RMMV Castle Greyrot (Rogue-lite RPG) (Demo Version Now Available!)

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Summary.png

Castle Greyrot is a party-based rogue-lite RPG with adventure and boss rush elements combined together. That means you'll get your typical rogue-like experience (Randomized stages, equipment, battle bending curses, brutal bosses), but you'll keep your loot, unique heroes and upgrades forever.

The Castle itself is full of mysteries, deadly traps, treasures and enemies. It is rumored that Castle Greyrot is a living being that changes its location every 10 years and corrupts its surroundings wherever it goes. It welcomes every guest adventurer and feeds on their souls.

As an experienced Commander, you are summoned to engage in a raid on Castle Greyrot.
With mercenaries on your side, you're about to venture to the Castle and destroy the unknown evil force within.

FEATURES.png

• Original Graphics and Music:
Character art to music, everything in the game is custom made.
• Class-based 3 Man Party:
16 Classes to pick. Starting with Cleric, Thief, Warrior and Wizard.
• Unlockable Classes:
With leveling your previous classes you'll unlock new ones that have a huge variety.
• Secrets:
Each class comes with their unique skill sets and can help you with perks that uncover the secret of Castle Greyrot.
• Random Encounters:
Alternative paths, events and bosses are part of Castle. Let's pray that we are safe from traps!
• Progression:
Each time your party successfully returns from their boss-killing quests, you'll have a chance to boost your party's stats.
• Non-linear Levelling:
Grinding for experience? That's too old-school. Class goals are the new leveling system.
• Bosses:
Castle Greyrot is all about boss battles, each stage has 2 to 3 boss battles. Can you overcome the challenges?

roadddmap.png

The project started in October 2020 and I've no idea when it'll be completed.
Currently, Castle Greyrot's private demo has 6 stages and fully implemented the basics of the game.
Controller support, keyboard support and mouse support are there as well.
Planning to make 30+ hours of playtime. The current content is about 6 hours long... Yeah, that's a lot of work to do!

SCREENSHOTS.png

Game_605Xtv0WsU.jpgGame_HglCV9wL7B.jpgmapp.pngGame_cRcExREkrk.jpgSpecial_Reward_Room.pngGame_qKW9QVndTr.jpg

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Looks cool! I'm a sucker for a roguelike. The graphical style is neat too.

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looks cool! I'm a sucker for a roguelike. The graphical style is neat too.
Thank you very much! There is a bit of Metroidvania aspect as well with how classes can do certain things.

Working hard for the graphical style!~

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I last post here.
I've added a demo download link on the topic. Enjoy!

Download Here!

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, so your game looks and sounds really cool. So I wanted to give the demo a try. However when double-clicking on Game.exe nothing happens. I even executed the file in the command line to see if there would be some kind of error message, but nothing happens. The process seems to immideately terminate without any output.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I played a bit, but not my game, However, during the short run,
the name input of the "m" is overlapping as it's a bug, which could
be easy solved by a snippet on the forum.

However while I dislike the game and not my taste, here are my thoughts,

the magician elf that show up in your first fight is a "meet again", as
there is a previous game where they met? otherwise, how did they know
each other?

the pro's I do like is the bestiary, which is nicely done, but you should
prefer if page is max, back to page 1 and/or back to the main menu.

I believe that part part is evented, like the rest of the entire menu.
and it's also really smooth.

but while I played 20min, some things a kinda slow and no movement,
more visual noval than walking around the world, maybe it comes sooner
or later or not, but nicely done anyway :)

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, so your game looks and sounds really cool. So I wanted to give the demo a try. However when double-clicking on Game.exe nothing happens. I even executed the file in the command line to see if there would be some kind of error message, but nothing happens. The process seems to immideately terminate without any output.
I've tried my game on 3 different computers and all of them are working as intended. Can you tell me what your computer specs are?

I played a bit, but not my game, However, during the short run,
the name input of the "m" is overlapping as it's a bug, which could
be easy solved by a snippet on the forum.

