ZackNH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There was a Windows 10 update yesterday, and now MV won't open. It shows the splash screen like normal but when it disappears the actual program doesn't start and Steam says it's no longer running. The update didn't affect VX Ace or any other programs/games I have, just MV.

WHAT I TRIED:

1. Rebooting the computer (twice)
2. Verifying integrity
3. Uninstalling and re-installing MV
4. Checking if I was somehow in a beta
5. Launching the program from individual project folders
6. Checking if drivers are out of date (someone said something about drivers being deleted by updates, but I wouldn't even know how to tell if that happened because I don't know what driver are, honestly)

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
drivers wont be deleted by a update.
Win10 have troubles with the latest software, and not all software is updated
to run on win10 smoothly.

there are work around to make it work and there are people who using MV on win10.
but alot also have trouble on win10 (I skip win10 because I hate that version personally)

what you can try is, right click the software and go to properties, tab compability,
and check win7, so it will think it run on win7 (sometimes this work, other times
it doesn't)

but you need to look for many solution on this forum and elsewhere by google it.
mostly with terms "solve rpg mv win10" "open rpgmv on win10" and around that.
use different but also slightly modify the terms for different solutions.

ZackNH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
drivers wont be deleted by a update.
Win10 have troubles with the latest software, and not all software is updated
to run on win10 smoothly.

there are work around to make it work and there are people who using MV on win10.
but alot also have trouble on win10 (I skip win10 because I hate that version personally)

what you can try is, right click the software and go to properties, tab compability,
and check win7, so it will think it run on win7 (sometimes this work, other times
it doesn't)

but you need to look for many solution on this forum and elsewhere by google it.
mostly with terms "solve rpg mv win10" "open rpgmv on win10" and around that.
use different but also slightly modify the terms for different solutions.

Maybe I worded my post poorly because you seem to be under the impression that I JUST got Windows 10. I've had Windows 10 for 5 years, my current computer came built with it and has never even had Windows 7 on it, and I've used MV for 848 hours with no issues. It's this specific version update that's problematic. I don't even know if the update is the problem, it just started happening around the same time so I assumed that's the cause. No one else on the forum seems to be having problems with the new update, so that might not even be the issue.
I checked properties and there is no compatibility tab, and even if there was I don't know why it would even have a Windows 7 option.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've updated my computer just recently, too, and haven't experienced any issues. This could possibly be related to something else. Have you downloaded or uninstalled anything during the time frame of it working and not working? Have you changed any restrictions or any settings in Steam, itself?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can you roll back to the previous version it worked on?
do you use win10 home/premium edition? maybe enterprise/ultimate?

some home edition version are also different depending on the built.

does this happen on the steam edition? if it was, does the problem exist on
the stand alone edition as well (or vice versa)?

the compability tab is there to think it run on a different OS.
window 7 has the ability to let it think as XP, vista, etc (no win8/8.1 or 10).

sorry if I was direct not knowing you used win7 before (should ask before that) apoligies
for that one.

ZackNH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've updated my computer just recently, too, and haven't experienced any issues. This could possibly be related to something else. Have you downloaded or uninstalled anything during the time frame of it working and not working? Have you changed any restrictions or any settings in Steam, itself?

The only thing I've downloaded was Halo 3 because that just come out on Steam.

can you roll back to the previous version it worked on?
do you use win10 home/premium edition? maybe enterprise/ultimate?

some home edition version are also different depending on the built.

does this happen on the steam edition? if it was, does the problem exist on
the stand alone edition as well (or vice versa)?

the compability tab is there to think it run on a different OS.
window 7 has the ability to let it think as XP, vista, etc (no win8/8.1 or 10).

sorry if I was direct not knowing you used win7 before (should ask before that) apoligies
for that one.

I checked the updates page on the Settings, and it won't let me load older versions. It claims that I last updated over 10 days ago, but it was yesterday. It's possible that the previous version was deleted by CCleaner, which I ran earlier today.

fluffymonster

She's So FLUFFY!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you check for Updates, does anything pop up?

ZackNH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When you check for Updates, does anything pop up?

It did say that there was an update, but after downloading it and then sitting through the PC reboot, MV still won't start.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
problem with win10 is, it forces to download updates, install it mostly when the pc isn't busy.
you dont have control over it.

updates doesn't get deleted either because windows needs them.
CCleaner = 1 of the worse software that break pc's and I can name a couple of them
which should be avoided.

you can check if you have framework 3.0 up to 4.8, as well for C++ (should be 4 or 6 of them.
which MV uses. I can check until much later this day to figure it out for you.

I hope you get it up and running, you can try a different pc if you have.

ZackNH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
problem with win10 is, it forces to download updates, install it mostly when the pc isn't busy.
you dont have control over it.

updates doesn't get deleted either because windows needs them.
CCleaner = 1 of the worse software that break pc's and I can name a couple of them
which should be avoided.

you can check if you have framework 3.0 up to 4.8, as well for C++ (should be 4 or 6 of them.
which MV uses. I can check until much later this day to figure it out for you.

I hope you get it up and running, you can try a different pc if you have.

I think I have framework 4.0, at least that's the highest version I found in Registry Editor.

