Castle Oblivion 3

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Luiishu535, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Luiishu535

Luiishu535 Coffee Machine Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Liked Castle Oblivion 3? Check out the Remake of the original Castle Oblivion!

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/39136-castle-oblivion-remake/

[​IMG]

History of the Castle Oblivion Series:

For any of you who doesn't know what Castle Oblivion is, well, CO is an  RPG series originally created by kelarly. The first game was started on may, 2007 and quickly rose up in the RPG Maker VX spotlights and turned out to be a great adventuring game. The game gained popularity fast and soon became a famous RMVX game. 

By the upcoming year, a sequel got revealed and is simply known as "Castle Oblivion 2". In CO2, kelarly aimed for another epic adventure that should have lots of new features and twice as better gameplay as the first one! It was improved by it's prequel and had a continuing plot to the previous major character. The game got famous as well and the fans were really happy and couldn't deny that the sequel turned out just as great as they thought.

By the years, the series got more and more fans but later on, no sequel was released. A young man known as "PKPwnr" decided to make a fan made sequel to the series, a game that should be known as "Castle Oblivion 3". In order to keep the series from "disappearing in Oblivion", this man started the game but eventually, the game got deleted and thereby cancelled. It was never showed in public, only heard of. 

Later on, other fans started to make fan made sequels and even a remake of the first CO but none of them got fully released. By the years, the series lost it's popularity and slowly faded out in the shadows.. No signs of a new sequel to the series were heard of and kelarly continued to make projects and made instead "Feral Dreams" who still today is  my favorite RMVX Game. There were still no sequels to the CO-series afterwards, until today, when me(luiishu535) decided to continue this epic RPG-Saga by starting the new and maybe the last and final sequel to the awesome series,

"Castle Oblivion 3"

Previous CO Games:

Castle Oblivion:

Castle Oblivion 2:

Story:

A scientist known as Evan has his own hobby of exploring places all around the world. A rumor has been told that a treasure is hidden somewhere on a very rare island that is said to be hidden deep within a fog so thick that not even the eye of a deaf captain could see it. As the young scientist prepares to sail out in the sea in hope to find the hidden island, a greater evil awaits them that neither Evan or his companion are aware of. Will this treasure hunt turn out as it was expected, or will a drastic wave change the course of this adventure?

World:

The story takes place on the ancient island of Strombidge. This island isn't the normal paradise you'd travel to on your vacations, this is the island that's so well hidden that no one's ever found it.

The story also takes action in a place beyond reality. Is it a dreamworld, or is it a paradise? Is it even real? You'll have to find out about that yourself!

Characters:

Evan:

[​IMG]

A young scientist at the age of 24, who loves to explore! He's a very nice person who

has a curious heart and always puts everyone else before him! His goal is to find his own path in 

life and make sure to live everyday as if it was his last.

Rebecka:

[​IMG]

Rebecka is a young girl who appears in the game as a bit of an annoying person. She may be young

and cute, but this babe knows how to fight! She fights for her own survival and nothing more,

at least to start with. Later on, she'll appear as a more "emotional" character who truly has a soul of a kind.

Shaun:

[​IMG]

A young surfer, the coolest guy in town, lives in Trincol, with his mom. 

Shaun's the man who likes to live on the edge! He enjoys all the little

things life has to offer and he's always trying to be as honest as he

can be. Funny, maybe not too serious at times, Shaun's a really 

sensitive who always puts his friends and people he cares about 

at first.

Vera:

[​IMG]

Daughter of Gaunt and sister of Gloria. Vera is rather shy, a quiet girl. 

She spends most of here time wandering around doing her father's 

errands her sister. She mostly just, tags along, if you know what 

I mean.

Hudson:

[​IMG]

Hudson will be Evan's captain and also companion throughout this trip. He's not the

greedy lovable who does it all for the money, well maybe sort of, but this man has

a huge interest in treasures! He loves them! And he truly believes there could be a

treasure somewhere on the island. That's why he won't just do it for the money...

