DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi all

I'm wanting that classic look of a bust then script, like the image below -

I've tried both Fomar (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/files/file/32-restaff-september-2012-release/) and Galv's (http://galvs-scripts.com/galvs-message-busts/) scripts but I can not seem to get either to work. I tried Fomar's first, couldn't get it to work, so got rid of it then tried Galv but still no luck.

With Fomar I will follow the instructions but will get this as the result -

And with Galv this -

The setup/files/events I have set up for Fomar are as such -

And Galv like this -

From what I can tell, I am following the instructions but getting no results; I must be doing something wrong but being quite new to script I can not work out what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Use the 'normal' window for the dialogue, not the semi-transparent one.

EternalShadow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do you have any events on that map that are turning on switch 1?

To be safe, put the switch that disables busts to something like 99, within Galv's script.

Last edited by a moderator:

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Do you have any events on that map that are turning on switch 1?

To be safe, put the switch that disables busts to something like 99, within Galv's script.
Thank you! That cracked it, I think the switch I had for music was tampering with it.

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hotfirelegend, you wouldn't happen to know if Galv's script interrupts switch function generally would you?

Only, now I have it working, I've made an autorun event that has the character talking, I've then placed a switch to go to the next 'page' and turn that event off (so it won't keep running) and when testing the game now the text doesn't show at all :/. Remove the switch and the second page, it runs fine.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
DShroom, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

No, those scripts don't interrupt switch functions - they do exactly what they should, and the mistake was on your side.

Scripts (several of them, not only galv's) can and should use switches to be controlled from the game. For that to work however, the developer needs to configure the scripts and set the correct switches inside those scripts (and reserve/name them in the project database).

Galv's script uses switch number 1 for this by default - and because you didn't read (or didn't understand) that it needs a switch, you made the mistake of not reserving switch 1 (or changing the script configuration to a different switch).

That's all the cause for the bug - there never was an interruption of the switch's function, the switch was just used in two different places because you didn't realise that.

DShroom

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi Andar

Apologies for the double post, some forums prefer it and some prefer editing. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Thank you kindly also for telling me about the switches used in the script, I did actually manage to work this out on my own and realised I was being a right donut.

However the snide tone could have been avoided from your post. I wasn't trying to insinuate the script was broken or cause any kind of upset or argument I was simply inquiring, it clearly works as I have seen it work. I am inexperienced with scripts but learning and did not understand the set up correctly, was not sure why it wasn't working and decided to return to my thread to ask if any issues may have been reported before (I did search the forums but was not able to find anything); knowing full well there was likely an obvious solution.

I notice your first language is German, perhaps the issue is in the translation, but I actually find your somewhat aggressive tone quite unprovoked. I politely ask that perhaps you consider being a little more patient with learners in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.
Just doing some tileset tinkering again...
rux
Someone please help me make my game.
I need someone to volunteer, I am on my knees man.
I made my own pizza. First critique, more chicken next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingmart420