Casia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Casia presents...

Casia is an open-world game project that I have been developing for years. It is a game with preset settings and characters, but you decide how you progress in the game, what decisions you make and so on. This game is all about exploration and freedom of choice while pursuing your destiny.

No RTP required

Download link updated: 19.1.2016

Changes to previous version:

- Hunger/thirst HUD finally operational!

- Some graphical fixes

- Replaced some remaining random encounters with on-map enemies

- Murre Fortress area made optional with regards to the endgame

- Slightly reduced file size

Features:

- Over 30 hours of gameplay, depending on your decisions in game
 - An enormous world to explore freely
 - Loads of secrets and powerful items
 - Great control over the events in game
 - 19 playable characters you can uncover - most of them are well-hidden
 - Challenging battles
 - Lots of varying mini-games and puzzles to give some mental simulation
 - A dynamic day and weather system that imitates real world conditions
 - Maximum six party members at once, easily changed through a well-known party switcher

World Setting

The world of this game is set in 2880, the future. The level of innovations and the environment is very medieval though, and technology is in an undeveloped stage. The reason for this can be uncovered in the game. Alongside two large continents, called Hareka and Kele, there are numerous islands like Vahiti, the Goblin Isle and Pirate Island. Each location is filled with adventures and secrets to solve, as well as treasure and peril. Discovering the mysteries of this world is up to you, and you are free to chase your dreams in the way you prefer.

Story Synopsis

A girl named Casia, victim of a great childhood trauma, awakes on her 16th birthday. Being 16 means that she is considered an adult everywhere she goes. She finally has the independent life she has been dreaming of, and you will decide what she does with that.

Dark beings are stirring in the shadows, however. A group called the Quros' Devoted are taking action all over the world in order to reach some mysterious goal of their leader, Quros. But what are these people actually up to? And what does running into them mean? Be prepared to find out...

Screenshots

Spoiler

Title screen

Casia's home village, Delta Town

West Aldi

A dark forest

This can't be good...

Evil plans

Characters

There is no set group of characters you will be using. Instead, by travelling and meeting people, you can unlock up to 19 characters, most of them well-hidden and requiring a side quest first. You can thus freely assemble your group once you find more unlockable characters. The only character you will always have along is Casia, the main protagonist whose life you are controlling.

All comments and feedback are greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hiromu656

Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'll be sure to try this out once my PC parts ship in >_>

Also, CONGRATULATIONS! :D

amicable

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
says demo in the download link, is it an accidental link to an older demo or just a mistake in naming?

Casia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, it is ready! At least close to something I would call ready. Feedback and suggestions for improvements are always welcome, though. :)

The download file says demo, but it's actually the last demo, meaning final version lol. :p It's the correct game nevertheless.

Reaction score
First Language
Norway
Primarily Uses
Maybe I`ll give it a try again now that it is finished.

amicable

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
installing is a little weird since by default it refers to your game and puts it in a folder called 'myproduct' rather than casia :S

then the game gave me a dll error and crashed right at the start. it doesn't seem to be packaged as standalone. also seems to have old save data with it....?

Casia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm using a custom installer because, for some reason, my RPG Maker XP can't correctly compress anything anymore. :/ It seems I have missed something in the settings of the intallation and therefore it calls the folder My Product. This isn't a big problem, but I will release a new version sometime with this changed, hopefully.

The second problem doesn't occur when I open the game. It is standalone because it was created without RPG Maker. All the files are there and for me, at least, it works. Those save files will be deleted in the next release. I didn't realize they were there... :p

What kind of an error message do you get? What does it say exactly?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll try the game now that it's finished. I'll write some comments as I play... not sure how much I'll do, but obviously it will be split up in many parts (unless I don't like the game enough to continue).

-The title screen music is nice.

-Why did 4 save files come with the download?

-Hm, what was the point of that slideshow in the intro cutscene? Also, I think drawings/paintings would've fit better here to go with the rest of the game's style.

-Bad guys having a typical tea party.

-Yay, examinable objects.

-Not being able to walk closer to those planters outside the house bothers me greatly. Is this intended? If so, why?

-The animals flying/walking around in the town map are a bit distracting.

-This NPC (info lady) has a pink skinned sprite?

-I noticed the passability to be quite limited on other objects as well. Having to walk around them for no reason. It just looks a bit weird having to keep so much distance between my sprite and an object. (added an attachment to show what I'd like to see)

edit: Back to play some more...

-Passability is good on some other objects in the municipality building.

-This kid right outside the town screams like a demon!=O

-There's also a cat sprite running around like crazy.o_o

-wut. Died on the first battle. Have no skills to use. Attack did 0 damage. And couldn't escape. Balance LOL.

-I went to the church seeing how much I could donate. When I pressed ESC to cancel it still took money from me.

-I can walk through teddy bear sprite in a house.

-OK, a bit too much passability on the fountain. I can walk kinda underneath it.

-Why is there an Angel in a pub?

-Some strange passability with chairs in the pub.

-I can walk over the chairs, but not over the stools?

-Veggies in the farm building appear over the hero sprite.