Mr. Gaunt:

[​IMG]

This man is very mysterious. He lives in the castle on Strombidge Island. There's

little we know about, yet so much to find out.

Gloria:

[​IMG]

Gloria is Gaunt's beloved daughter and twin sister to Vera. She's a hard 

working girl who does everything she can to help her father. Her main goal 

is to one day become as successful and great as her father. Gloria can also

be a bit rude at some points, at least if you're not her father or sister.

She keeps her sister, Vera, very close to her and she won't let anyone 

treat her with disrespect. A very protective sister indeed.

Screenshots:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Gameplay and Mood:

The gameplay takes place in 2 different worlds! On the mystic island, Strombidge and inside the floors of The Castle. The game is meant to be fun to play, exciting, emotional, scary and challenging.

CO3 will deliver an epic mix of both reality AND imagination.

So if you're the fan of games based on true reality or the fan of the games that are surprisingly imaginable, stay on, this game might do the trick for both of you.

Features:

- A mysterious castle filled with over 9 different worlds to explore!

- Exciting and climactic story with twists!

- Fun gameplay with a good mix of exploration, battles, puzzles, scenes and more!

- Well mapped areas with beautiful, creepy, mysterious and unique atmospheres.

- Minimap system that displays in your upper left corner which you can turn on/off at almost any point!

- Secrets! Hidden arrows, items, skills, bosses, rooms, side quests and all kinds of goodies! Gives the game a good replay value.

- A challenging difficulty. The game requires thinking, rather than repetitive button mashing.

- Two endings! A good and a bad one.

- Expected game length: 30-40 hours.

Download:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/4242/downloads/

Credits:

Story

Luiishu535

(Kelarly)

Graphics

Enterbrain

RPG Maker Vx Resource Planet

André Fernandes

Grafikal

Minkoff

Darkhalo

Kaduki

Edits by Luiishu535 & Kelarly

Mapping

Luiishu535

Scripting

Enu

Kylock

Mr. Bubble

Shu

AlphaWhelp

Woratana

Moghunter

Mr. Anonymous

Yanfly Engine RD

DiamondandPlatinum3

Ccoa

DerVVulfman

BulletXt

OriginalWij

Yeyinde

Lomexi

Touchfuzzy 

Mithran

RFTD

Vixotic

Music

Rayman I & 2 OST

Grandia Series OSTs

Final Fantasy X & VII Advent Children & XII

Kingdom Hearts Series OSTs

Devil May Cry Series OSTs

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess OST

Various VGM

"I Am The Wind"

By Cynthia Harrel

Special Thanks

Kelarly

Zachfoss

Boos405

rpgmaker.net

rpgmakervx.net

rmrk.net

Fans/Supporters

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2015
    KanaX, luzi, RobbieLA and 2 others like this.
  2. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Glad to finally see this here! That clown picture still makes me jump though..

This game is great, I highly recommend trying it out!

Luiishu535 likes this.
  3. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks! You should post Witchtooth here as well, since it seems like the old forums are slowly dying, one by one... :/

4. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Castle Oblivion 2 was the game that made me interested in RM and indie game development, it's very old and technically limited too (compared to today's standards) but I liked the plot and whole concept about it. And 30-40 hours? Interesting, that's incredibly long for an rm game. I like your mapping a lot btw, you made a very good use of the VX RTP and everything else looks solid too.

I'll finish it soon as I'll get the chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
  5. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

Wow - There's an actor named Evan! =D

DoctorArtist likes this.
  6. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Dalph: Thanks! I hope you'll get some nostalgia experiences when you play the game! The game can be a bit challenging, so guess it would be wise of me to put up the walkthrough here for reference.

@Evan: Yup and he is even the MAIN character in this game! ^^

Evan Finkel and Dalph like this.
  7. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I thought I would give this a go, to see what it was like, but I'm undecided about whether to continue.  I'll give some feedback as it might be a bit of use for future projects.

