Can you sell your game with the pre-made resources of rpg maker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kururu2

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
Just the title; can you sell your game with the pre-made resources of rpg maker? Or you have to do your on tilesets and stuff?

And if i want to make a free game i can use all the resources of rpg maker???

Sorry for my bad english D: thanks for taking your time to read this :3

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you want to make a commercial game with, say, RPG Maker VX Ace, then you need to own RPG Maker VX Ace. Additionally, that allows you to use only the basic resources provided in the engine. If you want to use resources made/edited by a person, you'll need to contact them.

Free games allow you to use anyone's resources, but you will still need to own the specific engine on which you are making the game.

Hope this is helpful : )

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
And remember - even when you're making a free game you should pay attention and read terms and conditions of using stuff, that you're downloading from internet.

Of course, when you're making a small free game I think nobody will care about that, but if you want to make a free game fully legally, then you should watch out.

For example I found a site with fonts. The fonts were for free, but only for personal use. There is my e-mail asking about more info:

* ME *

Hello there,

I would like to ask a question, sorry if my English is not 100% accurate,

that's because English isn't my main language.

The question is about free* fonts.

I've read the FAQ and I know I can't use these fonts in a computer game, but

does that means for both commercial and non-commercial games?

I'm looking for a font for my free game, which also supports Polish signs

and I found your site.

I don't need any problems, so I'm just asking to be sure.

I'm looking forward for your answer.

Thank you for understanding.

* - Free font with Desktop License

* RESPONSE *

Hi Rikifive,

In order to use the font in a game (free or paid), you’ll need an application license.

For that font, the app license costs $60.
I don't think they would do something with me if I would use that font without buying that license, but who knows. =)

I found other site with free fonts, that I can use in my game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Rikgive: please don't colour your text red, this is reserved for staff members, thank you :)

@kururu2: you can sell your game if you're using the default graphics, sounds, and songs that came with it. If you've added anything custom, you will need to check if the person who created it allows you to use it commercially.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
I didn't use red, I used brown... (that's what palette says)

Well... I understand, sorry.

*aw... I used that everywhere all over the place, sorry*

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Free games do not allow you to use ANYONE'S resources. There are plenty of resources around that have been ripped from other games. They can't be used. Store resources can only be used if YOU have bought the pack. Some resources are shown just to get feedback, not with the intention to be shared.

Just don't use colours unless there is really a need. For the most part, they make posts difficult to read anyway - I'd rather read something in plain black text that's easy to understand, than something with colours and fonts and sizes where the person has gone to a lot of trouble to make it pretty, forgetting it's WHAT they've said that's important.

CytheGuy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RPG Maker VX Ace lets you sell your games commercially. The community DLC Pack (free) is royalty free, so you can use that too if you want.

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I keep seeing posts referring to the "community DLC pack", but nobody links to it. Where is that? I looked in the download center and pinned threads throughout the forum and didn't see it.

Sorry if I just hijacked this thread... didn't mean to.

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
If you're using steam version you can highlight RPG Maker VX Ace program in your library and click "DLC" on the right side. This DLC will be shown first as free to download.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
All resources that come in the default RPG Maker program are free for commercial use in RPG Maker.  You may sell your RPG Maker game that uses those resources.

However, if you plan to sell your game, I recommend making at least some custom graphics (like character faces and title screens) - these make the game more enjoyable and signal to potential customers that you have put some effort into your game.  Non-custom tilesets and battlers, if well-constructed, are usually forgivable.

CytheGuy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey,  sorry for getting off topic, but how do you create a post/start a discussion?! I've looked all over the website, and can't seem to find out how to do this! Any help would be appreciated.

(Sorry again for getting off topic, really wish i new some technical support email or something like that!)      

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
To start a new topic/thread/discussion go to the correct sub-forum and simply click "Start New Topic".

CytheGuy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank You so much! I needed this badly for help with my game!

Rikifive

Bringer of Happiness
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Other
Make sure you will post that in correct sub-forum, don't follow the example shown in screenshot. =P

It depends on your question. =)

CytheGuy

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I keep seeing posts referring to the "community DLC pack", but nobody links to it. Where is that? I looked in the download center and pinned threads throughout the forum and didn't see it.

Sorry if I just hijacked this thread... didn't mean to.
I did a google search on this, I found a post about this, but according to the post it said that there were some problems with the download not showing up in the dlc folder.

Here's a direct download link for the community DLC. https://s3.amazonaws.com/prodcartassets/42471/rpg-maker-community-dlc.zip

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is getting quite off-topic.  If you have queries about the community DLC, either go to the topic dealing with the Humble Bundle, or start a new topic.  Thank you.

@kururu2

Has your query been answered fully for you? 

Ely

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Do you guys know if I can sell a game using characters from rpg maker xp if I own xp but I make it in rpg maker vx ace?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes you can - assuming you also own Ace ;)

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Ely , please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.
In today's seminar:
Presenter: In the past, there was a saying, "One who has tuberculosis is doomed for life." But now-
Everyone: *starts coughing in unision*
Gosh... Today seems too much like a good day to do nothing....

I need to keep myself focused...! :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bibopp