Can't start the maker anymore

Kallabagos

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, I'm using the RPG Maker MV since like 5 years never had any problems.

Now after I try to open it I get this like always:
rpgmv.png
But thats it the maker doesn't start after that.

I have the newest version via the steam shop.

Tried to open it via admin, restarted the pc, uninstalled it, turned of the steam overlay, nothing worked. Pls help me

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can think of three possibilities directly.

1) damaged program together with blocked steam download cache
If the steam download cache is damaged, all tries to redownload any program from steam will automatically fail.
Go to steam help to clear steam download cache, then uninstall MV, restart the computer and have steam reinstall MV only after that

2) antivirus update blocks MV due to false positive
one of your background programs now blocks MV because it falsely believes it to be a virus.
check your logs until you know which one and whitelist MV there.

3) either display driver or audio driver was changed to a version that does not support MV
This can happen because MV does not use DirectX, but OpenGL, and sometimes Microsoft-drivers mess with that.
Go to the manufacturer website of your display and audio chips, download the correct driver setup there and install it.
Do NOT use Windows driver update (that is what caused the problem), you'll need the setup from the manufacturer to get the correct driver if this happened.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Are you perhaps trying to open MV by opening a file? If so, Steam might be blocking MV from opening the file, and is asking you to confirm whether you want to allow MV to open the file.

The problem? The Steam window asking you this is actually hidden. You'll have to click on the Steam icon in the taskbar to actually see the window.

I noticed this problem with MZ, and a recent update fixed it. I'm not sure if MV is also affected or not.

Kallabagos

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can think of three possibilities directly.

1) damaged program together with blocked steam download cache
If the steam download cache is damaged, all tries to redownload any program from steam will automatically fail.
Go to steam help to clear steam download cache, then uninstall MV, restart the computer and have steam reinstall MV only after that

2) antivirus update blocks MV due to false positive
one of your background programs now blocks MV because it falsely believes it to be a virus.
check your logs until you know which one and whitelist MV there.

3) either display driver or audio driver was changed to a version that does not support MV
This can happen because MV does not use DirectX, but OpenGL, and sometimes Microsoft-drivers mess with that.
Go to the manufacturer website of your display and audio chips, download the correct driver setup there and install it.
Do NOT use Windows driver update (that is what caused the problem), you'll need the setup from the manufacturer to get the correct driver if this happened.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I already tried your two first points.
Im kinda not 100% sure what to do with your third suggestion, I'm a completly computer noob, so I have to open my Device Manager and then? Audio: "Intel (R) Display Audio" does that make sence? And where can I find my Display Chips? I'm sorry for my dumbness D:
Are you perhaps trying to open MV by opening a file? If so, Steam might be blocking MV from opening the file, and is asking you to confirm whether you want to allow MV to open the file.

The problem? The Steam window asking you this is actually hidden. You'll have to click on the Steam icon in the taskbar to actually see the window.

I noticed this problem with MZ, and a recent update fixed it. I'm not sure if MV is also affected or not.
Im not 100% sure if I unterstood you, I tried to open it directly in Steam and via my desktop icon of the game and I don't get asked anything after I did that. I just click on it getting the screenshot which I send here and thats it, usually the game started for me after a few second after the screenshotted pic

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Had this happen a few times, it's steam being wonky. You could try right clicking on the game in steam, go to manage ->verify integrity of game cache.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Draw something
Me: No problemo! ''draws something''
Now draw the same thing from a different angle
Me: So....You have discovered my weakness...
I got a new PC... Nothing wrong with my lil laptop at all! Still works great, and I'll be using it for school. But, the specs for gaming were falling off fast. So I was selfish and bought myself a beast of a PC ^-^
Newstuff.PNG

Held hostage in my own house half the day by an old man that cant take hints or read body language, STILL manage to make some pixels! booyah! I should get a promotion!....No wait...I should get a job o_O
Potions are to be hoarded, not used... >_>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azistara