Can you or can you not trust the media?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by UNphiltered_khaos, Jan 7, 2016.

1. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In the U.S., just 6 corporations own 90% of the media we consume. And I hear people always talking about what they read or seen via the various forms of traditional media. People accept it as 100% truth and go about their lives. But when Cognitive Dissonance sets in and those same people will tell you that reporters are sensationalist, chasing headlines and the news can't really be trusted anyways.

So which is it? Do they deliver untarnished, unbiased REAL information? Or are they sensationalists searching for the next big headline, willing to distort and twist?

Brian Williams, anyone?

Alexander Amnell likes this.
  2. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I only follow the big stories shared by multiple outlets on the news, like Earthquakes etc. The rest is from social media.

Yeaster and Marsigne like this.
  3. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

I trust them enough for what concerns authenticity of information; though of course no piece of info can be absolutely unbiased as journalist are human beings with past experiences and emotions that are going to affect the way they view the world whether we like it or not.

I am more worried about the amount of exposure certain news receive compared to others. Certain topics I perceive as being extremely relevant get considerably less screen time/page space compared to other things I consider of secondary importance. Also when some details get emphasized while others barely get a mention.

4. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No.

Never trust the Media alone.

Everyone has there own bias and the Media is no different.

Plus the Media is a businesses over everything else and the Media does the best way to earn money, pander to the general audience that watches (to keep them watching).

If majority of the programs viewers are against some current event, then the Media will do it's best to make the viewers feel like they are right and keep them satisfied.   If something comes out that would make the viewers even have the chance to think that they were wrong about something, they would never report it.

Example:

Any info on the news (here in America) about Japan is about Japan being "weird".  Even if they have to report false info about it (lol What is fact checking? lol).

If someone where to actually go to Japan, they would be disappointed to see that it is perfectly normal.

Marsigne likes this.
  5. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    How does the media make its money? Through advertisements. Who can afford the cost of airtime on traditional media? Corporations.
    Who owns the media that runs the ads? Corporations.

I have a very hard time believing that the media will run any story that will pander to the general population. They run stories that further the interests of their sponsors, who in many cases, the sponsors are owned by the same company that owns the media running the sponsored ads.

Do you remember all the lies we were told about the second war in Iraq (the first one was rife with lies, too)? the media lied about Vietnam, the media lied about WWI, the media lied about the USS Maine. And the general populace never wins when war breaks out. It is always those with money, and those who make the weapons that get richer during wartime.

I feel like the medias job is to form the opinions of the general public. Not to pander to the general mood. More and more people are ditching traditional media in droves. So much so, that CNN a NEWS network, was openly discussing running reality TV shows so that viewers would start watching again.

Now stir in this little ditty: https://www.rt.com/usa/propaganda-us-smith-amendment-903/ and you can see that trusting the news (in the US, at least) is increasingly an act of denial. http://www.businessinsider.com/ndaa-legalizes-propaganda-2012-5

AwesomeCool likes this.
  6. Mihel

Mihel Veteran Veteran

Do you think non traditional media (I assume you mean the internet, correct me if I'm wrong) is inherently more honest?

7. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would be lying, and quite disingenuous if I said yes.

I definitely don't think they have the same agenda. They don't have the same monied interests backing them. With non-traditional media it becomes a little easier to spot biases, and outright lies. Not much, but a little bit easier. 

I feel like the reason people are turning to non-traditional media is the outright lies and biases that are bandied about on the National news. There is no real questions being asked by reporters of our politicians. If you watch any of the press conferences at the WH, the only reporters asking meaningful questions (and ruffling the feathers of the politicians) are FOREIGN reporters.

And I am quite certain that non-traditional media can be baited by the propaganda that congress has authorized for the American people, as well. So every bit of info you acquire through any channel is probably a mix of truth and lies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
  8. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's up to you to pick and choose what you feel is important, as with anything else.

If some disaster occurred and they're spinning it in a way that tries to get public opinion to come together to hate on a specific group for not doing anything about it, it's up to you to either just accept that, go find out more, or just ignore it and move on.

Marsigne and Mihel like this.
  9. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Here are my biggest problems with the monied media:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/01/lusitania-salvage-warning-munitions-1982

(The Germans sank the Lusitania, claiming it was transporting munitions. British and US both denied accusations, claimed it was a passenger ship. Munitions confirmed.)

http://www.pbs.org/crucible/tl10.html

(possible boiler explosion in the engine room, sold to the public as a spanish mine destroying the US ship)

http://www.history.com/news/the-gulf-of-tonkin-incident-50-years-ago

(Supposed attacks by Vietnamese torpedo boats, also a big lie)

http://www.prwatch.org/books/tsigfy10.html

("eyewitnesses" said Saddam Hussein's soldiers were throwing babies out of incubators in the hospital.)