However while I dislike the game and not my taste, here are my thoughts,

the magician elf that show up in your first fight is a "meet again", as
there is a previous game where they met? otherwise, how did they know
each other?

the pro's I do like is the bestiary, which is nicely done, but you should
prefer if page is max, back to page 1 and/or back to the main menu.

I believe that part part is evented, like the rest of the entire menu.
and it's also really smooth.

but while I played 20min, some things a kinda slow and no movement,
more visual noval than walking around the world, maybe it comes sooner
or later or not, but nicely done anyway :)
That overlap issue is my eternal enemy. I've tried so many things to fix that issue, but none are working in my favor. Even editing the font with a program couldn't fix it.

The main cast of heroes knew each other, like us they are also on a mission to end the curse. I might expand the intro and make that clear.

All of the menus are evented, took some time to implement that kind of stuff lol. I'll add a button to went back to page 1 or a home button. Thank you so much for the feedback!

You are correct that the game feels like a visual novel because of its core design. There are hidden paths in the castle you discover later on, there will be multiple paths~ But you can't physically explore freely everywhere because of it's limited to the game's stage selection system.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have the input part somewhere, once I found it, I share it here, as it is
a snippet on the forum that fix that issue (specially the m and w) that
sticks it together.

but while I like your menu design, keep up the good work :)

EDIT:
here is the plugin.

there might be another one, but this one is shorter as works better.
not sure if it does on your end though.

Attachments

• NameInputFontFix.js
    249 bytes · Views: 1
Last edited:

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
EDIT:
here is the plugin.

there might be another one, but this one is shorter as works better.
not sure if it does on your end though.
Thank you so much for the plugin! That solved the font issue as you mentioned! :kaoluv:

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Played for a short while, here are some random thoughts:

-The visual style is nice, the evented menus seem to run quite smoothly and the music sets the tone nicely.

-It would be nice if the enemy hp bar stayed visible all the time (would help when there are multiple enemies in the stage)
-I think it plays the same sound effect whether an attack hits or misses?
-I think the player character pic stretch effect is a bit too strong (just a personal preference though)
-In the beginning the woman should probably say: "What a great way to GET TO know each other..."

-Wow, around 90 statuses? Going to be hard to remember all of those :D

-Are those curses random? It can hurt quite a bit if you get hit by a curse which affects a stat you'd need against a specific enemy

And lastly, this game was too difficult at least for me. Already the second stage enemy (Medium + Ghosts) beat me twice. It just happened to spam that magic attack that hit twice for a total of over 300(?) damage. And then those two ghosts targeted me with spells after that.
I'm also not sure how you can survive without the cleric healer against these bosses? Sure, you deal more damage and can take the boss out faster, but I doubt you can survive that long.

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Played for a short while, here are some random thoughts:

-The visual style is nice, the evented menus seem to run quite smoothly and the music sets the tone nicely.

-It would be nice if the enemy hp bar stayed visible all the time (would help when there are multiple enemies in the stage)
-I think it plays the same sound effect whether an attack hits or misses?
-I think the player character pic stretch effect is a bit too strong (just a personal preference though)
-In the beginning the woman should probably say: "What a great way to GET TO know each other..."

-Wow, around 90 statuses? Going to be hard to remember all of those :D

-Are those curses random? It can hurt quite a bit if you get hit by a curse which affects a stat you'd need against a specific enemy

And lastly, this game was too difficult at least for me. Already the second stage enemy (Medium + Ghosts) beat me twice. It just happened to spam that magic attack that hit twice for a total of over 300(?) damage. And then those two ghosts targeted me with spells after that.
I'm also not sure how you can survive without the cleric healer against these bosses? Sure, you deal more damage and can take the boss out faster, but I doubt you can survive that long.
Hello rpgLord69,
First of all, thanks for your feedback!

-I don't want to clutter my screen with hp bars especially when there are 9 maximum enemies on the screen! They look pretty ugly to be honest~ But I get why that feature would be a nice thing! I might add a "point over" and see health bar stuff if I can! I can't promise anything on that area.