The Apps & Features page of Settings says I have over 20 C++ files going as far back as 2005 (which is weird because this computer is only a few years old). Two of them say "2015 - 2019" and I can't find a 2020 version on the Microsoft website so I assume that's the newest version.

What free software should I use other than CCleaner? I've used it for years without any issues (as far as I can tell). My income is far too irregular to justify any kind of subscription service regardless of the price, so it has to be free.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I use Advanced SystemCare (free version) and it does pretty good its job, in case
you want to check on maleware, and othervirusses, run Emisoft Emergy Kit (once per 4month
or 6 months (also free).

if you scan you system every 2 week, and rest on autoscan every day, your better and system
stays cleaner than CCleaner.

CCleaner, Spybot (search and destroy), HitmanPro, and some other do more harm, than
clean your system.

even though the system get cleaner, Ccleaner also remove files that your system needs.

The reason you have C++ 2005 to 2019 is because some microsoft software require
those version (older), the the newer version require 2019 one (mostly the main system.

NET FrameWork is up to 4.8 and CLR up to 4.

Now I dont know how it does for win10, but 4.5 is mostly required for most system from
win7 to win10.

the how or why your software doesn't open is unknown though.
if you use steam RPG MV, can yo try the stand alone version of MV and see if the problem
is the same else vice versa?

ZackNH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried downloading 4.8 but it told me it's already on the computer, which is weird because I didn't see it installed, but whatever I guess I was looking in the wrong place or I missed it somehow.

I can't try the non-Steam version of MV because I already used the 20-day free trial (before I bought the Steam version) and there's no way I'm paying $80 to buy it just to find out if Steam specifically is the problem. I assume the trial version detects your PC and not the email you give it because that seems like it would be an easy exploit to just keep giving it new emails.

At this point, it feels like there's no solution and I'm just out of luck and have to abandon MV. I'd rather not go back to VX Ace, and when MZ comes out who knows when there will be a big enough sale for it to be reasonably affordable.

ZackNH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was inspired by this thread (https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/mv-wont-open.101123/) from 2018 to check my drivers to see if any had actually been deleted.

I don't know what any of these are or what they do, but after checking all of them in Device Manager, these are the sections that had no drivers:

AMD SMBus
direct memory access controller
high precision event timer
numeric data processor
programmable interrupt controller
system speaker
system timer

I don't know what these are, what they do, or if they were always without drivers or not.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Did you uninstall the windows upgrade? (I fear it might not work.)
Did MV get updated?
Do you use something like System Restore? The one that keeps copies or images of your installed DLL's...
Did you check if your new game installed or overwrote any dll?
Did Steam get updated?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
6. Checking if drivers are out of date (someone said something about drivers being deleted by updates, but I wouldn't even know how to tell if that happened because I don't know what driver are, honestly)
1) the "driver deletion" problem is actually something else. The driver is not deleted but replaced by a wrong one.
The problem is especially bad for RMMV because RMMV absolutely requires OpenGL (RMMV does NOT support DirectX because the editor has to run on MacOS and Linux as well), and OGL is a competition to DirectX. So the Microsoft-programmed drivers often limit the support for OGL.
If you get a display driver from the hardware manufacturer, then that will always include the OGL for your display card. Because DirectX is Windows-only and if you want to go multiple-OS then the OGL is pretty much the only graphics driver available to many operating systems.

But if you get a display driver from Microsoft, the OGL is often reduced or omitted. But if that Windows-Update made that driver into the latest one, then no autoupdate will replace it. You'll need to manually install the driver from the hardware manufacturer to force the OGL back into function.

The same goes for a few audiodrivers - although RMMV problems caused by wrong audiodrivers are rarer than the OGL problem.

2)
AMD SMBus

Please check if you have the chipset drivers for your mainboard installed. Sometimes the mainboard manufacturer send their drivers to Microsoft (and then there is no need for a special driver), but other mainboard require them due to the limits that Microsoft enforces on driver programming.
MS requires drivers to be optimized for stability and base functions, and that sometimes drops the speed too far (which is why not all drivers get approved by Microsoft Quality Labs).

The other listed devices are either included in the chipset drivers or really don't need any driver at all.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm still undecided weather or not I should add minor swearing to my game. Like I'm going for an all ages demographic... but the idea of a cartoon character saying dammit, hell, or crap in normal conversation is really funny to me.
If we assume an Elf's strong suit is Dexterity (AGI) & Intellect (MAT), I imagine Strength (ATK) & Constitution (DEF) would be among their lowest stats. But I'm having a hard deciding which should be lower, Strength or Constitution?
I'm really sorry to have to do this, but I'm going to have to start blocking those who repeatedly put up sexual content and offer absolutely nothing (that I've seen) related to what this community is supposedly created for.
Don't take it personal. I'm a rape victim with permanent injuries who can never enjoy 'it' ever again, so it's the last thing I want to have put in my face. :(
Check out my side project! It's a survival dungeon crawler! https://voidmoon-studio.itch.io/depths-of-delmora
RushLog wrote on HarlekinLehl's profile.
how do you attach those images to your posts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LilCronch