Card Battle System Extreme Lag

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Jinell, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jinell

Jinell Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have purchased the Card Battle game by Irina, but no matter which computer I run it on it lags badly. Is there a way to stop it from lagging as I wish for it to run on many computers when the game is finished.

Moxy likes this.
  2. Moxy

Moxy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I bought it yesterday as well, and it runs perfectly fine on my desktop, which is a gaming PC. I'm out of town this weekend, and I keep my game on a flash drive so I can easily work on it on both my desktop and laptop.
    When I went to run it on my laptop (i5 dual core), it was extremely laggy. Not when the game was playing, but when I engaged the card battling system it would all of a sudden come to a crawl. It wasn't even playable to the point I had to press right several times and wait several seconds just to select the next card.
    I don't have a solution, but you're not alone with this issue. I'm not sure what specs are actually needed to run this at a reasonable frame rate. I'm currently reading the manual to see about turning off animations to see if that helps.

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I've moved this thread to Plug-In support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

With it being a plug-in you pay to get you will need to post on the forum for support on that. You'll have to go back to where you bought the plug-in and see what method they have for support, as only those who have bought the plug-in can assist you with it here.

4. Sissel Cabanela

Sissel Cabanela Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    While this may not have been posted in the correct forum initially, there is a bit of a problem with the site the game was purchased at:

The creator has no contact details. While they seem reputable enough, there is no link to contact Atelier Irina(The plugin in question is found here: https://atelieririna.itch.io/collectible-card-game) or there a visible 'Contact Support' anywhere in sight. I'm also getting the same issue and I'm unsure of what to do. The creator mentions version '1.6.2' a lot but despite all my googling, I can't seem to find a version above 1.6.1.

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You may need to contact itch.io then or see if there is another way to contact them, as we cannot support third party items and take no responsibility for third party items sold offsite. But I did do some digging to try to assist more and if you select to go to all sold by them, it will take you here: https://atelieririna.itch.io/ try the link to RPGMaker Portal, as that appears to go to their discord channel, maybe you can contact them there?

Also they do list an FPS improvement plug-in as a free one, maybe install that and see if it helps with your issue?

As for 1.6.1 vs 1.6.2 there is a very minimal difference in them (I think the only thing fixed was a small error on the Japanese deployment), but if you are using the steam version you should be on 1.6.2.

6. Moxy

Moxy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The performance plugin actually had negative effects on my game, but that could be due to the 62 plugins I already have.
    I read on steam that there was an issue with the Japanese version of MV and there was an incremental update which was 1.6.2, so they changed the number on 1.6.1 simply to follow suit. So there's literally no difference between 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 unless you're using the Japanese version.
    I had to skip on the plug-in since I'm utilizing Mog_Hunterd Chrono engine, and wish I would have noticed the the 1.6.1 disclaimer. I was so excited when I saw the video that I bought it right away.
    It is what it is though.

7. Jinell

Jinell Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I know some of you are probably lurking and hoping for a solution to this as the card game is pretty neat and very well done aside from the major lag issue. As bgillisp has mentioned, I have located the discord and will try my luck at finding her for this pressing matter, as this desktop can run several high end games without issue... but not the card battle on rpg maker mv.

In the meantime, I have tried the improvement plugin, but it has no effect on the performance, I also did some digging for 1.6.2 but figured 1.6.1 is the highest we all use for this. As mentioned earlier also the game runs fine while out of the card game, but only lags when in it, I have disabled most of the features in the plugin itself but the lag still shows heavily even on the desktop.

I suspect those who have it are looking for the answer or even a lighter version of this plugin (for those that have purchased it). I have not pressed on this issue hard because my game currently uses that system as a side mini game and isn't a super big deal... but I did already hire a few artists to do some cards that I would like to use in her game (I shouldn't have rushed without testing but it still runs...just laggy) but seeing as how more are showing up with the lag, I will now attempt to find her on discord or at least ask there and give the answer (if I can find her) to those here. Expect to wait though, maybe the weekend I will have a answer then or the latest Monday. If I don't reply then you can assume I died (or lost interest in finding the fix).

Dungeonmind likes this.
  8. Dungeonmind

Dungeonmind Lvl 4000 Humanoid Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Jinell let me know how that goes. I was very excited when I saw this plugin for sale as well. It is a steep price to be asking for 49.99USD if it isn’t optimized for rpg maker mv already. Aside from that I would like to know if there was anything she could do.

Moxy likes this.
  9. Jinell

Jinell Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No dice, the discord doesn't allow chat on most parts and the parts that do are for promotional or development. I even tried sending her a message directly but due to not being linked with her or friends, it sent back an auto-response. I don't think there is a solution to this unless she can somehow catch wind of this forum... but in all honesty, I am reluctant to add this to the core of my game because of the lag.

Extremely awesome plugin though, and I do recommend you get it if your computer is good...mine is good (can play multiple games without issue) but I will be getting a new one this year just because. I just worry it won't play well on other computers which could break immersion with the players.

