Cannot wrap my head around custom tilesets [FIXED]

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Greentea-Blue, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Greentea-Blue

Greentea-Blue Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [EDIT] Thank you Hyouryuu-Na (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?members/hyouryuu-na.104669/) and Bex (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?members/bex.18432/), i've never been more happy to see colored squares in my whole life.

Hello. I've been working with custom tilesets for around two days now and I absolutely cannot get them to work.

I'll show you the problems i'm having, first, i'll create a tileset.
    [​IMG]
    The tileset is just a few randomly colored 48x48 squares, I put them in a 48x48 grid on a canvas the is the same size as the "Dungeon_A2" tileset included with RMMV.
    Now, i'll export it with no scaling, so the image stays at 768x576, than import it into RMMV using the resource manager.
    Once it's in I made another tileset in the database and made the image I just exported, named "Example_A2", the ground tileset.
    [​IMG]
    In that image, you can see me selecting it within the database, the image looks exactly like how I exported it.
    Now, after making those the ground tiles I selected the new tileset I immediately noticed the preview looks vastly different to the original image.
    [​IMG]
    And, when I try to place some tiles down on my map..
    [​IMG]
    The "Blue" tile appears to be the brown tile and it acts very weirdly, placing a quarter of the brown tile down and sort of auto-tiling them.
    [​IMG]
    The "Red" tile places a quarter of both green tiles, and does sort of a autotiling thing.
    I really need help with this.
    PS, weird file names are a result of laziness.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. Hyouryuu-Na

Hyouryuu-Na Poker-faced creepy girl Veteran

First Language:
    Bangla
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't mess with the A tiles so I maybe wrong. But I think youre having problem with autotiles. The first few rows in a A2 tileset are autotiles. Open up an inside A2 tileset and see how it's made.

Greentea-Blue and Bex like this.
  3. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A5 is the Place to insert those. But keep in mind A5 got a different size than A2.

Greentea-Blue likes this.
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Greentea-Blue
    there are six different tilesheet formats, your tilesheet uses the B-E format.
    The other five formats are A1 to A5, and each slot in the tileset can ONLY take the format it is intended to hold.

Which means a tilesheet formatted like you described can only be used in one of the slots from B to E.

Please check the help file for the other tilesheet formats, and I suggest you search the official blog for a tutorial called "anatomy of an autotile" to learn how to make autotiles for A1 to A4