• Quite a number of typos, and the sentence construction is odd in some places, making it sound a bit immature.
    • You clearly love... significant pauses at strategic moments... in your dialogue.  However, this makes an already slow dialogue even slower and becomes tedious after a while.  Trust the player to read it intelligently.
    • That sound effect with your text - it drove me demented, so I turned off all SEs to get rid of it, which was a shame, as it meant that I lost all other SEs as well.  Something like that is likely to be unpopular with at least a significant minority of players (maybe majority? Who knows?)
    • No autodash.  The prospect of holding down shift for 30-40 hours is not appealing, but then what do I discover?  Dash is disabled inside buildings.  What???  I can see no logical reason for it.  Why do I need to drag myself around ordinary houses?
    • Red crystals have a long piece of dialogue attached to them. Fine the first time to give essential information.  But to give it forever?
    • Putting just those points together means that the game play feels slow and labored.  I found myself thinking a couple of times "I'm not surprised this is predicted to be 30-40 hours long".
    • Pricing.  I think this is a bit of a disaster area.  At the beginning money is tight, but a player could easily think that parting with 300 gold for a mini-map is worth it.  No it's not. You're only on that map for a few minutes.  Too late, unless you reload.  Potions and healing items cost so much, and when there's only one party member have to be used so heavily, that fighting can quickly bankrupt you.  The cost of healing far outweighs the money you get.  So the only option is to grind a bit near the healing crystal, which is why I know that the dialogue is repeated ever single time.  Not very interesting, but the only way to get a level or 2 and a bit of money to get some gear - and yes, I did find the gold coins, and did sell them, but it's still not enough without some grinding.
    • Strategy is useless when you are being constantly poisoned.  No point healing up, because the other hornet or the other spider will only inflict it again and in the meantime you haven't dealt any damage.  So you lose your HP every turn and by the end are pretty near death, so a quick totter to the healing crystal.  Rinse and repeat.  Not an interesting element of game play.
    The story looked promising, the mapping is very nice, I had thought I'd get stuck into this.  But at the moment continuing does not entice me.  I'm sorry if this all sounds rather negative.  I went into this thinking that I'd like it, and it just hasn't panned out that way.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2014
  8. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    • I am aware of the dialogue not being spot on at all times in the game. Could you give me some examples on the wrong sentence constructions? I have heard this before, but no one's ever given me a reference, which led to me not being aware of them. I have definitely improved on my English writing since I finished the game though.
    • Believe me, the waiting has been 10x times worse than this before. I mainly used it for dramatic effects , but have also come to realize that it's not particularly necessary to do so. I also wanted to add a more normal rhythm to the dialogue (trying to make it a bit more realistic).
    • This game could definitely benefit from an Options Menu! Sadly, I didn't find any script like that which worked well with my other scripts. This way, you'd be able to turn on autodash and lower SE in-game. I'm probably not going to disable dashing indoors/or ever in my future games. Also, I'm not really sure why I disabled dashing inside houses in the first place. 
    •  The dialogue of the rest Red Crystals won't be that "long". 
    • Above that, it actually is a pretty big game. It's mostly linear, but it still has lots of content to it.
    • I don't really enjoy when games easily give you 99999x money. I wanted to give the Gold a higher value and let the player invest more carefully. 
    • I will agree that having status ailments such as Poison with only one character at the beginning isn't too user friendly. Another thing that will come into consideration for future games. 
    I'm glad you're honest and any and all feedback is always much appreciated IMO. Maybe I'll add different difficulties to the game in the future. One normal, one hard and one easy mode (which would targeted to players who simply want to enjoy the story without too much challenge). Thanks a lot for playing either way!

9. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I recently decided to upload a patch with the optional bosses I had planned. I can safely say that it has finally arrived:

There are a total of 10 new, optional and challenging boss battles as of this update! Can you find them all? Or even better, can you defeat em' all?

