RMMV Castaway Survival Sim Game

Would you be interested in playing this type of game?

• Definitely yes

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Probably yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Probably not

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Definitely not

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gvduck10

Quacker Jack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The last week I have been mentally mapping this idea. If anyone remembers Sims Castaway (I LOVED that game), it is largely based on that. Yanfly's item synthesis system would be crucial, as I have created item creation gimmicks without the mod, but they wouldn't work here.

PLOT

The main hero washes up ashore a deserted island. He must locate any other survivors of the shipwreck and try to create a new life for them on this abandoned paradise. The characters advance through the game by improving their shelter, collecting resources, gaining new skills, and exploring more of the island - which includes some mysterious old ruins, suggesting that perhaps other people had lived here at one time. Possible end-points could be:
-Getting off the island
-Solving the mystery of the ancient inhabitants and breaking the curse they left behind

ITEM CREATION

The main idea is that the characters are marooned on an island and have to collect items in order to build shelter, weapons, tools, and clothing. At early stages, you would collect simple things like vines and driftwood (to make a grass skirt and a tent), but later it would get more advanced, like leather and sea shells (to make better clothing and a necklace). Flowers, fruits, other plants, fish (and maybe bugs), could be collected to make herbal recipes and food items.

SKILLS
There would be wild animals for hunting (battle), but to learn new skills you have to actually do quests in the game. For instance, chopping a bunch of wood would teach you the Chop skill, or playing a game of Hide-and-Seek teaches you Concealment.

DEVELOPMENT
I was going to create this with RMVXA. the latest version of the software I purchased, but I cannot find my product key anywhere and am getting no where with tech support. If I eventually purchase RMMV, I will create this then. In the meantime, if anyone would like to "borrow" my idea, I am interested to see your work and can provide help/direction along the way.

Ideas for...
...TOOLS

(from Sims 2 Castaway)

...COLLECTING MATERIALS

(from Sims 2 Castaway Stories)

...CLOTHING

(from Sims 2 Castaway)

Last edited:

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also loved The Sims Castaway, but PS2 version, not the PC "Stories" that was like The Sims 2 EP. Looking for some of your screens, not the one from The Sims Castaway! :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Disclaimer - I have never played survival games and it is highly unlikely that I ever will, so my comment here might be completely off the wall.

What struck me was this.
He must locate any other survivors of the shipwreck and try to create a new life for them on this abandoned paradise
This, from what I've seen in other game descriptions, is a fairly standard approach. But does it have to be followed? When I saw that sentence I found myself asking some questions.

Why is it down to him to create a new life for the others? Why are they so incompetent/passive/ignorant that without him presumably they'll all be dead in a month? Would the game feel fresher if things were turned around a bit? Using a multiparty script (available for Ace, and I assume also for MV, but I don't actually know that) you could have other survivors making a much stronger contribution to the survival of the whole group. So instead of the player just controlling one PC, they end up controlling several. Or maybe he's the one who's originally a bit helpless, and the group has to train him up in a particular aspect - perhaps one which hasn't been seen as that vital before, but with some cunning plot twist that you introduce, after he's been trained up in it, that skill becomes much more necessary. Other members of the group still have to do the ongoing survival tasks, so the activity is still spread around a bit. But because that skill wasn't particularly well developed in the group originally, more advanced techniques/whatever can't be learnt in the group and the PC has to venture around to gain training possibilities.

What this boils down to, I suppose, is a suggestion that the story hook of the game need not follow the standard path and might help your game stand out a bit.

Of course, not being a survival game player, it might be that there are hundreds of games I don't know about which do as I've suggested, so it's not that different at all. In which case, apologies for that.

gvduck10

Quacker Jack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Disclaimer - I have never played survival games and it is highly unlikely that I ever will, so my comment here might be completely off the wall.

What this boils down to, I suppose, is a suggestion that the story hook of the game need not follow the standard path and might help your game stand out a bit.

Of course, not being a survival game player, it might be that there are hundreds of games I don't know about which do as I've suggested, so it's not that different at all. In which case, apologies for that.
Actually, I think this could be a stellar idea. My original idea was that you would need to do little sub quests or even puzzles, games to unlock useful skills. The story could have you switch control to different characters in order to do that.

As far as "helpless" goes, I had thought one of the characters would be a small child, so that explains that a little better. They would learn things like hiding (from enemies) and collecting resources though, so not "useless" at all! The last Star Ocean game had a character like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just saw in a manga an interesting mechanic - setting up a stationary teleport beacon that one can go to no matter where one is in a dungeon. I think it'll work with a similar setup to how I did my airship transition.

Ooh what if you could set up multiple beacons and choose from a list of the beacons you set up?

Hmm...
Actor2_1 added!

Is the running performance of MZ output to Android platform smoother than MV output?
FINALLY GOT ALL 120 STARS IN SUPER MARIO 64!!!

Ok i got the model New and I will develop a little more, I think my SV is not beautiful yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boris-ko