Can't open Yanfly Icon Generator

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Hibiro, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Hibiro

Hibiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So, I've had this issue with other things before, but now it's also with this. I have no clue what it's about, and there's literally NOTHING out there to help me. Leading be to believe it's just me, and there might not be any hope at all.

Whenever I open certain files made with or for RPG Maker MV, I get:

Parse.PNG

Happens with a lot of things too. If anyone is capable of helping, it would be much appreciated! Yanfly's icon generator is at:

http://yanfly.moe/2016/04/01/yanfly-icon-generator-rpg-maker-mv/

2. Whosthat

Whosthat Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As far as I know,  XXX.json - files are files created with Java - Script. Have you already installed a program called "Java Runtime Enviroment"? It`s required to open files created with Java. You can download it for free (That`s legal, of course, there are only free versions) on several websites. I don`t know any english Websites to download it from though since I always use a german website called "Chip" to do so.  

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2016
  3. Hibiro

Hibiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    See... I can't properly use RPG Maker MV without Java, which I'm doing just fine.

MV works fine, some other java-based stuff works just fine, but Yanfly's Icon Generator, among other things, don't work.

4. Whosthat

Whosthat Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, I see. Of course, plugins can be used in RPG Maker MV without having Java Runtime Enviroment installed. Also some other programms that use Java might work.

(I have to admit that the Icon Generator just has a pretty wierd format.)

Also, sorry if I got you wrong but the Icon Generator is not a script/Plugin but a standalone program.

Edit while writing this:

I`ve just downloaded the Generator, works for me, even without Java Runtime Enoviroment installed. Hoever ìt`s not shown as a XXX.json - File but as a executable aplication

As someone who has learnt English as a second language, I don`t get this: You can`t use RPG - Maker MV without Java installed but it still works just fine?

5. Hibiro

Hibiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, I've NEVER not had Java on my computer, so I just assumed I needed it to run and play the RPG Maker MV games.
     It was just a comment to point out that JRE shouldn't be necessary.

The Icon Generator is an executable for me too, but it still gives me that error when I open it, and other programs, usually ones with the RPG Maker MV icon in them somewhere.

6. Whosthat

Whosthat Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well then... I`ve got absolutely no idea why it doesn`t work on your computer. Sorry. 

In this cas the only one who cpuld possibly help you with the Icon Generator is Yanfly. Mayby you should give it a try and contact him?  

7. exsharaen

exsharaen Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian

Please distinguish Java and JavaScript; they are very different! Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (@Whosthat here's the official download page in English :) ) is only required by Java; JavaScript, on the other hand, is already supported on your browser (and usually your OS or any application that uses JavaScript, internally), so you can run it without installing anything else, including JRE. JSON is JavaScript Object Notation, so it has nothing to do with Java.

Now that's set aside, let's try to figure out your problem. I've downloaded the Yanfly Icon Generator on my office computer that does not have RMMV installed. It works nicely.

Yanfly Icon Generator.png

(pardon my network meter  :p )

Looking at your screenshot, it does not match with mine at all. Yours has a browser address bar (and buttons, which I reckon is Chrome's). So, I suspect you're not opening Yanfly Icon Generator executable (YanflyIconGenerator.exe) Googling for the error message, I saw your previous question, so could you maybe explain in more depth what steps you did in order to recreate the problem?

I don't know if this helps or not (doesn't hurt to try), but check your default browser setting and allow JavaScript. I can't replicate your problem though with my default browser blocking JavaScript...

Whosthat likes this.
  8. Hibiro

Hibiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Honestly? All I did was download it and the other programs sometime after I bought RMMV when it came out. I have tried uninstalling RMMV, and it didn't have any effect. Pretty much, I download, open the executable, and get that error.

9. Dad3353

Dad3353 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm using Windows 10. I've just downloaded the Yanfly Icon Generator (file received 249,778 Kb...). I ran it in directly, in the folder into which it had been downloaded. It ran, and, after a minute or so of setting up its files, displayed the User Interface as pictured above ^. 'New Icon Sheet' brought up an Icon Sheet, which I was able to save. No problems whatever. I have no idea as to any reference to .json files, Java, Javascript or JRE. I just downloaded it, ran it and edited an Icon Sheet.

If there are problems with it, I'd suggest that either the download is/was corrupted or you're not running Windows. It has nothing to do with MV, I'd say; the Icon Generator is entirely self-sufficient.

Not sure how much help this is, except to confirm that the download and running are about as simple as it gets.

10. Whosthat

Whosthat Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I see. Sorry, Igot this one wrong.

11. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    The error looks to me like a file is missing or corrupted. Have you tried redownloading the application? Are you fully extracting any zip files to a folder before running it? Running from an "archived folder" (a zip) will likely not work.

12. Hibiro

Hibiro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've re-downloaded it multiple times, and it still does the same thing, opening that node-webkit window and giving that error. As mentioned, it does it with other, similar programs too, usually the ones where the icon includes the RPG Maker MV icon in the corner of it.