RMMV Card Master

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Pako, Jun 24, 2019.

?

Who's your favorite main character?

1. Tez

2. Erika

3. Lucius

4. Dawn

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

SYNOPSIS
    Cards are mysterious artifacts that exist in the world since its birth, and they allow people to control the forces of nature. Not only that, but over the years, the human kind has learned to craft their own cards. Now, almost everything is done with the use of cards, and the ones who battle with them are called Card Masters. Every 20 years, Utopia, a mythical card capable of granting any wish, appears on Earth, and all Card Masters battle for the honor of using it. In order to determine who's worth Utopia, The Empire, a political group that rules the world, has skilled Card Masters battle among themselves in groups of four people in the Card Master Tournament. The game follows the story of 3 childhood friends, Tez, Erika and Lucius, in their pursue to become strong Card Masters and have their most desired wishes come true. However, it's not going to be so simple, as strong adversaries will stay in their way to winning the tournament and, mainly, a huge mystery appears and raises many questions: What is the secret behind The Empire? What exactly is Utopia and, most importantly, what is the origin of Cards?

CHARACTERS
    Tez
    [​IMG]
    Tez is a rather simple-minded countryside boy who sees life in a very positive way. Despite being extremely oblivious, Tez has a huge heart and will do anything to help his friends when they are in need. When he was 9, his parents set off on an adventure to take care of something and never returned. Tez has incredible strenght and bulk, being the perfect physical attacker.

Erika
    [​IMG]
    Erika is a determined, and sometimes pretty bossy, girl. Erika lives in the same village as Tez and, since Tez' parents were believed to have died, her mother let him live with her and Erika. Since then, Erika has acted like a big sister to Tez and bosses him around up until the present days. She treasures her homeland, the Kokonoko Mountain, more than anything. She is the fastest of the group.

Lucius
    [​IMG]

Lucius is a humble and polite boy who likes learning about different topics of study, such as astronomy and sailing. Lucius lives in Port Harbor, a beachside village near Tez and Erika's place. Because his father is a sailor, he has travelled around the world and has way more experience than his two best friends. He is an average mage and has the highest Luck of the group.

Dawn
    [​IMG]

Dawn is a mysterious girl who becomes friends with Tez, Erika and Lucius. She has a bubbly personality, but can be pretty smart when she needs to. Despite being fragile in battle, she has the best magical potential of the group and can deal devastating magical damage to the enemies.

GAME MECHANICS
    It is a common turn based RPG Game, however, your characters' skills and play style are defined solely by the cards they use, giving you total freedom to build your characters and battle in the way you see fit!

In this game's world, people fight using powerful artifacts called Cards, being then considered Card Masters. There are 4 different kinds of cards and a Card Master can equip one of each.
    In order to become a skilled Card Master, it is important to understand the different kinds of card there are:

• Class Cards: These cards are synthetic, human-made cards that guide the combat style of the Card Master, as well as their weapon usage and mastery. Different Class Cards give different skills and define each Card Master's roles in battles. Being made by humans, these cards are obtainable with people, either in vendors, given as gifts or obtained through trading. There are 50 cards of this kind.
    • Element Cards: These cards are the essence of nature and are believed to be created by Cardnia, the Goddess of all Cards. They can be found everywhere around the world and usually their power creates certain unnatural ocurrings that indicate the existence of an Element Card around. The Element Cards give the Card Master elemental magic related to its inherent nature and define the property of the user (fire, water, wind, earth, light, dark or neutral). There are 50 cards of this kind.
    • Monster Cards: The wilds are inhabited by all kinds of monsters and beasts, and each species carries their essence in the form of Monster Cards. Defeating a monster has a chance of nature presenting the Card Master with the Monster Cards, so fighting more monsters increases the chances of finding their cards. There are rumors mentioning monsters having special variants that carry their species' essence so strongly that, when defeated, always leave its cards. Monster Cards gives the user unique skills and special passive abilities, like poison immunity or half MP cost. There are 50 cards of this type.
    • Special Cards: These cards carry powerful deities inside them and not only are very rare, but usually require particular methods to be obtained. Special Cards provide the power to summon its deities, thus allowing the Card Master to turn the tides of a battle. There are only 8 cards of this kind.

It is essential to understand the sinergy between these cards and come up with compositions that will give you an advantage in the game.

Can you prove you are the Ultimate Card Master by winning the Card Master Tournament and Finding all 158 Cards there are?!

