First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
co1-title.png

Developer: luiishu535

Main Writer: the13thsecret

“I want to return.” 

Have you ever made a mistake you regretted so much that you wish it possible to turn back time?

That memory will never release you from its agonizing grasp for the rest of your life.

But even if the present gave you the privilege to relive the past, would you have the strength to confront it?

Or would your sins damn you into oblivion? 

In our remake of Castle Oblivion, we've done a complete overhaul: Story, Character Development, Maps, and Gameplay worthy of current RPG players.

The Castle welcomes newcomers and old-timers alike. And if you played the original, you’ll definitely want to revisit the Castle again. 

Story:

Vincent and Azen, two knights stuck in the rain, discovered a strange Castle. Their host was gracious enough to offer permanent refuge by kidnapping Azen with an overwhelming power. Not wanting to be next, Vincent abandoned his friend. After drifting through decades of guilt and wanting to redeem himself, the Castle returned. Vincent will find new friends and foes as he traverses the Castle’s memory-made worlds to rescue Azen, but can everyone overcome the shameful past?
Characters: 

Vincent:

Vincent.png

A straightforward knight from Kingdom Threas. In a desperate moment, he chose to save himself and abandoned his closest friend Azen to the Castle. It was a decision that cost him his self-respect, but it also spurred him to become someone better. The Castle has reappeared after decades of training. Can Vincent take the opportunity to make amends?

Tikal:

Tikal.png

A quiet witch living in the Cemetery Woods on the first Floor who provides better hospitality than the Castle and Gilgamesh. Tikal and Hanz are determined to find a way out of their bleak home on the first Floor. Not much is known about her past, but she seems to know a lot about the Castle. Her magical talents will be a great asset.

Hanz:

face005.png

A loyal knight from the turbulent country, Asmen, he’ll stick through thick and thin. He’s also stuck on the same Floor as Tikal. Uninterested in living the rest of his life in the Castle, Hanz has been toiling to explore and prepare a way for everyone to leave with him. It’s too bad that most people lack his dedication and decisiveness.

Celcia:

Vera.png

A thie--treasure hunter from the archipelago country, Tynedis. She’s stuck as a captive on the second Floor. In contrast to the three other silent types in the party, Celcia is by far the most bubbly and wears her heart on her sleeve. Her constitution isn’t the greatest, but where there’s a treasure, there’s a way!

Gilgamesh:

Gilgamesh.png

The Castle’s host and Dilan’s apprentice. He has the task of welcoming visitors with the Castle’s finest hospitality whether they want it or not. With Vincent’s return, Gilgamesh also has the task of monitoring his progress. Perhaps Gilgamesh will learn something from Vincent’s inspirational quest.

Dilan:

Dilan_Bust.png

The Mad Philosopher, the architect who built the Castle itself, brick-by-brick and memory-by-memory, and the Castle’s current Lord. Dilan has lived a long life in the Castle running experiment after experiment. Trifles like “ethics” won’t stand in his way of advancing humanity. He’s far too busy to deal with Vincent. 
Screenshots: 

reco1-tropical-island-secret.png
reco1-mausoleum-catacombs.png
reCO1_Ruki_Volcano_Entrance.png
reCO1_Lake_Dragon.png

reCO1_Great_Crystal.png
reCO1_Butterfly_Falls_Inside.png

reCO1_Undersea_Battle.png
reCO1_Ill_Room.png

reCO1_Butterfly_Falls.png
These_breasts_gave_me_a_very_secure_feeling2.png

reCO1_Port_Brinks_Beach_NEW3.png
reCO1_Succubus_Battle.png

Even More Screenshots:

reco1-grave-town.png
reCO1_Resistance_Orb.png

reCO1_Vast_Sands.png
reco1-wraith-battle.png

reco1-floor-2-exit.png
reco1-bandit-stronghold-entrance.png

reco1-worlds-graveyard.png
reCO1_Tropical_Battle.png

reco1-poor-tikal.png
reCO1_Secret_Hot_Spring.png

reCO1_Northern_Road.png
reCO1_Cloudy_Secret.png

reCO1_Small_Cave.png
reCO1_Northern_Cove_Forest.png

reCO1_Thunder_Road.png
reCO1_Lower_Secret.png

reCO1_Butterfly_Jungle.png
reCO1_Battle_against_Lizard_Knights.png

reCO1_Laputa_Royal_Academy_of_Sciences.png
reCO1_My_Key_Has_More_Character_Development_Than_Your_Entire_Main_Cast.png

reCO1_Somber_Snow_Town.png
reCO1_Merchants_House.png

reCO1_King_of_Card_Games.png
reCO1_Tent_Scene.png
reCO1_Snowy_Path.png
reCO1_Light_Road.png
Features: 

- A rewritten and more expanded take on the original plot. Filled with tons of BANG!

