Daniel B

Hidden Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
"My name is Felix Omin.
Ever since I was born, I've been afraid.
Afraid of what?
What is there not to be afraid of..."

WARNING

The following game contains pixelated blood, violence,

harsh language, crude writing, loud noises, flashes etc

This game is most likely NOT suitable for everyone

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9z79yd9vdpm52m5/Cardiophobia+(v2.0).rar (v2.0, ~200mb non-rtp)

Story:

Spoiler

Cardiophobia follows Felix, a teenager with a unique heart condition.
Whenever his heartbeat raises, he cannot get it back to normal without taking medicin.
Living with such a condition makes it hard to have a normal life, but he manages at his new home.
One night, there is a blackout in the house and weird things start to happen.
Felix finds himself trying to survive the rest of the night, while saving his friends.

Premise:

Spoiler

In this game there are Scares and Spooks.
Scares are things that make Felix's Heartbeat rise. If it gets too high, he dies. The scares don't always happened either, most of them have conditions.
Spooks, on the other hand, are harmless. However, these things only appear depending on how scared Felix is, stuff like blood, messages, noises.

You will be faced with puzzles that range from very easy to thinking outside the box, and most of them are optional. However, puzzles isn't the only things you will have to face before you can escape...

The game is meant to be played multiple times, because I doubt it's possible to get the best ending on your first playthrough.

It's important to note, that even though it has horror elements, I would rather say this is a puzzle-survivor game. The scares are more for Felix the character, but if I manage to scare someone else, then I do see that as a plus. The scares also varies from small things to more elaborate.

This game contains:

Spoiler

Ending that recaps what you did or did not do in your playthrough, with 8 different endings.

Multiple puzzles that range in difficulty.

Multiple playthroughs.

With over 50 Scares.

New Game+ saving to keep track of your unlock progress.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Authors notes (Might be important to read through):

Spoiler

This project started years ago, and over those years, I've been working on this game from time to time. Some weeks more than others. Lately, I haven't felt like wanting to go back to this game. Don't get me wrong, the game is complete, but it has been complete for a long while, I've just been adding more to the game. I feel like if I don't release this game now, it will never be released.

With that being said, I just wanna say that I am not an artist or anything, this game has problems. Spelling error, dialogs being just plain bad etc. You kinda have to take this game with a grain of salt.

Just like any game, it is not 100% bug free, but I'm pretty sure all the game breaking bugs are gone (The ones that crash the game).

Credits:

Spoiler

-Art-
PandaMaru

-Script-
Acezon
Bravo2Kilo
Galv
Gambit
IceDragon
Jet
Khas
modern algebra
Napoleon
Nicke
Tsukihime
Yanfly
Zeus81

-Music-
AlxEllis
Basset-Hound
Crazy_Leen
Crazzydrummer
CzySzy
Faletti
F4LL0UT
Matt-Porter
MetroPiano
MusicGamer-11
RyanA
Semaphore
TheAmateurAnimator

Please do tell me if I've missed something, anything. Would hate to have missed credit on someone, bugs etc.

Update:

Spoiler

Seemed to be something wrong with Emelie's door not disappearing as it should after her timer is up. Should be fixed now.

Should be easier to get a better ending than the worst ending now.
Added so you can check yourself in the mirror to see how you are doing. (Only in Felix's room)
A lot of tweaking, too much to count. Mainly texts and puzzles, some bug fixes. Just trust me, it's a lot.

Did some tweaking and such.
Found a small bug with the stamina, fixed it by changing back to the old Effectus script.
Added/changed some texts to help clarify some things (for example, Felix now specifies which key he used).

Updated Effectus script and some tweaks, nothing major.

Just a lot of hotfixes such as the Infinite Rope Closet, spelling errors, text going out of window,
items not disappearing after use, etc.

1.5:

Had to go back to NewGame+ and try to fix it some more.
Fixed some spelling errors and more. (Nothing game breaking)

1.4:

Fixed so an item is Pick-upable.

Fixed saving at end of game.

