RMMV Card Master

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Pako, Jun 24, 2019.

?

Who's your favorite main character?

1. Tez

2. Erika

3. Lucius

4. Dawn

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like I already said, there's not only one way of defeating it. I already beat the game 3 times, all of them using different compositions, just to make sure there was more than one way of defeating each boss and stage of the game. The suggestion of using 2 archers was just me trying to help you beat the slug, because of all the ways I tried, I found that to be the best one, but not the only way. In my first run, for example, I used a Pirate, a Thief, a Cleric and an Elementalist, totally different than my suggestion to you.

I'm very sorry to have caused you this kind of stress. My games are never easy, because I don't want to bore the players playing it. I figured that since the players would have almost infinite possibilities of combinations and that they would be able to exploit that during the game (for example, always choosing elements that gives you an advantage), the enemies would have to be strong in order to make the game feel challenging, even when the players can be so over-powered. This is also why I had 2 beta testers beat the game, because I wanted to make sure it was not impossible, and I spent a really big amount of time balancing everything.

Anyway, I am here to help, so my suggestion to you would be:
    TEZ - he is great for killing bosses and stronger enemies, so focus on 1x1 compositions for him (Warrior, Monk and Spellblader are great classes for him)
    ERIKA - being the fastest of the group, she is the best candidate to be a healer (Cleric, Priest and Bishop)
    LUCIUS - he is great at giving status ailments because of his luck, so I like to make him a Crowd Control (Sorcerer, Bard, Sage and any Element Card that has a status ailment giving skill)
    DAWN - I like to use her for killing the big groups of enemies, so I focus on multiple target spells (Druid, Wizard and any Element that gives multiple target spells, like Wood, Heat and Explosion)

Of course, this is only the roles I, Pako, like to give the characters, there are people who like to make Erika a second battler or Dawn a healer, it's all up to you, the important thing is to be consistent.

Okay that surprised me o.o
    I tried making the game in a way you would be able to buy most of the cards when you arrive a new town, so I'm guessing you spent a lot of money with healing items. However, money is not limited, as you can farm it in the Challenge House in Capitol City.

I am here to help and to hear your feedback, so your review is pretty important and I am thankful for that. I am considering making an Easy Mode, but that would take some time, I would have to beat the game all over again, for example.
    Any other suggestions?

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One quick way to add a difficulty option is to add a slider into an options menu where players can select how powerful they want the monsters to be. For instance, I did it in my game where you can set a slider from -3 to 3 and whatever number you set it to, you multiply by 5% and that is how much enemy stats are changed.

Was pretty quick to add, and it also allows for those who find the game too easy to increase it too. And 5% change in stats is usually very minor (depending on damage formula) but it can be the difference between a total party wipeout vs we barely survived that.

Incidentally you can do the same thing with money with a little scripting, have a slider that the player can set to decide how much money enemies drop. Or how little, if they want to struggle for money.

Just at thought that might help.

Starbird_Resources and Pako like this.
  3. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, that is actually a very good suggestion, thanks!

But do you know where I could get that plugin? I am terrible at scripting haha

4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That I don't know, sorry. Last time I tried anything like that for money was in 2014 and MV didn't exist then. Maybe you could post under plug-in requests and see if someone has one to recommend for that?

However, the difficulty one what I did was I added it as an option under Yanfly's system Options (that's what it is called in ACE, not sure of the MV name), then set the slider to be linked to a variable. Then I used a script (plug-in for MV) which runs a troop event every time a battle starts, and if the slider was set to a certain value, I had it add an invisible state to the enemy which never wears off and it lowers (or raises) all stats by the amount selected. Now I don't have it change HP or MP so I didn't have to worry about the HP bar being off, but if you do that you may need to have the engine heal all enemies to full health at start of battle so they don't show up as wounded at start of battle in some cases.

Starbird_Resources and Pako like this.
  5. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Done!

I found a difficulty setting plugin in this forum!