-It seems my Miss/Evade sounds are empty on the system, I'll definitely add new sound effects there! Thank you!
-I'll also check that~ Some long characters like Elf don't care about that but Thief and Warrior just as you said stretches a bit much
-Ahhh, that's a great suggestion! I will add that too!
-Yup! The curses are random and pretty much designed to screw runs even when prepared for it~ Some are worse than others lol, I might tone down some of them.

Everyone that plays the game finds it too difficult. I want to make my game as challenging as possible, by challenging... pretty much torture level difficult. That can annoy some people but I want to design my game that way. The ghosts appear on %66 hp and %33, you got two options there~ Focus on the boss or kill the ghosts, killing the ghosts is the safest option unless you are lucky and land some crits on the boss. Provision +5 Magic Def is a must too. You can't survive the battles without Cleric, especially in the early game. When you unlock Guardian and Alchemist classes they can replace Cleric~ There are many support classes later on, but yeah 1 support is mandatory. Everything wants to kill you as fast as possible~

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got so excited about this game. I'll sum up my thoughts in a moment, but here's some point...points? For you!
  • The menus, the UI, the chapter selection, character selection, all of that is just so...interesting. I found all the menu designs very appealing, and love how different they are!
  • The RNG events as you progress through the stage is nifty! I do feel it was slightly weighted against me, but maybe I just have awful luck. I got equipment once, a health potion once, and then trapped chests at least 4 separate times (replayed some stages)
  • Oh, on the trapped chests, I always got 150 damage, which does feel a touch extreme! I do appreciate it doesn't KO the member though; nor do your DOTs
  • The daily curses were fun to play around! Except for soft spot >.> That curse meant an OHKO on everyone except my warrior. That's...not so fun to play around. I had to keep Bless on everyone at all times to just negate the curse. I would half soft spot personally. 10-15% is still a noticeable chunk that will punish players for not respecting it, but it's not OHKO territory, you know?
  • I do not like games that auto-full screen. And don't have an option for me to not full screen.
  • I think showing the HP bars when you hover over an enemy would be a huge quality of life improvement :)
  • The 'quests' to level up and improve characters was great! I replayed stage 1 a few times to get my cleric and wizard skills haha
  • I only found 1 armour piece; is it always RNG? Or is there anywhere I can reliably get armour?
  • Alright...let's talk numbers.
    I was running warrior, cleric, and wizard for all but one attempt, where I subbed thief instead of wizard.
    -Gatekeeper? Good. Nothing here to comment on. Beat first try, never game over'ed to it
    -Grotesque? Endure was a bit too much. It healed for 230-240. Now, I had to use my cleric for healing/buffing essentially every turn. With wizard and warrior, I could do, mhm...80+100=180 a round? Barring crits and misses. That's a lot of wasted resources.
    Beat first try, game over'ed to it once
    -Medium? Same, nothing here to comment on. Beat first try, never game over'ed
    -Eye thing? Ooohhh. Okay.
    Please tell me how, the paralyze gaze does 30-50 damage, then next time, does 350+?! And it's an aoe?! T-that's 2/3 of my party gone instantly. The damage variance on this skill is...really bad. Really really bad. You should never have this kind of variance. If there was a factor that buffed the damage, I didn't see it. Nothing was different between the first and the second attack.
    Never beat. Game over'ed 3 times - all to 350+ paralyze glare attack
    -Scorpion? Eh, aside from the 6-hit anger attack, nothing to say here. That attack was frustrating, but I only fought the scorpion once; had I tried again, I def could have played around it

Overall, I like what you've done here. It feels different! From the menus to the events to the resource management in combat! You've obviously put a lot of work into it, and it shows.
By far, my biggest gripe is the variance on the paralyze glare. I saw a difference of TEN TIMES between the same attack. Again. If there was a factor involved, it needs to be broadcast better. If not, this skill needs a complete rework. The point of rogue games isn't to just...brutalize the player with massive AOEs and demand RNG lands in their favour to progress.
It's to push their strategy, and decision-making skills. To ask them to make horrible choices in the name of progress. Do I use this health potion on my warrior, or use my wizard to attack, risking the warrior dying next turn? Who do I revive with my one revive item - do I revive at all? Which character do I sacrifice so I can heal my more important character for the next fight?