The problem with being left to sort things out, is the fact that at least 4 wars in the last 120 years have been touched off by complete BS in the media. Most people don't want to spend the effort to confirm or deny the media they consume they just accept it as fact, which has caused nothing but trouble. A lot of these events took place outside of the ability for an average person to confirm for themselves these events took place, yet in every case, millions of people were turned to hatred based on the lies.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/05/george-stephanopoulos-discloses-75-000-contribution-to-clinton-foundation-207120

(George Stephanopoulos gave a huge chunk of money to Hillary's foundations, THEN had the audacity to conduct an "unbiased" interview.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
  10. Pahhur

Pahhur Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    When it comes to facts (things like people died here, or this crashed, or there was an earthquake) you can pretty much trust any of the major outlets that at least "something" happened. Some may be a bit fuzzier than others on the details, but it's safe to bet they are generally on the mark. Anything else, you can't really believe anything they say. I've found the only way to figure out what's going on is learn it myself. If I'm wondering about specific numbers you can usually use google to find an official document somewhere with the numbers you need. (Like accident reports, crime reports and other stuff put out by agencies like the FBI, CIA, etc.)

Point is if you have questions, you have to keep an open mind and look for the answers yourself. You can use the internet to prove any point you want to now, so it's up to us to use our brains and keep figuring things out.

11. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's not a foolproof solution, but it should give people that have the capacity to seek out the truth a direction to go.

Naturally, if everyone demanded sources for every news report, journalists would probably need to be more careful with what they say.

Another way to solve the problem is to stand against the media outlets directly.

In this day and age, where crowdfunding, social media, and the internet in general provides you with an extremely large reach, you can create your own news outlet based on "objective facts" and "honest news" where you say nothing but the truth. No bias. No spin-off. No personal opinions.

If you can add enough cat pictures it might just be enough to pull people away from big corporate and onto your own channel.

12. Chickenlump

Chickenlump Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I find that most news outlets post about the same news, but the opinions shoehorned in alongside it differs. 

News channels and stories ought not to have opinions thrown in.

I feel I can trust the news being reported by the media, but dodging 'our opinion is fact' is quite difficult, so I try to keep away from most news outlets on television. 

As much as I read in general across a vast variety of websites daily (none of which are news related), I still end up absorbing all the news anyways from all kinds of different sources.

13. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    http://www.democraticunderground.com/1017206873

When corporations write advertisements, and the media calls it "News".

Since I have found it nearly impossible to find a non-biased, factual news source, even online, I tend to read a wide variety, from both "liberal", "conservative" or in-between ideologies, though I avoid Fox "News" and MSNBC like the plague. It has caused me to greatly loathe both ideologies equally. The problem I have discovered with online content is that it's a lot more vitriolic to those of differing opinions. Spelling and grammar are not the most developed skills of the American people.

14. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    No, you can't trust the big traditional medias. But you can't really trust smaller non-traditionnal ones either. Basically, it boils down to understanding how a certain media might be biased (who owns it, what are the views of the particular journalist, what the media's goals could be, etc.) and get your news from varied sources to cross-check them and try and get as clear a picture as possible.

But yeah, some news outlet are beyond redemption, broadcasting outright lies and whatnot, and are not even worth considering (Fox News in the US, Sun Media in Canada, etc.).

15. Alexander Amnell

Alexander Amnell Jaded Optimist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
       I trust America's media to be honest about as much as I trust America's political class to tell the truth when running for office. Which unfortunately means a lifetime of experience tells me that they're all as dishonest as children standing next to an empty cookie jar. It's embarrassing to admit as an American but if I had to pick a mainstream news outlet to trust to give me relevant information on America I'd pick BBC. Fox is bought by one side, CNN and MSNBC by the other and they all spend so much time stirring people's emotions up in support of their own political dogma that the amount of information actually gleaned by watching any of them is negligible at best to begin with. When as a journalist you begin your story through the eyes of 'the right side' proving wrong the ignorant stupidity of your sides opposition your story will end up very biased, especially when both sides of that political coin outright lie to their supporters about what they stand for and what they hope to accomplish.

The only way to truly know what is going on is to pay attention to both sides (not through mainstream news, I generally frequent talk radio (marginally more honest most of the time than blogs/internet news which are marginally more honest than big news) and judge the contradictions (at least where policy is concerned) off of FOIA records (although oftentimes anything important is redacted until decades after the incident), the various statistical data recorded publicly by the government itself in to many different acronyms to list(which ironically puts the lie to the political bs more often than any other source, if only more people would fact check the inane statistics fed to them by the political class on a daily basis we might not be on the brink of electing a war criminal or a tantrum throwing manchild to the highest political seat in the country.) and a healthy dose of (un)common sense. The saddest part is, the majority of people won't do this, and we'll all suffer eventually as a result.

16. UNphiltered_khaos

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016