I already uploaded the game with the changes

@granny steph @norman

Please re-download the game and copy the save folder from the old game and paste in the new game's folder
    Then, when you open the game, just open the Menu and go to Options and choose the difficulty of your liking! That will probably solve this problem once and for all.

@bgillisp

Thanks a lot for your support! I think this improved the game's quality a bunch hahaha

6. norman

norman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    hello.
    anyone know how to kill.
    wendel and the magma golems.
    i can kill the magma golems.
    but no time to kill wendel.

7. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey!
    You are already pretty far in the game huh!? Congratz!
    Have you downloaded the most recent version? It has an Easy Mode in case you find the game to be too difficult

Wendel is a very unique kind of boss, he gives you 5 turns to do something about him, and then he will use a very powerful magic that will probably kill all your party haha.
    However, there are some ways to defeat him, I will give you some ideas:

1 - You can use the Bishop Card and use Shield when Wendel uses Wish of Fire. One interesting way of doing it is by having 2 bishops use twice on themselves, and then have them protect all your party on the next turn when Wendel uses Wish of Fire
    2 - You can decrease Wendel's Magic with a Sage Card, use Insane during all turns to make sure he will have only 50% of his Magic when he uses Wish of Fire
    3 - You can use the Mirror Element Card, since Wendel only uses Magical Skills, and after you defeat the golems you spam reflect until wendel kills himself
    4 - You can kill Wendel before he even attacks, I only managed to do that with the Berserk and the Marksman Cards, however you can have Tez and Erika attack him with these 2 cards and you will probably have time to kill Wendel

Also, using Water Property Element Cards and the Psychic Class Card also helps a lot, because they will deal half damage from their Fire Element Magic and Kinesis is really handy to dodge the lava golems' Physical Skills

8. norman

norman Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    hello.
    i at the end big boss fight.
    any tips.

9. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey!
    Congratz on making it this far!

For the last boss, you have to hit it with its filter element, that means you can only hit it with fire property attacks when it's in Fire Filter Mode.

This Boss is pretty difficult, but there are also many ways of dealing with it, here are some cards that might be useful:

SWORDMASTER - Can give massive damage with Demi Slash during Neutral Filter
    MARKSMAN - Has access to fire and wind property attacks, so it has great elemental coverage
    SNIPER - Gives great support with "Detect", "Target", and mainly because it can use Twilight Bow to double the damage given
    BISHOP - Has great offensive and defensive skills, being able to protect your "Light of Hope" user when things start looking bad and "Twice" is useful when you need a certain character to do a lot of things at once.
    SPELLBLADER - Gives great elemental coverage. One good idea is using Tez as a swordmaster with twin blades, and Lucius or Erika as a spellblader to change the element of Tez' attack before he attacks.
    PSYCHIC - "Kinesis" is great to reduce the damage received by the Ciphers
    ARCHMAGE - Great Elemental Coverage and capable of giving massive damage
    DEFENDER - "Cover" can decrease the damage received by the party by a lot
    RAINBOW - Greatly reduces the damage the party receives during Fire, Water, Earth and Wind Filter
    DRAGON - "Outburst" is great to maintain the SP of the "Light of Hope" user full and "Salamander" increases your physical and magical damage by a lot.
    OCEAN - Great to increase the party's defenses and also has access to "Cerulean" if you're not using a Snow Angel Monster Card
    LIFE - "Miracle" is very handy as your party members will probably die a lot during the battle. "Lifeline" is useful to use on your "Light of Hope" user on the turn you want to summon it.
    GHOST - Very handy when dealing with the Ciphers. One good idea is using it on a Defender with Sacrifice.
    SUN - "Solaris" is way more useful than it seems, it will make Tez have 5000 of maximum HP, for example, so it is great to enhance your defenses, just make sure to keep the 2 buffs stacked.
    SHARKGATOR - Great to charge SP and "Mist" is useful when you are using a Ghost Card on someone who's not a defender. You can use Mist on everyone except the Ghost Element Card User to make sure the Ciphers will attack the Ghost User.
    SENTINEL - You will only be giving damage every 2 turns, so "Energize" becomes very useful for enhancing your offensive power.
    SNOW ANGEL - It's a must-have if you are not using Ocean, because it can be a real pain when the boss hits you with "Electro" or "Bane"
    SAHAGIN - "Warcry" is very handy to deal more damage, but not that necessary.
    VIRUS - Great for your support characters to make sure they will move before everyone else (For example, if you want to use a Spellblader)
    MYSTIC FAIRY - In my opinion, it's one of the best cards of the game, continuously using "Floppy" decreases the Boss' offensive power by A LOT.
    LIGHT OF HOPE - A must-have in this battle, make sure to keep its user with full SP at all times so it can summon it when things get ugly.
    SPIRIT OF GREENERY - Useful, but not that necessary. It lets you not worry when you are hit by "Mana Zero" and is an alternative if you are not using a Dragon Element Card
    WAVE OF LEVIATHAN - VERY, VERY USEFUL during the Water Filter, as it causes a lot of damage.
    DIMENSION OF DOOM - The strongest summon. Dawn can give up to 5000 of damage with it if she's buffed enough during Dark Filter.