1.3:

Changed Anti-Lag script. This game now uses Effectus instead of Moghunters scripts. (v1.2 still credits Moghunter, so I won't remove him from main page as long as I keep having v1.2 alive as download.)
Changed the text on a hint. The hint was wrong and confusing before, should be better now.
Changed so you can always play the piano after placing the music sheet.

I also tweaked some of the sounds, like the whispers in the beginning. (When I played the intro over and over again, I felt they were too loud, whether you had volume up or not.)

1.2:

Fixed a bug so you couldn't save your NewGame+.

I've updated to 1.1, adding anti lag script.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A horror game!

My favorite genre.

Sent you a PM. I will surely play this one! :)

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I executed the game on a system with a Dual Core AMD CPU at 2GHZ.

After you sleep, the main halls, having Khas script activated, combining the stamina system all the possible rest stuff going on, make it unplayable.

It starts REALLY great! I am excited I hope I will find a stronger PC to maybe try it, or you should consider making things more lightweight.

Try antilag scripts maybe. I mean... I want to play this now! You got me! 

Daniel B

Hidden Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I executed the game on a system with a Dual Core AMD CPU at 2GHZ.

After you sleep, the main halls, having Khas script activated, combining the stamina system all the possible rest stuff going on, make it unplayable.

It starts REALLY great! I am excited I hope I will find a stronger PC to maybe try it, or you should consider making things more lightweight.

Try antilag scripts maybe. I mean... I want to play this now! You got me! 
Too bad to hear that. My computer isn't really good either, but the game works for me.

I've added anti lag script as requested, hopefully this will make the game playable.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, after the lights are back on the game lags like hell. But as I told you  I have a very old PC so I will also chekc it out on a modern one.

Will tell you soon.

Scott_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's like Silent Hill but with a sanity system. Cool. I'm a few hours in and can't wait to find out what's really going on.

For anyone having trouble with lag: The lag freezes/slows the screen but not the game itself. You can still move your character even if the screen makes it look like he's stuck. So if the game "freezes" just move to a different part of the screen. Ex: Game freezes behind a pillar on the second floor landing. Move around the pillar by pressing up once and right twice and now you're in the middle of the room and everything is running great again.

There are only a few areas where the lag is a big issue. Sadly one of them is right outside the first save point of the game which makes it seem like it's going to be a constant problem instead of an occasional issue.

I'm also using a new-ish but cheap laptop. Maybe the problem goes away entirely for people with more powerful machines.

Daniel B

Hidden Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
It's like Silent Hill but with a sanity system. Cool. I'm a few hours in and can't wait to find out what's really going on.

For anyone having trouble with lag: The lag freezes/slows the screen but not the game itself. You can still move your character even if the screen makes it look like he's stuck. So if the game "freezes" just move to a different part of the screen. Ex: Game freezes behind a pillar on the second floor landing. Move around the pillar by pressing up once and right twice and now you're in the middle of the room and everything is running great again.

There are only a few areas where the lag is a big issue. Sadly one of them is right outside the first save point of the game which makes it seem like it's going to be a constant problem instead of an occasional issue.

I'm also using a new-ish but cheap laptop. Maybe the problem goes away entirely for people with more powerful machines.
Thanks, looking forward to hearing some feedback.

I know the lag is a problem, it's the light effect script that is taking a lot of ram. Are you using the old or new version? Personally, I only have slight lags, never freezes for me and I do not have a new or really all that good computer. Even so, I noticed a change in fps from the anti lag scripts in 1.1.

It's funny you would mention SIlent Hill, cuz just like it, there are parts with the story that you kinda have to fill in yourself. If you want, that is, this game is no way near as deep as silent hill games usually are.

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Downloading now. :D

Scott_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've played through the game a few times now and managed to get a couple different bad endings along with a few ideas on how to get to a good ending.

I think what I like best about the game is the way that the sanity system leaves you wondering how much of the weird stuff you're seeing is a hallucination and how much is actually happening.

