Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,

I googled this and searched for a while but none of the solutions provided worked out for me.

So I wanted to change the game's default font to ''Apple_Kid''. I therefore copied the font to the font folder of my project like so:

m1sAMqZ.png

I then edit the gamefont.css using notepad wrong screenshot below, I do have "apple_kid.ttf":

pSzLPfP.png

Then I go under "file" and "save" and finally close the file:
HHRw8zZ.png

After that I try launching the game but I keep getting this:
a1zTHLD.png

after waiting for a while, it just doesn't work and I get a different error message:
UgWEq3l.png

I've tried changing the font name to remove the underscore, removing the "" and other font names but nothing ever worked. Even going back to the default font didn't work anymore.

I thought it might be a plug-in problem? I only have a few:
nFVE3ix.png

The setting for message styles are as following:
QO27kZX.png

I've read in other threads it might be my antivirus but I don't have any installed.

So I've tried every single solution I found on the net and on my own to no avail. I have no idea why it's not working as I've watched videos on youtube who simply change "gamefont.css" and it works just fine for them.

Suggestions?

EDIT: Actually, the game runs fine if I use the default font: "mplus-1m-regular.ttf". It's only when I try other fonts that it crashes.

OnslaughtSupply

Ssshhh...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try renaming the font to mplus-1m-regular.ttf

RisenAngel

Sanely Insane
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Did you try to include the file extension? If not, try putting "apple_kid.tff" instead.

If that doesn't work...I don't know. There are some fonts MV just doesn't like, for whatever reason.

Kacie

RNGesus
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would say try Yanfly's Load Custom Fonts.
Which is located right here.
Note to run this program, it may require Yanfly's Core Engine.
Which is located here.

After installing it in your /plugins/js folder and loading it up into you plugin manager,
make sure you have the font you wish to use located in your /fonts/ folder.

Now you have two options, from the YEP_LoadCustomFonts plugin.
Font Filenames and Font Families.

Under Font Filenames put the file name including the .ttl extension you wish to use there.
Under Font Families, you should put the Font Name of the font.

The Font Name can easily be found by opening the .ttl font you want to use and checking the top left corner for the "Font Name". After that, you can just close that and then enter the Font Name in the Font Families field. After that, you should be all set.

Just make sure when setting things up, Yanfly's Core Engine located above Yanfly's Load Custom Fonts.

As well, there is Yanfly's lovely Message Core which can control the fonts for messages.

Zizka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kacie:
You mention the .ttl extension, don't you mean the .ttf extension (True Type Font)? I'm kind of confused now.

Also, if I use the plugins you've mentioned, do I need to change the gamefont.css as well?

Anyways, here's what I tried (note that I'm currently using the default font in gamfont.css at the moment otherwise the game doesn't load).

BP5WWOK.png

As you can see above, I checked the name of the fond which is: Apple Kid.

Under Font Filenames put the file name including the .ttl extension you wish to use there.
Under Font Families, you should put the Font Name of the font.

The Font Name can easily be found by opening the .ttl font you want to use and checking the top left corner for the "Font Name". After that, you can just close that and then enter the Font Name in the Font Families field. After that, you should be all set.

So basically what I end up with is:
5gRO013.png

When I launch the game though, I'm still stuck with the default font:
tMBrX6u.png

I mean, the font Apple Kid is supposed to look like this:
YWWlHId.png

Last edited:

King Gerar

White Wolf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Convert the font to .otf format e test again, changing gamefont.css file.

Zizka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@King Gerar :
Ok, I converted the font format through the website you kindly provided and made the change in gamefont.css.
jXpqFX6.png

So now it works for the main menu at the title screen:
2mOHf8I.png

But it still doesn't work in-game. I'm still stuck with the default font then.

EDIT: Ok, as it turns out, the font does work if I turn off the font plugins I have activated before:
oKmlbcS.png

The problem here is that I'm losing my speech bubble. So I need this plugin to work here:
D0Y9WtH.png

which for some reason doesn't want to implement the "Apple_Kid" font.

Ok! I got it to work! I had to refer to the "otf" extension in the plugin as opposed to ttf.
x0BFSwN.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I finally played Persona 4 to see what it's all about. I'm like wait...what the...this is JOJO!
Map025.png

The second settlement you'll visit in my newest game. The small village of Teytal.
sketch 4 an opening cinematic in my gameeee >:]
Untitled_Artwork_16.jpg
oh god how do I add pictures on here it keeps saying i need a link <--( suddenly forgot how technology works )
avery wip.png

"i have to work in like 5 hours ... let's start the main character's face set"
--me, an adult for the past 20 years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rehnstillnight