There are a lot of suggestions haha, as I said, there are many ways of dealing with this Boss.
    If you are still not able to beat it, I can give you some compositions.
    If you defeat it, make sure to tell me what did you think of the whole game and the credits scene! haha

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  10. FoxIt

FoxIt Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, I ignored this project because I thought by the title it was some kind of card game. Turns out this one of the better designed games on this board.
    I'm playing on Hard btw and have reached just after the first tournament fight on green Island (in the ninja village)
    This game is pretty good from what I can see. The characters are pretty unique and interesting for the most part with some depth. The story isn't anything too flashy but it works.
    But I think the best thing is the world. The cards are a dang good idea, getting element cards feels satisfying, it gives players quite a lot of options even early in the game, higher ranked cards don't necessarely outclass their lower ranked counterparts. This is a pretty good system and I'm highly enjoying it. Extra points for having a card manual for completionists.
    The visuals are vanilla RMMV (except for enemy sprites in battle), nothing wrong with that. It looks fine even if generic, I hate when guys use their own custom style and it ends up looking really bad.
    My only problems are the bosses really who have all been very miss (except the first tournament fight).
    The fight before entering the harbour is a complete joke, I think that's fine but is worthy of note.
    The fight in the eliminatory rounds is meh. It's so non-threatening it's hilarious. It kept rebuffing it's attack over and over when it was at two stages while Tez kept decreasing its attack. The only dangerous part was Roar's stun, I didn't have stun immunity and it was a joke. To remedy this, I'd use Yanfly's Battle A.I. Core and check for if the enemy has an attack buff.
    Link to plugin I'm talking about: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Battle_A.I._Core_(YEP)
    The boss at the end of the forest has a less obvious weakness but is just tedious. Now, to win, the Mama Slug must be killed. Now this thing has a ton of HP, heals for like 600 every few turns and can't even be damaged by physical attacks. This means Tez and Erika are stuck doing... sleep duty, lucius has healing and sleeping while Dawn used Tornado every turn. This lasted a good fifteen minutes until the boss finally fell and I mopped the enemies as they were asleep. On top of that, you give me the Ranger subclass right after that can negate defenses??!!!! The problem here is that the fight was just a massive slog. To fix it, I'd give the boss custom enemies identical to as they are now with an increased sleep res (they can barely harm you with regen on you while they're asleep) and reduce the HP of the boss from 5k to about 3k, now the boss is much more threatening while I deal with several mantises who deal ridiculous damage and poison or sleep status from the other enemies (depending on whichever immunity you choose to take on every character) and the boss doesn't take forever.
    Now, the gladiator fight was much better, the enemy party was threatening, they dealt significant damage, forced me to use my summon, and had buffs and heals that weren't too annoying as it only did half of their hp so it didn't erase my entire progress of damage if they healed from <50% HP and they died relatively quickly. They also didn't revive which was a plus.