Moxy and Dungeonmind like this.
  10. shenshinoman

shenshinoman Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello Folks, I know it's been about three weeks since anyone touched this thread. However I have been working with the card game plugins as mentioned as well.

I've found making the following changes will reduce the lag. (possibly eliminate it depending on the computer). Doing these has allowed me to play it on my cheapo laptop with an older I5 processor, not GPU, and only 4 GB of RAM. I still lag, but the delay is closer to 1-2 seconds. instead of roughly 25 seconds.

In the CardGameCore plugin,
    Set the Cad Back Design's Hue Shift Speed to 0.
    Set the Card Front Design's, Blend Mode Holo Hue Shift Speed to 0 as well.
    Set the Animate Card Options Default Setting to false
    In the Database, Common Events,
    Go down to the Update Pictures event (default 907) and delete everything between Comment: <Picture 1, 2> and Comment: <Erase Picture>

The changes in the CardGameCore plugin cause the card backs, and holographic cards, to stop constantly shifting colors, as well as removing several of the animations. The changes to the Database removes the spinning circle effect in the background of the card-battle. (You can also delete the Comment : <Picture 1,2> bit as it serves no purpose either.)

If I see any other changes that make a notable performance increase, I will add them to this thread.

Jinell, Moxy and Sissel Cabanela like this.
  11. Moxy

Moxy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the info! I'm going to make the adjustments and see how well it runs on mine.

12. Sissel Cabanela

Sissel Cabanela Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Made said changes. There is indeed a performance increase! That said, still looks almost nothing like advertised, you know? Surprisingly still choppy even, but that's obviously not your fault. I feel like the plugin creator just needs to make some sort of actual under the hood rehaul.

13. shenshinoman

shenshinoman Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, I've been going over the way the plugin is structured, and I am fairly certain the performance issue is very much tied to the high-customization-with-low-implementation of the entire project. (AKA, the fact you can change a large ammount of the game, without needing to know javascript or the like.)

It is running a lot of different processes constantly, and simultaneously, to keep everything up and running while implementing any customization from the developer. I am now trying to see what all we can safely remove/adjust, and how, to gain the largest performance increases, while losing as little as possible.(hence my first post. It was designed to keep as much as possible, while losing only the heaviest, but least necessary, visual affects.)

As I have already found a few things, I will post a list of more performance improvements a bit later this week. I am not doing so right now, as what I have found so far has been really minor. I want each update I post to make a noticable improvement for everyone

14. Moxy

Moxy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You'll be a hero if you can pull it off!

15. Jinell

Jinell Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I look forward to your findings. It's amazing aside from the lag. Your discovery has improved it greatly! Thank you.

16. sebbbl

sebbbl Villager Member

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi there,

Looking forward after this as I have the same issue. I've mailed the author, hope I'll get an answer.
    I don't really need all those animations, some of them can be hidden for my game. Any of you tried the demo game and had an error when opening a booster pack after a battle ?

Thanks for your answers !

17. dragon1up

dragon1up Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oft glad to see there is a thread for this already, have been speaking to the dev of course but no real support, outside of my testers had no issues at all of it. In regards to the overall design, I really wouldn't mind if they made it more jv scripted to have a lot less lag, I'm more than happy to jump into editing stuff in Visual to do my own stuff and edit it.

See below screenshots attached and Dev's email is also below, not used for shamming but hopefully bring to light that there is some flaws in the overall design of the card game plugins.

TLRD: I know RPG maker in gen isn't the biggest fan of AMD but other than being able to play all new games at Ultra etc without any lag of over 100 fps but having lag of this plugin collection just...you know annoys me ahah. Like for years, I've wanted to implement a good card game for RPG maker MV, due to being a fan of numerous TCG's. (For ref using RTX 2060 card 6g) The last response I got was Sept 2nd when I made a fresh project and still had major lag issues.

work plz.png
    rpgmakerplugins+Irina@gmail.com
    rpgmakerplugins@gmail.com

Attached Files:

Moxy likes this.
  18. sebbbl

sebbbl Villager Member

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For my part, 3 mails and still no answer. For a plugin that is sold for about 50 bucks, it's not serious. We're going to try to optimize the code to see if we can gain some FPS on slowest machines.
    I started by (over)compressing PNG images for the battle cards, with no picture weighting more than 90kB, it's better but not sufficient.
    My test laptop has a core M3 CPU, 4 GB RAM and a Intel HD Graphics 615.

Moxy likes this.
  19. sebbbl

sebbbl Villager Member

First Language:
    french
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some news : forcing canvas via community basic plugin solves the problem for browser games BUT it doesn't work well on Chrome. Tested fine on FF and Brave.

Moxy likes this.
  20. Moxy

Moxy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    By optimizing the code, do you mean turning it into an actual plugin?
    @dragon1up That's unfortunate that the dev wasn't of any help. I get it from their standpoint of the demo is working flawlessly on their end. On my desktop it works fine, but on my laptop it lags to the point of unplayable. I would love for it to work, but at this point I wish I could get a refund.