Your player should feel they could have played around a situation. That the game over, is their own fault. And that next time, they can do better and they can win! I felt that with all your enemies, except the eye boss. Solely because of paralyze glare. All I felt was, 'if it uses paralyze glare and gets that 350+ damage roll, there is nothing I can do. I might as well throw the fight and pray I don't get unlucky next time.'

I do really like what you've done here. It's ambitious, the UI side is special, and I always believe we need more punishing games. I just really need you to answer, what the flip-flop is going on with paralyze glare :kaoeh:

sawworm

Sir Waste Time A Lot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Turkish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I got so excited about this game. I'll sum up my thoughts in a moment, but here's some point...points? For you!
  • The menus, the UI, the chapter selection, character selection, all of that is just so...interesting. I found all the menu designs very appealing, and love how different they are!
  • The RNG events as you progress through the stage is nifty! I do feel it was slightly weighted against me, but maybe I just have awful luck. I got equipment once, a health potion once, and then trapped chests at least 4 separate times (replayed some stages)
  • Oh, on the trapped chests, I always got 150 damage, which does feel a touch extreme! I do appreciate it doesn't KO the member though; nor do your DOTs
  • The daily curses were fun to play around! Except for soft spot >.> That curse meant an OHKO on everyone except my warrior. That's...not so fun to play around. I had to keep Bless on everyone at all times to just negate the curse. I would half soft spot personally. 10-15% is still a noticeable chunk that will punish players for not respecting it, but it's not OHKO territory, you know?
  • I do not like games that auto-full screen. And don't have an option for me to not full screen.
  • I think showing the HP bars when you hover over an enemy would be a huge quality of life improvement :)
  • The 'quests' to level up and improve characters was great! I replayed stage 1 a few times to get my cleric and wizard skills haha
  • I only found 1 armour piece; is it always RNG? Or is there anywhere I can reliably get armour?
  • Alright...let's talk numbers.
    I was running warrior, cleric, and wizard for all but one attempt, where I subbed thief instead of wizard.
    -Gatekeeper? Good. Nothing here to comment on. Beat first try, never game over'ed to it
    -Grotesque? Endure was a bit too much. It healed for 230-240. Now, I had to use my cleric for healing/buffing essentially every turn. With wizard and warrior, I could do, mhm...80+100=180 a round? Barring crits and misses. That's a lot of wasted resources.
    Beat first try, game over'ed to it once
    -Medium? Same, nothing here to comment on. Beat first try, never game over'ed
    -Eye thing? Ooohhh. Okay.
    Please tell me how, the paralyze gaze does 30-50 damage, then next time, does 350+?! And it's an aoe?! T-that's 2/3 of my party gone instantly. The damage variance on this skill is...really bad. Really really bad. You should never have this kind of variance. If there was a factor that buffed the damage, I didn't see it. Nothing was different between the first and the second attack.
    Never beat. Game over'ed 3 times - all to 350+ paralyze glare attack
    -Scorpion? Eh, aside from the 6-hit anger attack, nothing to say here. That attack was frustrating, but I only fought the scorpion once; had I tried again, I def could have played around it

Overall, I like what you've done here. It feels different! From the menus to the events to the resource management in combat! You've obviously put a lot of work into it, and it shows.
By far, my biggest gripe is the variance on the paralyze glare. I saw a difference of TEN TIMES between the same attack. Again. If there was a factor involved, it needs to be broadcast better. If not, this skill needs a complete rework. The point of rogue games isn't to just...brutalize the player with massive AOEs and demand RNG lands in their favour to progress.
It's to push their strategy, and decision-making skills. To ask them to make horrible choices in the name of progress. Do I use this health potion on my warrior, or use my wizard to attack, risking the warrior dying next turn? Who do I revive with my one revive item - do I revive at all? Which character do I sacrifice so I can heal my more important character for the next fight?