Only thing you'll need to do is to download this new patch and replace the Data File with the old one in the game folder.

If you'd happen to have any troubles, feel free to comment or send me a PM.

With that out of the way, I'll continue to work on my future project(s). There might be even more coming sooner than I expected, so DEFINITELY keep yourselves tuned for more updates!

10. RobbieLA

RobbieLA Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Looking nice, man! I used to be around the RM youtube community on a different account and it's good to see you still working. I'll be looking forward to those updates you promised.

11. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thanks man and glad to see a fellow RM youtuber! Things are going pretty good concerning the new projects and I can hardly wait to show what I have in store!

RobbieLA likes this.
  12. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A few days ago, SerenityCrystal, finished up a walkthrough for CO3! If you ever feel stuck in the game, I recommend you to check it out!

Here's the first episode:

Link to full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXJjMQR1stMXU8hSZWlZGh7A-clTqJtXp

Hope it will come in handy for some of you out there. Also, huge thanks to SerenityCrystal for uploading all 106 parts of the walkthrough! :)

RobbieLA likes this.
  13. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey there. I've decided to give the game a try since it looked promising from the opening post. Much of my experiences were similar to Ksjp17 a few posts above. I'll go through everything bit by bit.

First things first, I found it kind of strange how the title screen would take a while to fully load up. First we just get commands with black screen, then the image of scrolling map appears and rain sound, and only sometime after the music kicks in. Was this intentional? Also it's kind of strange that 'Load Game' option is selectable when there are no saved games present. Not a big issue, just a little strange.

I decided to watch the intro (I always do upon first time playing any game), but it was all just text, text, and more text. I would've hoped it would show a bit more, but with all that text it felt a bit like an info dump. I ended up skipping half of it because I just wanted to play the game at that point.

And when that intro finished, I kept having to wait through more cutscenes and the character talking to himself. I just kept saying "Let me play the game already!" Perhaps some of the starting dialogue could be shortened a bit? Or like Ksjp17 pointed out, not to put too many pauses in.

A couple of cool things I noticed right away:

- I love how the character faces slide into the screen from the side whenever dialogue happens.

- The animated arrows are very useful at directing the player to the points of interest. Really nice touch with these.

I never liked the idea of saving being disabled. I can understand if it's a design choice. Just personally I like to be able to save anywhere, or at least have save points be very frequent (like every 5-10 min).

It'd be nice to have a ladder effect on the rope the characters use to climb down. Otherwise it breaks the perspective a bit.

I do like the story concept of the castle trapping those who venture inside. I haven't played previous games, but this is a nice concept and gives a good sense of mystery, making the player want to know why this happens.

The dialogue in the first bit of the game was a bit bland. The villain spoke like a typical evil villain and the heroes spoke like typical heroes of fiction too. The part once you start playing as Evan has much better dialogue with more personality, though at times I've found the characters talk a bit too much and repeat themselves. I'd highly suggest to keep the dialogue a bit more to the point.

I too don't understand why dashing is disabled inside houses. It doesn't seem to have any point to it. Also yeah, the explanation when interacting with the red crystals seems redundant every time you interact with it. First time round is enough. Afterwards there should be a switch triggered that bypasses this explanation, since we don't need to know it anymore.

Passability. Upon arriving on the island, there is a palm tree that's clipping into one of the ship's masts.

I really love the travelling clown. He is probably my favourite character so far, and the most interesting one too. I hope there's more to him later in the game than just selling maps.

How is Erwin managing to teleport so fast from outside to inside the house and down to the rooms in the basement? I enter the next room and he's already there. How is that possible? Lol.

