oooo191

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi everyone i was wondering if anyone could help me  :)  

Im looking for a way to make a car in RPG maker VX ACE to have acceleration, Brakes and smooth turning
i know using some Victor Ace scripts i can get multiple frames for the wheels but i was wondering if anyone
has a way to make a vehicle act like a vehicle for example a car from lets say retro city rampage or GTA 1 and 2
i can imagine this has either been tackled many times and im willing to go through hell and earth to get this to work
does anyone know a way :) thanks

:rock-left:

Arteria

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Bump - anyone got some car scripts?

DoubleX

Just a nameless weakling
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've searched and didn't found any :)

I'd imagine any such engine/system will need at least these components(each being an advanced complex script):

- Animation spritesheet handling script for displaying the cars driving with different directions and cornering(the animation spritesheets themselves won't be provided of course)

- Basic 2D kinematics script for replicating the cars' velocities and accelerations(the cars acceleration and deceleration settings, and maximum velocities are set by users)

- 2D collision detection and resolution script for basic shapes to mimic collision with the cars and other some objects(its difficulty depends on how convoluted the shapes are in your game)

- Basic friction script for simulating different behaviors when the cars drive on different terrains and perhaps weathers if you want(the terrain frictions and weather impacts are set by users)

I think all these are needed even if your car driving script requests are meant to be easy and simple.

P.S.: 2D pixel movements are actually needed too, but finding one that work for you should be easy :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
Don't think you need a script to achieved what you want if it's something like the old school race car mini game.

Seen an example before where all is done using eventing only.

Edit:

Gave it a try and turns out i only need 1 event on Auto to do the trick.

[1] Setup a race track map (Not the starter map)

[2] Put an event in the map and set it to auto (auto prevents the player from doing anything)

[3] In the event, do this:

Condition Check: Button pressed: C (C button to move)

Condition Check: Button pressed: Left (must be inside C condition check)

Move route : move left (speed down when moving left/right)

Variable A -= 1 (Set up a condition check Variable >=0 so it won't go over minus)

end

Condition Check: Button pressed: Right (must be inside C condition check)

Move route : move right

Variable A -= 1 (speed down when moving left/right)

end

Moveroute: move forward (move forward while C is pressed)

Variable A += 1

Condition Check: Variable A >= 60 (Acceleration Part)

Do nothing here           

else

Condition Check: Variable A >= 50

Move route : wait(1 frame) wait

else

Condition Check: Variable A >= 40

Move route : wait(2 frame) wait (the longer the frame wait, the slower the vehicle goes)

end

end

else

Condition Check: Variable A >= 0

Variable A -= 10 (Speed down when not pressing C)

end

end
[4] Give it a test, fix the player's facing in move route and change his/her sprite to a vehicle before transferring to the race track map.

Edit:

Well, it sounds complicated with words alone. Here's the sample.

Download Link: Click Me

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ok, to prepare for the GMTK Game Jam, I'm trying to make a game with the theme "The Cat's out of the Bag" in about 48 hours. I'd make a forum post with a question, but I don't have the time!
Worked over a week on a new BGM, and I'm finally happy with it.

Here are some screenshots of the area it will be used in
EzLHppdVIAMY7DP

EzLHpqsVIAEZ7jt
#WIP Metal Tactics's TBS (2015 vs 2021)
VSt9pWc.png
ZXnpNYY.png
RPG Maker News #14 | Diffused Screen Effects, Unsellable Items, Ambient Synths, Adult Woman Set
If kids are going to be taught on computers and have access to the Internet, some basic knowledge of copyright should be a part of the grade school curriculum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arby