RMMZ Carrying variable and switch values across multiple games

Ender570

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm working on a project now that i plan on releasing in monthly installments (chapters) and I just realized that I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to carry the information from each installment into the next.

I figured I would have the player just answer questions at the beginning of each chapter to set the variables and switches, but there are 2 problems with this approach

1. The sheer amount of information I already need transferred after only (almost) one chapter would feel incredibly annoying to have to sort through and answer for... I can only imagine how it would feel at the end of, say, chapter 4 or 5

2. There are a few actions that I want to remain secret and seem inconsequential ... having it pop up as a question in the next chapter would pull the curtain back a bit

I'm a mediocre programmer on my best days, so I was really hoping someone could point me in the right direction... maybe someone has attempted something like this in the past and can offer some insight?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Visustella's Save Core has global variables that should do the trick for this.

Edit: I misunderstood the problem--if you continue from the same project without recreating the game from scratch, telling players to copy over their save file should work fine? I've had to do this with manual updates before.

Last edited:

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
write everything down into a file.
it's the only option.

Ender570

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm seeing a few plugins that deal with persistent data .. but nothing for MZ, sadly.

I will peek at some of these codes to get an idea of how they pulled it off .. that should at least offer some insight. Like I said, I'm really not a great coder though :aswt:

Zero_G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah as gstv87 said, you could use the global.save to set the variables needed and ask the player to move that file to the new game.

I don't know if this plugin works in MZ. And if not, it's not that difficult to write/read data to a file with node's fs module. Use this guide

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I managed to review my previous lessons on Learn MV and fixed a lot of things. Yay! :kaopride:
I've decided "Attack on Equestria" should be released first... hence this new ARG channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKiUI8xOVx9dsF4kRXUmxw
Check it out, and subscribe! The ARG will lead up to the video game. It's not a creepy game, but I just thought it should follow ARG standards.
For anyone interested in my project M - i finally made a gamethread about it :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arsyloth