There were several times where something I thought was important turned out to be a hallucination that disappeared as soon as Felix found more medication. And there were other things that I thought were hallucinations that turned out to be very real and dangerous threats. That kind of uncertainty is exactly what I want in a psychological horror game.

The fact that a lot of the scary events are random also helped keep the game scary and unpredictable during repeat playthroughs, something that is rare in most horror adventure games.

So while it has a few rough edges and I'll probably need a walkthrough to get a happy ending I overall really enjoyed the experience.

Daniel B

Hidden Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I've played through the game a few times now and managed to get a couple different bad endings along with a few ideas on how to get to a good ending.

I think what I like best about the game is the way that the sanity system leaves you wondering how much of the weird stuff you're seeing is a hallucination and how much is actually happening.

There were several times where something I thought was important turned out to be a hallucination that disappeared as soon as Felix found more medication. And there were other things that I thought were hallucinations that turned out to be very real and dangerous threats. That kind of uncertainty is exactly what I want in a psychological horror game.

The fact that a lot of the scary events are random also helped keep the game scary and unpredictable during repeat playthroughs, something that is rare in most horror adventure games.

So while it has a few rough edges and I'll probably need a walkthrough to get a happy ending I overall really enjoyed the experience.
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

It's great seeing someone actually playing the game as intended. I've been afraid of making an walkthrough, cause it feels like I'm ruining the game somehow, but I don't mind helping if you PM me.

Is a walkthrough something people really want? I could make one I guess, but making a complete walkthrough for the whole game would take a lot of time. I could compromise and make a walkthrough for the basic things, the mandatory things and not the optional things.

On a side note, I don't think I ever clarified that basically all the endings are "bad" endings. It depends on how you look at it, I think most people would say there are only 2-3 "good" endings, then 3 bad endings and 2 secret endings.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 I've been afraid of making an walkthrough, cause it feels like I'm ruining the game somehow, but I don't mind helping if you PM me.
Yes! Absolutely right!

Let it without a walkthrough.

These games lose their value using a guide.

Kudos!  :thumbsup-right:

Daniel B

Hidden Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I wouldn't mind hearing more feedback from people. Even if you don't like the game, it's good to hear what you think, what I should think about and maybe what I should've done different.

HansKelsen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I loved all the mystery and "silenthillish" atmosphere, but the game lags so much that I could not help but give up on playing.... So I ask you if you could fix this issue....Can't wait to unravel the full story!^^

TengHu

Abscond Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Pretty cool game, I have to say. Very fun and the atmosphere is great.

The lag though... >.< At least it's not game breaking.

Daniel B

Hidden Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
I loved all the mystery and "silenthillish" atmosphere, but the game lags so much that I could not help but give up on playing.... So I ask you if you could fix this issue....Can't wait to unravel the full story!^^
Alright, I'll make a new thread on forum to see if I can find a solution. I really did not expect this to be such a big problem, considering my computer is literally made of stones, and I can play it just fine.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The game now works really sweet for me.

It is 100% playable, so... I will have to play it now.

I admit that you had me on a few places, and I am hard to get scared!

Kudos.

Will come back with a review!!!

Mind sharing with us your anti-lag cocktail of scripts? 

Edit: Just saw your changelog.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel B

Hidden Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Like the main page says, version 1.3 is out. I wouldn't make a big deal out of this if it wasn't for the fact that it fixes the lag. If it doesn't fix the lag for you, then I don't know what else I could do.

Thanks for reading.

HansKelsen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Like the main page says, version 1.3 is out. I wouldn't make a big deal out of this if it wasn't for the fact that it fixes the lag. If it doesn't fix the lag for you, then I don't know what else I could do.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks a lot! Runs perfectly now!! ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
I made a battle results screen for my minigame.. any feedback? :)
Things I thought would never happen but just did: I needed to use my snow shovel. In August. In the Northern Hemisphere.
So I finished Cupcake, now I need to figure out my next project!
Do I pick up one of my incomplete games?
Do I start something entirely new???
The possibilities are endless!
Am I the only one who keeps thinking TPBS means "Turn Press Battle System" and not "Time Progress Battle System?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rumplestiller