-Why can I not walk over small bushes or flower tiles?

-Another battle, this time in some cave, got killed in 2 hits or something.

Well, 30+ minutes into the game I still have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I explored pretty much the whole starter town. Going in the field to battle is 100% suicide. I'm probably missing something super obvious, but I'm not seeing it. But at this point I don't think I care enough to keep going.

Overall impression of the game: I've never been a fan of the XP RTP. Yet, the game still looks pretty well in some places. The mapping is kinda all over the place, though... some of the maps are fairly well done (I liked Casia's home interior), while other maps are just bad/boring/oversized.

The soundtrack is nice. At least from the little that I've heard of it. It's probably the strongest point of the game. No idea if it's RTP (not very familiar with XP), but I liked it, and it seemed to fit the game well.

I can't talk much about the various game features, because I haven't had much chance to test them out really. I think it's cool how the weather can change at random, and have different things happen depending on what day it is etc. There also seemed to be a farming system that could potentially be interesting.

Main criticisms: The dialogue seemed overly simplistic in most places... keeping dialogue short is good, but I guess it was just shortened a bit too much in some cases. There weren't any examinable objects outside Casia's home instance (you either make items examinable in all of the world, or nowhere). A fair amount of passability glitches/issues. Some very strange sprites that looked completely out of place (Angel in the pub, pig-man in the smithery building, pink skinned lady in the municipality).

The main issue would go towards combat. Why does my character not start out with any skill? Why does my character gets slaughtered by enemies right outside the town? I know it says "challenging combat" in the features list, but when my character does 0 damage, can't escape, and has not a single skill to use, there's not much challenge to be found...

Yes go.png

Casia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I updated the download. Hopefully this one works for you too, amicable.

To battle you need a weapon, which you can get by talking to Tyne, a young green-haired boy near the exit of the town. He will ask you to do a little task for you and as a reward you get a weapon. After that the game will become clearer as you can go to places. There are countless ways to reach the goal of the game, because there is no madnatory order in which to travel and explore.

I'll have to check on those passability issues, though. I have never fully understood how those codes work... I'll update the download link when I have gone through the custom tilesets.

Oh, and most of the music is non-RTP. :)

Daughter of Evil

Nightmare Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This looks really cool. I cant wait to try it out :D  By the way, congrats on finishing the game.

GhostDev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RGSS102E.dll could not be found? And I am using the latest download.

Casia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RGSS102E.dll could not be found? And I am using the latest download.
This is very strange. It seems some can make the game work, others get this error message... what type of a computer do you use?

GhostDev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is very strange. It seems some can make the game work, others get this error message... what type of a computer do you use?
I am using a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is running Windows 7 and I have RPG Maker VX Ace installed.

Aeri_Sicher

Rookie Programmer! >.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Same problem here, Ghost.

I guess it could be because you and I both use RPG Maker VX Ace instead of the program Casia has (RPG Maker XP). I'm really not sure but what else can it be..? (Doesn't look like the RPG Maker XP owners have any troubles here).

Casia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yet the game is supposed to run without XP. I will try the game without XP and see what happens...

EDIT: How strange, I got an error message too, but a different one. The game couldn't find a sound effect. Obviously the problem lies with the XP RTP somehow, so now I know where to concentrate and look for the problem.

EDIT 2: I uploaded yet a new version. It works for me and hopefully to others. See if you can make it work and if not, I'll get back to it.

GhostDev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yet the game is supposed to run without XP. I will try the game without XP and see what happens...

EDIT: How strange, I got an error message too, but a different one. The game couldn't find a sound effect. Obviously the problem lies with the XP RTP somehow, so now I know where to concentrate and look for the problem.

EDIT 2: I uploaded yet a new version. It works for me and hopefully to others. See if you can make it work and if not, I'll get back to it.
So, I have re-download both RPG Maker VX Ace and your game, but it still appears with the same error. I then checked and I don't even have the .dll. So, I changed it to the .dll I have, and that still doesn't work. I don't know if it would work, but if you have the .dll it asks for. Why don't you include that in the installer and then those who don't have it can move the .dll into the relevant folder and hopefully it will work.

Casia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This was made with RPG Maker XP, not VX Ace.

Hmm, I will look for that dll it asks for.

EDIT: Got it! I found the correct file and added it to the download. Now I have updated the link with a (hopefully) working version. :)

GhostDev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks! It works now. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How many parameters is 'too many'??
Yay, now back in action Happy Christmas time, coming back!

Back in action to develop the indie game that has been long overdue... Final Fallacy. A game that keeps on giving! The development never ends as the developer thinks to be the smart cookie by coming back and beginning by saying... "Oh bother, this indie game has been long overdue..." How could one resist such? No-one c
So I was playing with filters and this looked interesting...

Versus the normal look...

Kind of gives a very different feel. :LZSexcite:
To whom ever person or persons who re-did the DS/DS+ asset packs for MV (as in, they are all 48x48, and not just x2 the pixel scale) .... THANK-YOU!!!!!!!!! XwwwwX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visploo100