Can you use .ogg AND .m4a on Mobile Exports?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Deployment' started by Kudin, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey all,

I have seen some conflicting answers about this topic and even saw the same question asked on the video series RPG Maker has been relasing on YouTube (which has been amazing, by the way!), but the answer there just confused me even more.

I read that any mobile RPG Maker export requires all of the music to be in .m4a format. Is this true? Can I have a mixture of .ogg and .m4a? Likewise for playing on PC, can we only use .ogg or can we use .m4a?

So I guess my question is: Will .ogg AND .m4a work on iOS, Android, AND PC exports? Or do we need specific formats for specific platforms?

I ask because I'm having a custom soundtrack made and need to let my composer know what format is required. Since I plan to relase on Android, iOS, and PC, should I tell him both formats? Does it matter?

I'm just worried that I'll test the project after having music produced and have it not work on any given selected platform.

What about sound effects?

Thank you!

2. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I would assume the same as VX Ace?

3. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I've been out of the RPG Maker scene for a good 10+ years, so I'm unfamiliar with what that is.

Plus, to my knowledge, RPG Maker VX Ace didn't let you export to mobile platforms, which is the source of my confusion, as I read that different platforms required different extensions.

4. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    it didnt but music is music and im sure exporting to IOS it will bundle the music with the application

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You will be able to find out in less than 2 days.

Kudin likes this.
  6. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    True...but in order to get a definitive answer for myself with the program I'd need to buy a Macbook earlier than expected in order to export to iOS, then have our Android tester test it out early for the Android export, then also test it out on the PC, exporting the 3 different types of files with both types of audio files to see which would work. 

I was hoping somebody would know beforehand so I don't have to keep my composer waiting, but you are correct in that we could just figure out the answer for ourselves when the product comes out. 

I apologize for asking such a trivial question given that it does come out shortly.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kudin:

Not neccessarily - you might have to do that to answer the questions yourself, but in two days everyone (including those who have the needed devices) can test and answer it.

Additionally, before launch the NDA's are still effective, which means even the people who currently have the answer would need to get approval before they are allowed to answer. And I don't think that anyone will go through that procedure to give the answer two days early, especially as most of those people are really busy preparing for release...

Kudin likes this.
  8. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Aaah I see. I hadn't thought that question might be something that would require approval, but it's totally understandable. 

Thank you for clarifying. :)

9. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Seem like iPhone and iPad at least does not support OGG

https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/AudioVideo/Conceptual/Using_HTML5_Audio_Video/Device-SpecificConsiderations/Device-SpecificConsiderations.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009523-CH5-SW1

Kudin likes this.
  10. Mikuri

Mikuri Princess Veteran

First Language:
    French
    At least it ain't hard nowadays to convert files.

We'll know soon in any case.

11. Ichida za Zeal

Ichida za Zeal Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm just going to play it safe and have all the music in .m4a.

12. kaukusaki

kaukusaki Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I still use MIDI. I hope it's supported...

13. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    I like midi, its easy to use and its small enough it doesn't take up a lot of space

14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Problem with MIDI is that it's not an audio format, it's a notation format - and the resulting audio depends on the wavetables used, which means that one and the same MIDI will sound differently on different devices.
    And if you get tricky and use a wavetable for an instrument that doesn't exist on the player synthesizer, then that part of the MIDI will remain mute...

All of which means that for multidevice output, MIDI is especially questionable

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
  15. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    what would we use thats small enough? MP3 seems too big.

16. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nothing is smaller than MIDI - exactly because it doesn't contain audio data but uses the device wavetables to synthesize audio.
    You can only choose between a MIDI whose audio experience depends on the device or an MP3-type compression that needs more data but is the same everywhere.

A lot of games moved away from MIDI exactly because their audio output should be identical everywhere - otherwise music downloads would use MIDI instead of MP3 for instrumentals.

For small RM-Games every developer has to make that decision him/herself. If you have good music you might want to keep using OGG or MP3, but for beeping MIDI is enough.

(However, I don't know if MIDI is still supported - don't have access to MV yet)

17. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    the problem with mp3 is that if you use it for background music or battle music it can start adding to the space no? so would you recommend OGG to cut down on a game going from 1-2mb's to 5-6mbs

18. Naridar

Naridar Giver of omnomberries Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    The problem is that in VX Ace, OGG was the only format that had support for built-in custom looping as far as I remember (I most definitely only used OGG for this purpose). Converting audio is a no-brainer with Audacity, but loop support is something I definitely wouldn't like to see gone.

19. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know, you'll have to test it. I've some knowledge about what the formats are due to family members whose computer I support, but haven't worked with musics myself.

20. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    interesting. thanks.