CMaroon07

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey all,

I'm trying to make bridges over hills and ledges and such, but for some reason, my character can't cross over them. I checked
the passage for the bridge tiles and it's fine, so I'm not sure of the issue. I'm attaching a picture of an example, though it's not
for an actual design, it showcases my issue more clearly.

If anyone has any clue as to what the problem is, I'd really appreciate some help, thanks!
Screenshot (11).png

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The problem is with your cliff edge. It (probably) doesn't let your character pass to the left, so even though the bridge tile is passable, your character can't cross the cliff. This is by design, because you don't want your character to simply walk over the edge of a cliff, even if the next tile is a passable ground tile (which is presumably on a lower floor, so it makes no sense for your character to just cross over).

To fix this, you should use a regular ground floor where the cliff meets the bridge. A regular ground tile should be passable in all 4 directions, so it won't stop your character from crossing over to the bridge. It also makes it look like the ground is connected to the bridge, and serves as a visual indicator to your players that they can in fact cross over and the bridge isn't actually on a lower level.

And just in case you haven't noticed, the cliff on the left side is casting a shadow on your bridge, making it more obvious that your bridge is on a lower level and making it look like it's about 2 tiles farther north than your character is standing (judging by the elevation of your cliff and the lack of shadow under the bridge). As a result, it makes sense from a visual perspective that your character can't cross.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My first thought would be that the cliff edge tile is set to not allow passage to the left.

CMaroon07

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The problem is with your cliff edge. It (probably) doesn't let your character pass to the left, so even though the bridge tile is passable, your character can't cross the cliff. This is by design, because you don't want your character to simply walk over the edge of a cliff, even if the next tile is a passable ground tile (which is presumably on a lower floor, so it makes no sense for your character to just cross over).

To fix this, you should use a regular ground floor where the cliff meets the bridge. A regular ground tile should be passable in all 4 directions, so it won't stop your character from crossing over to the bridge. It also makes it look like the ground is connected to the bridge, and serves as a visual indicator to your players that they can in fact cross over and the bridge isn't actually on a lower level.

And just in case you haven't noticed, the cliff on the left side is casting a shadow on your bridge, making it more obvious that your bridge is on a lower level and making it look like it's about 2 tiles farther north than your character is standing (judging by the elevation of your cliff and the lack of shadow under the bridge). As a result, it makes sense from a visual perspective that your character can't cross.
Thank you so much, that worked! I'm relatively new to using this so I wasn't aware of why I couldn't pass through the cliff... kinda makes sense in hindsight lol

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is part of a mechanic to allow the engine to simulate a two-level-map when there is only one true level.
the wall-tiles of every tileset are in reality pairs of wall and ceiling tiles, with the player being able to walk on the ceiling tiles regularly, but needing an override (like a ladder) to go up to them.

in the outdoor tileset, those wall/ceiling tiles of the dungeon are used for the sides and the tops of cliffs, preventing people from passing over the borders unless there is one such override.

however any passable B/E-tile is an override, not only ladders - if you place a passable decoration like a flower on the cliff edge, the player can leave the cliff there. No matter if intended or not.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have something set up to allow you to also go UNDER that bridge, you might find that you can then walk onto that cliff from the side (where the bridge is), which is also undesirable.

You probably also want to use the shadow pen to remove the shadow from the left side of the bridge.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

IlluminaughtyStore.jpg
:kaojoy:
Welcome to the Illuminaughty store.
Yes... they are "wearing Illuminati branded everything, reclining on huge Illuminati body pillows. Occasionally they'll "teehee" at each other and have pillow fights with Illuminati branded pillows full of hundred dollar bills."
BCj
Working on Escalia again, feels good. Have this overwhelming urge to map as well, but need to get some extra tiles commissioned first :D
Lee Sang wrote on Bandito's profile.
Hi, I've just tried your plugin "Game is Active" and when I tested it on Android, it gave me an error, something about "Cannot read property 'underfined' of underfined.
With my project, I want the player to have access to all the tools they need to get from New Game to Credits as soon as possible; I want the player's progress to only be impeded by the player not knowing how to use the tools the game provides.
Just a little close up shot...
w2xZocX.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broskiman1