Canini's Steam Workshop (Scenes, Guides and Maps)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Canini, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I did not really know which forum to post this in (either videogames or art) or even if it was worthwhile to post at all! In the end I figured it could not hurt and if there is no interest in this particular forum the thread will simply naturally move down into obscurity when other threads arrive, as it should be. If a mod wants to move the thread to another category they are more than welcome to do so! Also I want to try and become more active in this community again, particularly when it comes to content creation.

So here goes!

Garry’s Mod for those that are not aware, is a sandbox game for the Source engine (used by Valve to create Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life, among other things) that can be used from everything to creating screenshots and movies to create elaborate contraptions and map that can be uploaded to a workshop so that anyone can download and use them. It is a very similar system to the rpgmaker workshop in practice although Garry’s mod is centered around it to a much larger degree. Recently I have begun ever so tentatively experiment with content creation for the workshop in order to further my knowledge of the Source engine and the programming language LUA.

I have so far made a couple of rather simple maps and a couple of mechanical dupes but I want to create something more unique. But what to do? Garry’s Mod has achievements, although the majority of them are jokes such as destroying/creating specific things an absurd number of things. This got me thinking however, if it would be plausible to create an achievement map to get those achievement easily but still in a completely legit way? Achievement maps, for those that do not know, is custom maps created to facilitate getting harder achievements in various games without downright cheating. Garry’s Mod does not actually give you anything for completing all the achievements, so this is purely for fun!

I thought that this would be a fun challenge and set out to work! I set out to create a map for this achievement (since only 2.2% of the playerbase has it):
    [​IMG]

To make it as simple as possible for the user I decided to use the premade sandbox map that comes with Garry’s Mod to create a so called premade “scene” that can be loaded by the user over and over. The achievement is about destroying 5000 things with the destroyer tool, and them most obvious hassle will be spawning all the objects. If you spawn to many at once, the game may even crash! After experimenting a bit with the upper capabilities of Garry’s Mod I settled on a map with 200 skull objects. These objects are welded into the ground so that they do not move, saving a bit un computing power. If the player removes all of the skulls with the remover tool they only have to load in the scene a total of twenty-five times in order to get the achievement!

That is still a bit more than I would have liked but still better than manually having to spawn 5000 props by yourself in small bursts. I reset my achievement progress to test it and it works wonders! I also had a friend and subscriber to the scene test it out as well. So that is what I have been working on. I hope this little insight into the development progress was interesting even if you personally may not play the game. If anybody else have any workshop items to show off they are more than welcome to do so! In the meantime, if you have a steam account, I would greatly appreciate if you visited my workshop and gave it a thumbs up to help it spread! We’ll see if I upload anything else!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1271844317

2. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I personally would have used an E2, combined with a console command (to rapidly spam remover) to do this.

Canini likes this.
  3. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I am not sure that will work. I did some research and the achievement only works if you manually use the remover tool. Redos/cleaning up the map, console commands etc do not count towards it.

4. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It would. There is a command that fires your SWEP. If you use that with the removal tool, then it works. Also, a CS Lua could easily get you the achievement. I know of a server with allowcslua 1 too.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Canini likes this.
  5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I feel like this would be best in Video Games, so I'm going to move it there.

Canini and Windows i7 like this.
  6. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish