Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, I am new to rpg maker MV and I have downloaded the full suite of Yanfly's plugins. I ordered everything in the plugin line up EXACTLY as shown on Yanfly's website, but I can't test any battles now because it is saying I have a bug. I don't know any Java whatsoever, so I was hoping someone could help me out... Thanks ahead of time!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    202.8 KB · Views: 10

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Plugin Support. Thank you.

Could you please edit your post and replace the title with something meaningful? Almost everybody wants help with something.

My guess is that you've set up a note tag that refers to a skill id, but that skill has not been defined (or has been deleted).

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
like shaz said, but keep in mind MV dont use java, but javascript (js).
java is a very different language as well.

but alot of people wont click "HELP!!" titles, but suite is more like:
"YEP plugin battle error" or similair of the error you have specific.

this way, people that use battles with his plugins can help you on the solution.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you said that you ordered the plugins correctly (which is a good start), but have you configured them as well?
Alot of plugins absolutely require configuration, they cannot work as-is without configuration.
and "of undefined" basically means that the engine is missing data.

the two most common causes for that are missing plugin configurations and loading an incompatible savefile after adding plugins.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[move]Plugin Support[/move]

Could you please edit your post and replace the title with something meaningful? Almost everybody wants help with something.

My guess is that you've set up a note tag that refers to a skill id, but that skill has not been defined (or has been deleted).
Will do. Sorry, it's my first post here ever. What is a note tag. and is there a way to tell which skill id? Thanks again!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you said that you ordered the plugins correctly (which is a good start), but have you configured them as well?
Alot of plugins absolutely require configuration, they cannot work as-is without configuration.
and "of undefined" basically means that the engine is missing data.

the two most common causes for that are missing plugin configurations and loading an incompatible savefile after adding plugins.
No. I haven't configured anything. That's probably it. Any quick resources I can use to tell what needs to be configured? Thanks!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
like shaz said, but keep in mind MV dont use java, but javascript (js).
java is a very different language as well.

but alot of people wont click "HELP!!" titles, but suite is more like:
"YEP plugin battle error" or similair of the error you have specific.

this way, people that use battles with his plugins can help you on the solution.
Cool, got it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any quick resources I can use to tell what needs to be configured?
everything.
the usual way is to add a plugin and then configure it completely before adding the next one.

adding more than one plugin at the same time has a lot of disadvantages in bughunting and configuration, exactly because you never know which plugin an error comes from if you add several without testing each of them one after another.

that goes especially when plugins like the yanfly suite may contain parts that are never meant to go together, like the different battlemodes available there. I don't think there is any working game using all of those plugins...

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
everything.
the usual way is to add a plugin and then configure it completely before adding the next one.

adding more than one plugin at the same time has a lot of disadvantages in bughunting and configuration, exactly because you never know which plugin an error comes from if you add several without testing each of them one after another.

that goes especially when plugins like the yanfly suite may contain parts that are never meant to go together, like the different battlemodes available there. I don't think there is any working game using all of those plugins...
*sighs*
Ok. I REALLY don't want to have to uninstall them all. It took like an hour to install them all... Can I just turn them off one by one?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*sighs*
Ok. I REALLY don't want to have to uninstall them all. It took like an hour to install them all... Can I just turn them off one by one?
It seems like you're really enthusiastic and jumping in with both feet, but my strong recommendation to you is to slow down and learn some things. Here's what I suggest to help you:

1) Ditch all plugins and do a tutorial to learn how to use MV and make a sample game. Basic logic says you should know how something works before you change it.

2) Actually consider plugins. Just getting the entire Yanfly engine and dumping it into your game is, frankly, a terrible idea - no game will ever use all of the plugins in there, and in fact some of them contradict each other. The only reason to add a plugin is because it offers something you want to implement right now.

3) An extension of the first step (which is to learn how to use MV) is to learn how to use each plugin. Every Yanfly plugin comes with extensive written documentation which you can read in the plugin help file or on his Web site. It also includes a descriptive and tutorial video. You saying that you not only didn't configure any plugins but don't even know what a notetag is means you're completely unable to use about 90% of those plugins. Almost zero of his plugins just do something by themselves, they require you to learn what they do and set them up. Just installing all of the plugin library and running a test battle (even if it didn't crash) would look basically the same as the default game.

4) When you have actually decided which plugins you want to use, install them one at a time, reading the documentation, setting the parameters in the configuration, and putting their code into your game for testing.

To more strictly answer your question, yes, you can go to your plugin manager, select all, right-click, and turn OFF. Then...see my steps above.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok. I REALLY don't want to have to uninstall them all.
theoretically, you can simply go through every installed plugin and do the configuration now.
the problem with that approach is that you can't get any worthwhile test until you finished configuring every single one of them, which will take you a few days.
and if you make any mistake in that process, then there is a high chance that you have no indication as to which plugin has the mistake, simply because you made so many configurations at once.

