AiNaKa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I put the font into the fonts folder and i typed the font's name into the GameFont file and now the project crashes. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, as far as I know I did it right and I can't see that there are extra steps. What do I do?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I assume when the project crashes, you get an error message? What is it? Hit F8 and go to the console (NOT the elements tab) and get a screenshot.

AiNaKa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I assume when the project crashes, you get an error message? What is it? Hit F8 and go to the console (NOT the elements tab) and get a screenshot.
1620383547485.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that basically means you typed the wrong name into the gamefont, or made a typo when doing that.

as a reminder: the fontname is not always the same as the font filename, that is where most people make mistakes.

AiNaKa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
that basically means you typed the wrong name into the gamefont, or made a typo when doing that.

as a reminder: the fontname is not always the same as the font filename, that is where most people make mistakes.
where do I find the name I'm supposed to type in then?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
doubleclick the font - Windows should show you all data then

AiNaKa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
doubleclick the font - Windows should show you all data then
So if I'm to assume it's where it says "Font Name" then you must be wrong. The name of the font is Apple Kid, and when I type that in, same error. The default font is named M+ 1m Regular, if I type that in, still same error. If I type in mplus-1m-regular.ttf though, it works, but not if I type in apple_kid.ttf which was the first thing I did to get this error.

CG-Tespy

Professional Persona Panderer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're altering the font through gamefont.css, then you need to make sure that not only did you enter the font filename, but the extension, too. otf, ttf, etc. Not the family name.

For example, I have a font file called Amaranth-Regular.otf. Here are the details:
File name: Amaranth-Regular.otf
Family name: Amaranth
Extension: otf

If I wanted to use that in my project, I'd have the gamefont.css file look like in the picture I attached to this post.

Oh, and it's usually better practice to set your game's main fonts through Yanfly's CoreEngine and MessageCore plugins. They're pretty essential for MV games.

Attachments

• fontEditDemonstration.png
    fontEditDemonstration.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 0

AiNaKa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
If you're altering the font through gamefont.css, then you need to make sure that not only did you enter the font filename, but the extension, too. otf, ttf, etc. Not the family name.

For example, I have a font file called Amaranth-Regular.otf. Here are the details:
File name: Amaranth-Regular.otf
Family name: Amaranth
Extension: otf

If I wanted to use that in my project, I'd have the gamefont.css file look like in the picture I attached to this post.

Oh, and it's usually better practice to set your game's main fonts through Yanfly's CoreEngine and MessageCore plugins. They're pretty essential for MV games.
I literally said that I tried "apple_kid.ttf" and it did not work. I already have those plugins though, what should I do?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it did not work. I already have those plugins though, what should I do?
that you have the plugins may be the reason why it didn't work - plugins work by overriding the existing code, and if you have a plugin installed that sets the font, then it will override the original font setting no matter what you enter there.

in such y case, you need to follow the plugin instructions on how to configure it to get the correct font working.
ALWAYS configure a plugin as soon as it is entered and before adding anything else. A lot of so-called "bugs" are simply because people think they can add and ignore plugins.

AiNaKa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
that you have the plugins may be the reason why it didn't work - plugins work by overriding the existing code, and if you have a plugin installed that sets the font, then it will override the original font setting no matter what you enter there.

in such y case, you need to follow the plugin instructions on how to configure it to get the correct font working.
ALWAYS configure a plugin as soon as it is entered and before adding anything else. A lot of so-called "bugs" are simply because people think they can add and ignore plugins.
what am i supposed to do exactly? I can't tell, the font option in the plugins is merely set to "GameFont". What should I put there instead? I assumed it meant the GameFont file but I already changed the ttf in there.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't know the plugin - that is why you should read the plugins help section and/or website for its instructions

AiNaKa

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I don't know the plugin - that is why you should read the plugins help section and/or website for its instructions
Well the tutorial I watched DID take the plugins into account, but it said to just leave them like that really. And the problem persists even after disabling the plugins, so clearly there's a greater problem here.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Playing my game to improve my game. (Totally not procrastinating)
Hope he recovers fast :|
Looks like it's functional:
It's a common thing to forget eating &drinking while you are working concentrated, right?
If I had discovered RPG-Maker before moving together with my girlfriend, I'd have died of dehydration a long time ago.
Ami
trying to change my picture & got screwed up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryweuu