Can't delete a folder

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Elliott404, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliott404

Elliott404 RookieGameDev Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This been bugging me for awhile but, no matter how many times I clean, arrange my project folder, there is this one folder I can't delete no matter what. It says it's not located in the folder anymore and have to verify its location.
    This happened for long time when I've clicked a new project, and by that making new project mid-process, I've clicked cancel since I've changed my mind. Ever since then, it's stuck in the projects folder till now.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    where did you create the folder? what is its exact name?

Windows has some idiotic redirects, including one that moves a folder to a restricted other folder if you try to create a folder where you are not supposed to create one. And to allow for compatibility to older windows versions it then pretends that the folders in the new location are still in the old location despite the redirect.

But as said that can only happen if you create a folder in a place where the user should never create a folder, like for example "Program Files (x86)"
    And we need to know more details to help you finding out where your folder is now.

3. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom, Ham of a Hamster Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Usually I solve ir by restarting the pc, either it disappears or reappears and I can delete it.

4. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar
    I didn't create it in such restricted folder. I've created it in my regular folder located in desktop. Although I've managed to delete everything in that folder, but that folder itself doesn't get deleted. I've called it Dark btw.

@Poryg
    Never worked for me, sadly.

5. Heartbreak61

Heartbreak61 Wandering Noob Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    From quick googling, I found several ways to fix this. But I guess the easiest one is this.

1. Right click on the folder

2. Select “Add to archive” option (Make sure that you have WinRAR installed on your machine)

3. Tick ‘Delete files after archiving’ check box displayed under ‘Archiving options’ section

4. Leave all other settings as they are and click ‘OK’ button

5. .rar will be created on your machine, and your painful folder will be deleted automatically

6. Now you may delete this *.rar file whenever needed

7. That’s all

I guess any kind compression program will work as long as it has option to delete the source folder
    Source:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...is-the-response-when-i-try-to?forum=w7itproui

6. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't have that option. . I can't do anything with this file. . .

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    please give the filepath to it - there are reasons why I asked for this.

for example depending on your windows version there can be up to three different desktop folders that are combined into what you really see on your desktop, and only the filepath can really show into which of the three desktop folders that folder is stored.

8. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Really? How can I know the filepath?

9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    right-click the folder that you can't delete, then properties, then look at the place or filepath given there. I don't know how it is called in your windows, I have a German windows).
    after that you have to go to that folder manually from "your computer" to gain access to the real folder and change its properties.

If you can't access that you need to tell me what windows you have so that I can guess where the desktop folders are.

10. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have Windows 10

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    then go to c:\users (might be named differently if you have a non-english windows.

you'll see several "pseudo-users" in addition to your real username. please enter everyone of these users and go to the desktop folder there, checking where your damaged folder is. It might even be in multiple of those users. (at minimum two additional folders to the official)

If you find it, right-click it to get to the properties and make sure that neither itself nor any files in it are write-protected. confirm that with OK (might take several minutes if the computer needs to find and remove write-protections). then delete it.

If you still can't delete it, tell me the full path where you found it.

If you don't find the damaged folder in any of those desktop folders, you need to search for the foldername to get its true position on the computer.

12. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've found an unknown file named Dark like the folder but, it's weird because the location is right at the user folder while the file I am working on is in the project folder that is located in the desktop, And I can delete that too.

I've tried to force delete it once in that javascript-like software once, I couldn't do it because I didn't want to ruin my pc-

EDIT: I've moved that unknown file in the folder, and it copied it to the same location.

13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Elliott404 you are now on my ignore list and I will no longer try to help you.
    When I ask a question I expect to get an answer to it and not something completely disconnected to to that question. And this is not the first time you completely ignored my questions that way.

14. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to ignore you, I was trying to understand your questions without troubling you.

15. Elliott404

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Finally deleted that sucker. After a long term of understanding what filepath is (somewhat), I at least know how to locate a folder--
    And, the most effective method was to archive the folder which it made me realize that I didn't have a winrar till now.
    I'm so sorry for all the misunderstandings, and troubles I've caused.

16. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.