SCREENSHOTS
    Title Screen
    [​IMG]
    Finding an Element Card
    [​IMG]
    Obtaining an Element Card
    [​IMG]
    Deciding on a composition
    [​IMG]
    Card Store
    [​IMG]
    Card Album
    [​IMG]
    CUTSCENE - 7th Card Master Tournament Opening Cerimony
    [​IMG]
    CUTSCENE - Dawn is introduced to Lucius
    [​IMG]
    CUTSCENE - Erika talks about her homeland
    [​IMG]
    CUTSCENE - Tez and Dawn stargaze
    [​IMG]
    Battle Scene
    [​IMG]
    Popoto Woods
    [​IMG]
    Kokonoko Mountain
    [​IMG]
    Port Rigvald
    [​IMG]

DOWNLOAD LINK

CHANGE LOG
    In order to correct the problems listed below, just download the game again and replace the save folder for the one with your save file
    CAUTION: if you re-download the game for whatever reason, remember to go to Options and choose the Difficulty you want to play, because it may automatically reset to "Very Easy" mode
    06/27/19 - The Medium Card's description in the Card Store was wrong - CORRECTED
    06/28/19 - Gift was healing only 500 HP when the target was under Cover's effect - CORRECTED
    06/29/19 - Difficulty Setting System added
    07/01/19 - The Mirror Card was suffering 1-hit KO from Demi Slash and 2000 damage from Vital Shot - CORRECTED

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I know someone who would be interested in your game and I just forwarded the link. He wasnt to do card games too. I guess you two can feed each other's inspiration ^^

Pako likes this.
  3. Clockwarkgate

Clockwarkgate RGSS2 User Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    this is interesting, the fighting concept that is.
    I'll check this out on my free time

Pako likes this.
  4. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sorry for not replying properly sooner! I had some complications x.x

@Marquise*
    I wouldn't call my game a Card Game because the player won't be building a deck or anything or the sort haha But I would love to exchange ideas about game design with your friend!

@Project CROSS
    Thanks!
    Don't forget to give some feedback when you play it ^^

Marquise* and Clockwarkgate like this.
  5. norman

norman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    hello.
    love the game.
    but how do you kill the big slug.

Pako likes this.
  6. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Thanks! It really means a lot!
    So, as for the bosses in this game, all of them have unique mechanics, so you have to think of how to defeat each of them.
    The Mama Slug is a defensive kind of Boss that always heals, revives and cures her allies, so you have to think of a way of crippling them down so you can defeat her.
    I will write some solutions in a spoiler, in case you want to reflect a bit about it yourself first

You can use status ailments like sleep or silence to cripple the monsters, or use area damage to kill them as soon as she revives them.
    Using a Sopphro Card also helps dealing with Spore.

as for damage, Tornado and the Eagle Bow are the best options to hurt her

7. granny steph

granny steph Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Well. I have tried 17 times now to defeat that 'Mamma Slug'. Getting to stage now of giving up on the game which would be a shame. I really need serious help please how to defeat it telling me which character should be what and the cards to use.

I have read your reply above but that is what I have been doing. Mmm!

Any chance I can send you my file for you to sort it please.??

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  8. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, try this, it's my favorite composition for this battle

TEZ: ARCHER, FIRE, MANTIS - Use the Eagle Bow, focus on keeping 2 attack buffs stacked and hurting the slug, use arrow rain when you are certain that you will kill the monsters
    ERIKA: ARCHER, LIGHT, SOPPHRO, LIGHT OF HOPE - Use her as a healer, and use Spore to keep the monsters asleep when you don't have anyone to heal. She can also help Tez killing the monsters with arrow rain
    LUCIUS: SORCERER OR ELEMENTALIST, FLOWER, SOPPHRO OR WONKEY - if you have the sorcerer card, use slumber or silent, if not, focus on using spore or provoke on the monsters. Use Aromatherapy if your party has any status ailment. If you have nothing else to do, use Tornado on the slug (if you are an elementalist).
    DAWN: ELEMENTALIST, WOOD, LUNA MOTH - Dawn will keep the party with regen, and focus on using tornado on the slug. When Tez and Erika use Arrow Rain, make her use creeper to make sure the monsters will die

Tell me how it went!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  9. granny steph

First Language:
    english
    Hi. Thanks for that. I don't have the card WOOD or HOPE. Where can I get these?

10. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You're welcome!
    You do have the LIGHT OF HOPE Card, because Dawn gives it to you as soon as she joins the party, it's a Special Card

As for WOOD, it's located right here

If you look closely, you will see that this particular tree is different from the others haha It's not one of the easiest cards to obtain, I confess
    [​IMG]

EDIT:

I didn't see your edit, sorry!
    You can send me the file if you want, but what do you want me to do exactly?