I have some criticisms in regard to balancing and battles, so I'll bundle them all together:

• The spinning circle animation that happens every time someone casts a magic spell really slows down the battle.
    • Some battlebacks don't make much sense. It breaks the immersion because I see the player and enemies stand on top of walls or objects.
    • I came across a weapon merchant upon arriving at the island and bought a club from him. A little later I came across a shop and had money for a better weapon, but there were literally no enemies in between, so it felt like a waste of money having to buy that club.
    • I noticed water spell costs more energy to use than fire spell. Does it deal more damage? I couldn't see much difference in combat, but maybe I'm wrong.
    • It's a bit strange that spiders graphic has them facing away from me. It'd be nicer to maybe mirror them to face the player.
    • Encounters are a bit on the frequent side in that foresty area, but at least I can escape them fine.
    • I died on the stone golem boss and it didn't seem to have much strategy. Just sheer damage really, which means I have to grind. I am generally not a fan of only having 1 party member in battle when default RM battle system is used. It causes me to spend too many turns healing rather than dealing damage, which makes battles feel very slow. How soon till the next party member joins?

The game is not bad so far. Mapping is certainly very nice and there weren't any serious bugs or anything. Just lots of smaller issues that I've pointed out above, which unfortunately hinder the overall experience a fair bit. I hope this critique is useful and good luck.

Luiishu535 likes this.
  14. helloshe8

helloshe8 Warper Member

can someone tell me how can i find the SEA TOWER ??????

my ship travelling in the sea again and again,,,

but i still cannot find the SEA TOWER

thx.....  -________-

15. Oddball

Oddball Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This looks like a game that I would really enjoy, when I get done downloading "the homework salesman" I'm downloading this next, but playing it first!

Your maps in the screenshots are just BEAUTIFUL! I hope to one day be able to make maps this pretty!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    Luiishu535 likes this.
  16. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @helloshe8: The Sea Tower is located southeast of the Northern Cove. Some people think it's a bit tricky to find. xD You can check this video out if you don't manage to find it. ^^

@Oddball: Thanks a lot! I hope you'll enjoy it and feel free to ask for tips/help if you'd ever get stuck in a hard part, or whatever. ;)

@Matseb2611: I'll answer your reply tomorrow/later today (it's 3 AM where I live xD).

17. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Matseb2611: A lot of the critique you've given is similar to what ksjp17s mentioned. Some design choices were a bit weird and I may change some of them (if I ever make any future updates), like not being able to dash inside the buildings. This is also one of those games that get better and better as the you progress. The game was in production for almost 4 years which may explain why some things get better, like the writing. It's also worth mentioning that I more or less didn't know any English at all when I started on the game. However, I did go through the whole game like 3+ times in order fix as much grammar errors as possible to my understanding. 

I agree with most of your points and I've already taken them to heart as I'm now developing my new game. This game is a little slow in the beginning, but as I said, it gets better and more BANG-packed as you progress. I'm glad you're able to enjoy it either way, despite the stuff you pointed out. 

Also, Evan will get a new party member as soon as he arrives to Floor 3.

To everyone: I'm very likely to have my new game ready sometime next week. It's still a secret, but not for long. Also, expect a decent length DEMO to come with it!  :)  

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
    RobbieLA, ShinGamix and Matseb2611 like this.
  18. Matseb2611

Matseb2611 Innovate, don't emulate Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad the critique was useful. I'll have a go at that boss again at some point. I know exactly what you mean in regard to the game getting better in late stages due to a learning curve during development. I think it's true for many RM games (including many of my earlier ones too).

And that's good to hear about a new game. I'll keep an eye out on it.

Luiishu535 likes this.
  19. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Of course, especially when it's our first games we're making. About what you said about the Water Skill, it is normally stronger than Fire. However, some enemies have resistance/better magic defense against certain elements. In your upcoming boss fight, I recommend using the Water spell as your main damage dealer. Careful is what you need to be in most of these fights. Good luck!

20. Luiishu535

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I actually managed to release my newest game last week (even though I had little to no time). Unfortunately, the game hasn't been approved on RMW yet (I hope it does soon though!).

If you can't wait to check the game out, then head over here. The demo is out too, by the way... 

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
    RobbieLA likes this.