cartographic conundrums

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I've run into a bit of a puzzle with my game and was wondering anyone else has had the same problem or had some advice.

When working on your world map, what sort of scale should you use? Do you make one large map in with transfers to the individual villages and dungeons? This seems like it would give you that wide-open, epic feel, and would make ship/airship travel more realistic. On foot, however, it seems like a lot of wandering, and would be tricky to manage when making the map.

Or do you have a map, say, for each kingdom with transfers linking the kingdoms in addition to the villages and dungeons? This would break things up into easy-to-digest chunks, but it seems like you would loose that sense of scale. Plus, how would one utilize airships, etc in this sort of setup?

And while we're on it, how many villages and things should one populate their world with? I've played games where the sparsity of towns seemed unrealistic and made the world seem small and ill-planned. On the other hand, towns and things need to have a reason beyond verisimilitude, don't they? Some feature which makes you want to go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
Norway
Primarily Uses
A game called Casia had a map where you had to walk everywhere, but if you took a ship, you got the worldmap view.

Does your game need airships?

I personally prefer the worldmap view when walking around.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Well, I'm not sure about the airship. I think something like that can open up opportunities for exploring secret areas you can't get to by foot. I thought about creating a separate world map for vehicle travel, with individual "region" maps for foot travel. (Eg: map1: kingdom of terra; map2: ignis island, etc.)

but there's still the issue of how many villages and towns should populate your world and how near they should be to each other.

Reaction score
First Language
Norway
Primarily Uses
Hmm, what if instead of the world it is just one country? That way you don't have to worry about the amount of villages seeming spare.

captainproton

Dangerously Nifty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Hmm, what if instead of the world it is just one country? That way you don't have to worry about the amount of villages seeming spare.
Well, that would make a difference. A game taking place within a single kingdom or region (as in the pokemon games) definitely simplifies the scale issue. But what about those cases which dictate the use of multiple nations?

Is there some rule of thumb regarding the frequency of towns when the story requires you to cross the border?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Chaos17 wrote on Poryg's profile.
Hi, I am following your videos tutorials serie about coding on MV and I am at the third video. Thank you for making it but's a bit hard to follow since you don't show the whole plugin at the end. I had to screenshot the lines between 110-159 because you scrolled so fast on them.
:rtear:
I'm not sure if I should be happy for MZ, or sad for MV.
Not going to lie.... The update's cool and all, but I immediately ran to Mog's site and was like, "Update! Update! Update!" while breathing on the page of his Star Ocean Battle System plugin. :kaoswt:
Ho boi. I can already see the storm of ugly actor faces RTP customizable facesets from MZ are gonna flood. XD
<-- Meet Seith. He begins the story as an apprentice druid, learning to survive in the wilderness by communing with nature and honing his herbalism. Seith has a deep desire to understand the world around him. When wells of chaotic energy begin erupting from the land,corrupting plant, animal and man alike, Seith finds himself on a journey to discover just what this means for the fate of his home, the land of Myarr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James1998