11. norman

norman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    hello.
    i can't beat the slug.
    i at level 9 i killed all the monsters.
    now i can't level up.

12. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah you're supposed to be level 9 at this point.
    The most efficient way of killing the slug is as follows:

Use Erika and Lucius to always keep the monsters under status ailments, the most efficient one in this part of the game is Sleep (which you can deal with the SORCERER and SOPPHRO cards), just make sure to not hit the sleeping monsters to not wake them up. If you keep them asleep, killing the slug is a piece of cake.
    Since the slug is of the Water Property, use Tez as an archer using the Eagle Bow you obtain in the forest and Dawn as an Elementalist so she can use tornado on it.

Using many Sopphro cards on the team to guarantee the sleep immunity and Mantis on Tez also helps a lot. It's better to use Charge and attack than just spamming attack.

If that doesn't work, I can beat it for you, if you want.

13. norman

norman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    hello pako.
    yes can you help me with this.
    if you can get pass the slug thanks.

14. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright!
    Send me your save file and I will defeat the slug and record a video of it, I think it will be educative haha ^^

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If might be a sign that the Slug needs to be nerfed at this point if everyone who has played the game so far can't beat it. Right it looks like it is set up to one specific strategy and if someone can't read your mind and figure it out then they will be stuck. So I'd consider nerfing it a little at this point, else you are going to get even more got stuck at Slug, I quit posts.

16. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, to be honest, I don't find the Slug that difficult. haha
    I had some Beta Testers test the game and, while Mama Slug is in fact more difficult than the bosses so far, it is the first one where you need to have some kind of strategy, and that's what the cards are for.
    Also, there's not only one way of beating her, I showed the way I use to beat her, which I find to be the most effective. My friends and Beta Testers, however, used different strategies to beat it.

On the other hand, I'm still open to changes in the game, and If I see I really need to nerf the slug, I will do it. I am going to see if there's more people stuck in this boss, because so far it's been only 2. I would appreciate if other people who are already in this part of the game gave me feedback. ^^

Thanks for your suggestion! It is highly appreciated and needed in order to make my beloved game better ^^

17. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    True, but the thing to remember...we never find our own game difficult. That's because we know it inside and out. Basically one thing I learned is whatever level of difficulty you found your own boss/game, an average player will find it harder than that. So things we find normal, an average player will probably find hard, things we find hard an average player will probably find impossible.

I speak this because of all of the your boss is impossible messages I got on my demo for the first one I found hard.

Still, 2 is a small sample size granted. Maybe it would be worth putting in a difficulty level at minimum if it is not in the game? I myself am not a fan of card games else I'd consider checking it and offering feedback, but since I'm not the intended audience my feedback would be a little off.

18. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I am aware of that. That's why I had some beta testers try the game before releasing it. The current version is not definitive, though, so I will change things that I judge necessary.

This also made me think of inserting a way for the player to pick the difficulty in the game, it would demand some work, but would be worth it.

About it being a Card Game, it really is not hahaha, it's not a trading card game like Yu-Gi-Oh or anything of the sort, it is a common RPG game where you equip cards to give you power, the equipments being cards is just part of the lore, it could be, I don't know, rings. So I hope this get you to play my game hahaha.

19. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @norman @granny steph
    I have recorded a video of the method I use to defeat the Mama Slug, basically you just make sure the enemies are always asleep by spamming Spore and you will be fine. Of course there are many other options.

PS: the game is really slow because of the recording app, my computer is not that great haha

@All
    I would like to know if anyone else is having trouble with the Mama Slug and any other kind of feedback would be very appreciated, so that I can decide whether I nerf it or not.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  20. granny steph

First Language:
    english
    Using your method I eventually slayed the slug however it was very hard. your suggestion of having 2 archers worked but I would never have thought of doing that and I doubt others would do the same either.
    The suggestion of having different abilities to choose from the outset would help I am sure as I would have chosen Easy option for sure.
    Going on from the slug, I am now on the second section but I still cant find a manageable team and am finding I am getting slayed left right and centre. This is quite off putting. I do like a challenge but I also like to enjoy a game and this game I am genuinely finding it hard to enjoy. The cost of the cards and weapons out way the amount of accumulated money you achieve and of course once you have spent the money it is gone!
    Its a good game but its difficulty is off putting.