Your player should feel they could have played around a situation. That the game over, is their own fault. And that next time, they can do better and they can win! I felt that with all your enemies, except the eye boss. Solely because of paralyze glare. All I felt was, 'if it uses paralyze glare and gets that 350+ damage roll, there is nothing I can do. I might as well throw the fight and pray I don't get unlucky next time.'

I do really like what you've done here. It's ambitious, the UI side is special, and I always believe we need more punishing games. I just really need you to answer, what the flip-flop is going on with paralyze glare :kaoeh:
Thank you so much for your feedback Cythera!

-The menus are the most time-consuming part besides making boss fights for me! I'm so glad that you loved it!
-I'm so sorry about your bad chest luck! Normally there are potions, a remedy and 2 types of bobby traps which one of it deals 100 and the other 150. If you have Thief with you, she can unlock those chests and can get you better rewards :~D I thought of KO party members with traps but that is scrapped, pretty much unfun.
-The daily curse of "soft spot" is the first to get nerfed to the ground on the release! You are correct about its brutality, health regen is also a culprit... especially in the long fights! Thanks for reminding me of that *blessed*
-I'll look at the windowed screen and borderless options~ I hope that won't cause any issues on my side since the all menus are clickable :~D *Noted*
-I'm working on it! That feature is a must-have now since everyone wants it! Gotta see HP bars :3
-About armor pieces, they all are RNG-based! You'll eventually find all TIER 1 Equipment in the end of Chapter 1~ With Vault stages unlocks after stage 3... you start to gain gold and purchase Tier 2 equipment that is not RNG!
-That eye boss is pretty much anti melee! Has paralyze, has blind but most importantly it can lower your thunder resistance. With 1 point on HP or Magic Resist +5 can save you so much trouble in that fight~ By the way, I have fixed that issue a month ago, the second attack is actually Thunder Gaze which I forgot to rename on the demo version! That's my fault you see two same-named attacks but they aren't! The build-up for the boss is pretty much Thunder Zone - Lowers Resist... waits and unleashes 300+ damage attacks afterwards :~D
-The scorpion has pretty cheap attacks to hunt you down, I suggest fighting that enemy with 4+ provision points, maybe 5 :~D

I'm so thrilled by your feedback! You also reminded me that I need to update my demo edition... (Going to upload it to the Steam)

Cythera

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-I'm so sorry about your bad chest luck! Normally there are potions, a remedy and 2 types of bobby traps which one of it deals 100 and the other 150
I'm okay with my bad luck haha - I'm quite used to it! Just wondering if there were any other possibilities, and clearly there are. I just...never got them :3
-About armor pieces, they all are RNG-based! You'll eventually find all TIER 1 Equipment in the end of Chapter 1~ With Vault stages unlocks after stage 3... you start to gain gold and purchase Tier 2 equipment that is not RNG!
Cool, good to know players can get equipment (which is very vital) without relying on RNG
the second attack is actually Thunder Gaze which I forgot to rename on the demo version! That's my fault you see two same-named attacks but they aren't! The build-up for the boss is pretty much Thunder Zone - Lowers Resist... waits and unleashes 300+ damage attacks afterwards :~D
Well that explains it! XD
Let me know when the game is updated; I'll give it another go! Should be easier then haha!
-The scorpion has pretty cheap attacks to hunt you down, I suggest fighting that enemy with 4+ provision points, maybe 5 :~D
Oh, I figured I was not prepped for that fight. I had one point, and that was in strength. I'm not sure what I did to unlock it, but when I saw how little my attacks chipped off its HP bar, I assumed I wasn't supposed to fight it quite yet

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kes
Let me ask you this - when was the last time you backed up? Can you afford to lose all the progress you've made since the last backup?
Just asking.
Working on fun ways to get around the Midnight Circus level! Cannons were a given :LZSlol:

apolloblastoff.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tree_of_Topaz