It took like an hour to install them all.
why do you have a problem with a single wasted hour?
that is nothing, I can guarantee you that you'll have a hundred or more wasted hours of game developing before your first game is complete.

In fact, we advice most people to start with a scrap project for tutorials to learn the engine, fully knowing that they will scrap that project after a few dozen hours of learning - because that is still easier than trying to make your first project into your first game and ending up scrapping the entire project after one year because you made too many mistakes in the first months that can't be repaired anymore.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It seems like you're really enthusiastic and jumping in with both feet, but my strong recommendation to you is to slow down and learn some things. Here's what I suggest to help you:

1) Ditch all plugins and do a tutorial to learn how to use MV and make a sample game. Basic logic says you should know how something works before you change it.

2) Actually consider plugins. Just getting the entire Yanfly engine and dumping it into your game is, frankly, a terrible idea - no game will ever use all of the plugins in there, and in fact some of them contradict each other. The only reason to add a plugin is because it offers something you want to implement right now.

3) An extension of the first step (which is to learn how to use MV) is to learn how to use each plugin. Every Yanfly plugin comes with extensive written documentation which you can read in the plugin help file or on his Web site. It also includes a descriptive and tutorial video. You saying that you not only didn't configure any plugins but don't even know what a notetag is means you're completely unable to use about 90% of those plugins. Almost zero of his plugins just do something by themselves, they require you to learn what they do and set them up. Just installing all of the plugin library and running a test battle (even if it didn't crash) would look basically the same as the default game.

4) When you have actually decided which plugins you want to use, install them one at a time, reading the documentation, setting the parameters in the configuration, and putting their code into your game for testing.

To more strictly answer your question, yes, you can go to your plugin manager, select all, right-click, and turn OFF. Then...see my steps above.
Ok, i didn't realize they yanfly had contradictory plugins.

That was my mistake then. I thought since they were a collection they would all integrate. I noticed some that looked like they wouldn't work together, but I just assumed it would give me like an option menu or something. I'll slow down, no biggie. And thanks for the advice. It is well received. I knew I'd have to learn them, but not that they'd have to be set separately. Thanks for the quick responses!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
theoretically, you can simply go through every installed plugin and do the configuration now.
the problem with that approach is that you can't get any worthwhile test until you finished configuring every single one of them, which will take you a few days.
and if you make any mistake in that process, then there is a high chance that you have no indication as to which plugin has the mistake, simply because you made so many configurations at once.
Yeah. it's probably significantly faster to just start over.

why do you have a problem with a single wasted hour?
that is nothing, I can guarantee you that you'll have a hundred or more wasted hours of game developing before your first game is complete.
I know that. I just started with it like two hours before starting this thread. It's just annoying that I did all that work for no reason when I could have spent it learning something useful. Oh well, live and learn I guess. At least I got y'all to point it out super early haha

In fact, we advice most people to start with a scrap project for tutorials to learn the engine, fully knowing that they will scrap that project after a few dozen hours of learning - because that is still easier than trying to make your first project into your first game and ending up scrapping the entire project after one year because you made too many mistakes in the first months that can't be repaired anymore.

Yeah... Unfortunately, that's what I thought I was doing XD

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That was my mistake then. I thought since they were a collection they would all integrate.
The intent of the Yanfly Engine is not to slap everything into one project - as with all plugins, an individual thing should be added because it's a feature you want. They're just all written by the same author.

There is a tutorial built into MV, if you click on Help; there are also guides in the tutorial forum here, and pretty good YouTube series by Echo607 and SRDude.

Then, when you understand the basic software, always read instructions of any plugin before trying to use it :wink:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

@Idonthavearealusername , please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can use the "Edit" function on your posts to add additional information you've forgotten or respond to multiple people. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Always a good idea to just start with nothing, and only add things in as you need them. If you do this with both scripts/plugins AND resources (audio/graphics) you'll avoid a whole lot of bloat in your game and won't run into issues when you deploy with "exclude unused files" when there are resources that are used only by plugins.

There ARE some things that are needed in the img/system folder, and some audio files specified in the System tab which either need to remain in the folders, or set to None in the system tab until you get the right audio, but this is how I start every new serious project (where I'm not just mucking around / testing things).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Tiamat-86 wrote on Andar's profile.
tfw just trying to help and get yelled at. /comfort
:LZSooo: Gotcha Gotcha Games... have launched an official discord server for RPG Maker. :LZSooo:

doodled a poring today :kaoluv:
uc
Fire-Emblem Style Level Up System, Boost on Class Change, And Animated Arrows | RPG Maker News #115

Why keyboards don't sleep? Because they have two shifts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dramacoolanetamak