ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I don't know tbh.

A huge milestone for me has been building the menu system / battle system without using scripts. And now that's complete for the most part. Now I can focus on content, building the actual game, the bosses, the activities etc. But it's going to be a lot of content to make since I have to draw every animation, every map, every event, every cutscene, every battle background etc. So it's hard to say when the full game will be done.

I'm a workaholic though so that helps.

Just looking back... This is what my project looked like half a year ago (and this is basically all I had done, the video is just me testing to see if my Meters were working). So hopefully another half year later, I'll have something substantial. And in a year's time hopefully I'll have something approaching a full game.

Spoiler

Last edited by a moderator:

taistelusopuli

Your Friendly Neighborhood Composer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
Don't burn yourself man :D You have a great vision here and there is surely people willing to help out ;)

RainbowGrenade

Paint Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am in love.  This feels very fresh and original.  The graphics are so clean and well designed, also. Great job!  I look forward to the finished product!

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey guys. I mentioned Arcade mini-games in my post but didn't show anything more. Here's a little preview of one I made in a couple hours: 

Obviously it's unfinished since the victory/defeat message is just a line of text rather than a suitable screen... but this should give an idea of the kind of stuff I want to add, mini-game-wise. This is really just an RNG / gambling game (made into an adversarial type game to make it interesting as well as playing with the player's anticipation etc), but I also want more skill based stuff too like racing. I do have a Donkey Kong rip-off already made where you can pick up bags of gold, in-game and hand the points in for rewards. And I hope to have slot machines, blackjack etc. too. This is kind of my mini equivalent of the golden saucer.

Last edited by a moderator:

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I haven't updated this thread in a while so I thought I'd do that now. I'm currently working on fleshing out the city. Adding new maps, new features etc.

- I've created new maps for new sections of the city (to the east and below in an underground tunnel)
- A new mini-game based on classic card game 21 has been added. It's mostly random but at any time you can fold your hand if you feel you may lose, or you can decide to take a risk.
- I added a new type of vendor, he will have a new droid for you to buy each day. New droids have obviously been added too, including an epic-rarity droid with some decently complex actions in battle.
- I added a bar/pub, which is still in progress, but I've done some small things like added a jukebox so you can change the BGM. I think a gambler who likes 21 will be added soon, as well as a pub quiz game perhaps?
- I created a "beacon system" so you can save your location and return to it from your hub/ship each morning.
- Speaking of which I also have the day/night cycle working (at the end of each day you will return to your ship), and every morning it will display the date and generate what weather will await you (depending on time of year).
- I've also tried to keep the art style consistent by cleaning up earlier maps. I don't have shots of them, but the tutorial maps have changed a little.

Here are some screenshots, but if you find this at all interesting, I have a video showing all the new features and areas.

New stuff:
Droid Vendor: 40s in.
New minigame: 2m - 05s in.
New map (bar): 6m - 00s in.

Previous stuff:
Vending Machine: 3m - 07s in.
Shopping at the Store: 3m - 47s in.

NEW SCREENSHOTS

Screen 18 - Your personal star ship (crew missing at the moment).
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/80dMLcp.jpg[/IMG]
Screen 19 - Every city needs a seedy underbelly.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fmMoKpD.jpg[/IMG]
Screen 20 - Minigames vs NPCs. Oops... went over 21. Bust.
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BOUk3KH.jpg[/IMG]
Screen 21 - More interior areas (bar). 
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MAXKmCB.jpg[/IMG]
Screen 22 - Various vendors have goods to sell to you. 
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RQIS5g2.jpg[/IMG]

Boxycloud

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hah, you got me, i thought this was made in RPG Maker. heh you jokester...

Wait it IS made in RPG Maker?

*mind blow*

Heroic

Tinkermeister
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Been keeping an eye on this for a while - and, I gotta say, I love everything you've done with the art and graphics. It's all very polished and distinct. The various mechanical tidbits (menus, vendors, minigames, etc.) also look really nice, and make for a unique break from what you usually seem to find in an RPG Maker game.

It's been a while since the last update - but as others have said, this absolutely has the makings of a commercial project. Hope to see more from you!

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey, sorry I haven't posted here in a while. I've been sort of addicted to Overwatch and a bit stuck on what to progress on next for a month or two. Thanks for the recent comments, some of the community feedback is part of what pushes me to keep on developing, and I hope some of my feedback on others projects also helps feed their creativity too.

The project was shaping up quite a bit before my break, but I felt a bit of a designers block on what features to go to next. Anyhow, I've tried to get back in the swing of things recently, and I have some new stuff to show. Here for example is a boss battle within a dungeon, (with a dungeon puzzle). Some of the stuff in the video is placeholder of course.

Here's a vid of a robot boss that shoots guns at you and will punish you if your Health or Super gets too high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u2EHpMhN9s

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi, any progress?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A woman gave me her number without me even asking for it. Then she left because she had other patients to see.
oh, hey, I forgot about all this!

my old project got abandoned after I started working too much on stuff I'd already worked on - plus, starting to hate the story I wrote for it. Then, well, a lot of serious life **** went down. I ended up moving across the country, cutting off some people, etc. - **** was rough.

So, uh, I guess I'm back for now? Funny how things work.
I'm glad I'm sticking to my guns on having fighting game mechanics in my game, from what I've read, it's not for everyone. but for the most part, I've made it so you don't have to use them motion inputs for attacks if you don't want to.
And my project's just entered the Lunar New Year Sale 2022... Let's see if it reaches it's goal of $ 7,77.
Ohmygoodness I played Dicey Dungeons for the first time last night. Gave me SO MANY IDEAS for how to fix Heidi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nagomuyutori