Can't seem to get yanfly doodads to work for me

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Dungeonmind, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Dungeonmind

Dungeonmind Lvl 4000 Humanoid Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi everyone, I have been trying to get yanflys doodads plugin to work for Jesse's Medieval line of resources to make things easier on me, but everything fails to load. Here's an example image of that:

It will do this for every image if you click retry again and again it will cycle through them.

This is on a fresh project with ONLY Yanfly Core and Yanfly Doodads plugin activated. I have followed instructions carefully. The folders are all set up and I have the doodads data file in the data folder. I also have the most recent updated version of rpg maker mv which it also states on the developers site. I'm not sure what this issue is but I have tried renaming folders moving folders. In his plugin description, he says it can handle folders so I'm left with no other alternative but to ask you kind folks for some help.

Thank you for even reading my thread. Take care.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It has to be a file path issue, as indicated by the error. Double check in the plugin to see exactly where it pulls images from.

3. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @JGreene I have left it default from download and followed instructions carefully. This is the exact same setup for plugin and folder as directed by yanfly in his video.

*Also I will add that the thumbnails display correctly, so this leads me to believe it isn't a filepath error because the images wouldn't display in game and the image does display correctly in game and I am able to use that doodad and place it on a map before i get an error that it doesn't exist. The error happens slowly enough to allow me to do this. In fact all doodads work and display correctly just eventually the game will start throwing those what appears to be filepath errors.

4. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If the doodads stop working all of a sudden in game, there's some plugin or script call that runs after the doodads data is loaded that is causing this.

Also, it says in your image: failed to load imgs/doodads/Medieval...

But if there is a subfolder, like Buildings/ then it should have that in the error:
    imgs/doodads/Buildings/Medieval...

Dungeonmind likes this.
  5. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    They only happen after I have loaded them up in the doodads editor. If that helps any. I have all folders set up correctly directed by him in his video, so I'm not sure what to do. I really need this plugin and I'm depending on it to use the Medieval resources. I was about to buy the next pack but I think I want to hold off until I can get this resolved. Thanks @JGreene for trying to help me with this issue.

JGreene likes this.
  6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    please give the full path to the project, beginning with the drive letter.
    failed to load can also happen if the project is in a folder that does not conform to networking rules.

other than that, press F8 when that error happens to check the console for the full error sequence and give us a screenshot of that.

Dungeonmind likes this.
  7. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar Here's the screenshot of the errors. It can't find any of the files that its still loading in game. Are we not allowed underscores in file names? Do keep in mind that the doodads are in fact showing up in game and are placeable if I just keep pressing retry i am able to still use ALL doodads. So I found that weird.

and the full path is:

C:\Users\Justin\Documents\Games\Project5\img\doodads

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    underscores are allowed, but not spaces or non-latin letters or a lot of other symbols.
    can you give a screenshot of the doodads folder in windows explorer, and one of your plugin manager?

9. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep not a problem. I even included another screenshot actually in one of the folders. Please click the image to see ALL pictures.

10. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like I said, it's not reading the subfolder that your images are in. If you can't get it to do so, just move all your images out of that and to the main doodads folder. Though you shouldn't have to go through all that trouble.

11. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @JGreene There are over 25,000 files. Moving them to one folder would make it really hard to find a specific element like trees, buildings ect. On the developers site it says that it supports sub-folders and I have them set-up correctly. No one else seems to have this problem; I didn't find. I am using the latest version of rpg maker. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Darn it, I really was hoping we could get this to work. :(

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    this has nothing to do with the RM version, it has to do with the plugin.
    the plugin expects to load its images from the folder "doodads".
    you need to reprogram the plugin to accept files in a subfolder structure to be able to do that.

Ask Yanfly if he might consider this a feature to be added because it might help others organize their doodads as well.

13. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    http://yanfly.moe/2016/09/17/yep-116-grid-free-doodads-rpg-maker-mv/

On yanflys website it is already listed as a feature stating these exact words:

Doodads only have two requirements.

1. They must be PNG’s.
    2. They must exist within the ‘doodads’ folder (or specified folder from the plugin parameters) or within a folder inside the ‘doodads’ folder.

If a folder is placed inside of the ‘doodads’ folder, it will be listed as on the doodads list as a directory tree to navigate through.

*Also, it is shown in video working for him.

14. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep it works that way for me. Even with underscores in the folder name. I have some doodads from Point_08 and those load fine. @Iliketea has one folder with a TON of doodads and hers work just fine.

Try to download the doodads plugin again and grab the extension pack as well.

Dungeonmind likes this.
  15. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @JGreene I have already done that. I made a brand new empty project and I originally got everything including the extension that i later deleted.I re-added it now and it still doesn't work. What version of MV are you guys running? Because if your saying it works for you then I'm suspecting something else Because I have left everything default and followed yanfly's instructions very carefully and watched the entire video a couple times and this still happens. Makes no sense for this to happen if everything I did was as instructed yet it works for you guys.

16. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Pretty sure it needs to be MV 1.5 or higher for the extension pack. I say this because I made a plugin to fix a battle back bug caused by doodads at the launch of MV 1.5. Am still using 1.5.2 for my projects.

Dungeonmind likes this.
  17. Dungeonmind

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @JGreene Well I'm using 1.6.1. Is it possible that could be it? Because I mean I have heard updates to rpg maker mv can break certain functions in plugins. And we have already went through everything.

JGreene likes this.
  18. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's possible there could have been a change. I'm not sure if she has updated doodads since then. Maybe? And I'm definitely not sure of all the changes that came with 1.6.1 as I never updated to it. Probably better to look in the update notes on the site here and/or ask someone who can look into the plugin.

Dungeonmind likes this.
  19. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Dungeonmind
    you can downgrade a project in the same way as you upgrade it - don't forget the backup of the project.
    downgrading the editor is easiest by steam program properties, for the standalone you'll need to find an old standalone installer.

however there is a different possibility:
    perhaps the plugin fails to load the pictures because they're too big. those houses are large structures and intended for parallax mapping after all.
    so make a test where you deleted them and place reguloar-sized doodads into the same directory structure. If that suddenly works it's because those pictures are too big to be used as doodads...

JGreene likes this.
  20. JGreene

JGreene Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good point here. If that's the case, you can divide them in smaller pieces and place them together in game.