Overall, this looks like a promising project, really enjoying the world building from the cards, hope to see even better things later.
    Edit: welp, now I feel dumb for not using charge for the mama slug (would've sped things up a bit)
    Oh, and for recording, if you're usi g OBS or maybe other recording programs, switch from display capture to game capture, game captures generally run much better than screen captures. A game capture only captures things only when in full-screen and for some reason that really optimizes things.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  11. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow!

Thanks a lot for such a positive comment hahaha

The game is already finished, so I won't be able to do big changes...
    As for the bosses, you will find they will become much more difficult as the game progresses :p, the first bosses are easy for difficulty progression purposes, by the way.
    My goal when creating the bosses was that each of them had an unique gimmick, such as the defensive behavior of the Mama Slug, and yeah, you could have used Charge and the wind bow to deal extra damage to it haha but your idea of how to make the boss less boring was interesting, I will keep it in my mind for future projects ^^

Please keep me updated as you progress in the game, I would love to hear about your strategies in the challenging battles ^^

Clockwarkgate likes this.
  12. valarmorghulis

valarmorghulis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hi,

First of all, lemme just say congrats on your game. It's challenging and the story is interesting and I like the your put the cards as the essence of the whole thing. I find it original and it's so interesing to combine and try to match which cards are the best to fight certain enemies. Strategy-wise is very cool and interesing to dig in. I love the graphics too, the enemies are just the cutest.

However, I find it the battle is abit too difficult and makes me want to give up the game couple of times. I mean, I get it, the game wants us to think which cards are the good to fight who but it just takes too long. I find it to fight one group of enemies, it takes me around 10-15 minutes and that makes me a bit bored with the game. The amount of enemies in one group can be up to 7 and it's exhausting to try to defeat them all. Maybe you could lower their difficulties or make the heroes strongers in which ever cards their using, so the fight can finish sooner and we can get on with next plot story or whatever. Also, the cost of the cards and the thing to revive are too expensive compared to the money that heroes gained as loot, even if we fight all the enemies in areas.

Hope you can accept this constructive critism and improve the game because it's actually very good game. Meanwhile, I will try to continue playing it when I have more time to spend.

13. Pako

Pako Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey! I'm so glad you liked my game ^^ could you tell me in which part you are right now?

Have you considered using more "All Targets" skills, such as Torrid or Sandstorm? Using this kind of magic is really effective against mobs of great numbers.

Actually, you yourself can lower the difficulty of the game in the Menu! I made this change because lots of people were complaing about the difficulty, while others thought the difficulty was okay. I think that, because there are so many cards, the difficulty of the game can change a lot depending on which cards you decided to use, that's why I added the "difficulty setting" plugin into the game

Have you visited the Challenge House, in Capitol City? It's the only way you can farm money (and sometimes you can win an extra prize), so, if you want more money, just go the Challenge House and farm it hahaha I meant for the cards to be expensive because that would be the challenge of completing the Card Album: finding all elements, defeating all mobs of monsters and collecting enough money to buy every class card.

Criticism is always welcome, specially if done in a polite way hahaha Most of the things you said were things that were already told to me and I did some changes to the game already considering these problems.
    Hope you continue enjoying my game!

o/

14. valarmorghulis

valarmorghulis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Last time I played, I was just finish defeating the three brothers and sister group (I forgot their names, sorry). I finally able to defeat them after being dead for the first try and then having to know which cards they used, able to combined the best mix to beat them. I gotta say, making your game abit difficult make the victory tastes sweeter.

I set my difficulty at 'normal' like I usually do whenever I play a game for the first time, but even at normal level, your game seems to be more challenging than others. Maybe next time I try, I'll change it into easy. Thanks for the tips.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that house. I went there only when I was on level 9 or something, but now I think I'm on level 17. I will go there as soon as I play again, probably on the weekend. And I just realize, does it mean I need to buy all the cards available from the merchants even if I'm not going to use them for the sake of collecting them? D'oh I just realize that hahaha

Thanks for replying and giving some suggestions. I'll give my overall review after completing game.

Pako likes this.