- Re-balanced battles, designed for an enjoyable challenge, rather than frustration.

- Remade, detailed maps filled with variety. Makes the Castle feel more deep and alive than ever before!

- Stronger development for the different characters in the game.

- Save anywhere!

- Interesting and creative puzzles to solve!

- Rescue other trapped souls (NPCs) from the Castle!

- Find Recovery Crystals, which you can either use to heal or break for stat-increasing items!

- Witness Vincent's hometown, Port Brinks, evolve as the story progress.

- Lots of secret rooms and treasure are rewarded for the dedicated explorer.

- Find Huge Gold Coins, Gold Pouches, Gold Blocks and more!

- Optional Bosses and Floors to test your might and uncover more information about the game's world and characters.

Estimated game length: 20-30 hours 

WATCH THE TRAILER!

Download: http://rpgmaker.net/games/7548/downloads/7704/ 

Credits:

Castle Oblivion: Remake

Based on kelarly's game

Story:

the13thsecret

Luiishu535

Writing:

the13thsecret

Luiishu535

Gameplay:

Luiishu535

Graphics:

Enterbrain

MACK/REFMAP

André Fernandes

Grafikal

Minkoff

Darkhalo

Kaduki

Chocolate Mint Tree

Edits by the13thsecret, Luiishu535 & Kelarly

Mapping:

Luiishu535

Scripting:

Enu

Kylock

Mr. Bubble

Shu

AlphaWhelp

Woratana

Moghunter

Modern Algebra

Mr. Anonymous

Yanfly

DiamondandPlatinum3

Ccoa

DerVVulfman

Dargor

BulletXt

OriginalWij

KGC

Yeyinde

Erzengel

Lomexi

Touchfuzzy 

Mithran

ziifee

RFTD

Vixotic

GreatRedSpirit

Music:

Yoko Shimomura

Tsukasa Tawada

Eric Chevalier 

David Wise & Michiko Naruke

Yutaka Minobe & Takayuki Maeda

"Remembrance" by Nightmare

Testers:

kenlan 

WalkerMage102

the13thsecret

Riff

Adena

Special Thanks:

Kelarly

Boos405

Zachfoss

GreatRedSpirit

Adena

ksjp17 & Matseb2611

rpgmaker.net & rpgmakerweb.com

Fans/Supporters

And YOU!

Created By: 

Luiishu535

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
 Battles have been redesigned and more balanced
Hmm, defeated Gilgamesh without too much trouble.  Then outside (where I think I have to make a timed escape bit?  Left in the dark here, so just guessing.  Hate being left in the dark...) the second encounter was with 3 enemies (flying insects of some description, no maybe bats).  Game over in one turn.  Balanced?  Second encounter?

EDIT

Had another go, got past the bats, somewhat depleted in MP by now, but hey.  Then I met the 3 Castle Bones.  Game over.  Out of curiosity, I opened up your database.  Jump is set to rating of 3.  However, the AI is pretty crude, because although set to 3, in turn 2 all 3 enemies used it, and then in turn 3, 2 used it.  

EDIT AGAIN

I'm nothing if not persevering, so back in again, and this time none of the Bones did Jump, so I've escaped.

Lustermx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
:D

Castle Oblivion is like a classic in RPG maker land! So glad to see a remake with such beautiful maps! Downloading demo now~

:)

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm, defeated Gilgamesh without too much trouble.  Then outside (where I think I have to make a timed escape bit?  Left in the dark here, so just guessing.  Hate being left in the dark...) the second encounter was with 3 enemies (flying insects of some description, no maybe bats).  Game over in one turn.  Balanced?  Second encounter?

EDIT

Had another go, got past the bats, somewhat depleted in MP by now, but hey.  Then I met the 3 Castle Bones.  Game over.  Out of curiosity, I opened up your data base.  Jump is set to rating of 3.  However, the AI is pretty crude, because although set to 3, in turn 2 all 3 enemies used it, and then in turn 3, 2 used it.  
Hmm, I know that the Skeletons can be a bit tough, but not these bats. What Skills did you use? Starfall is usually the best option, since both the bats and skeletons are weak to it. I think the lack of restorative items may be a problem, so I'm most likely to add a chest to the Dining Room with some Potions, Magic Waters and probably an Elixir.

I thought the Escape scene could be somewhat trial & error to some, so that's why I let the player save right after the boss fight. You should be able to pull through if you use your skills wisely (I recommend attacking the slimes, one Starfall on the bats, recover if necessary and have 1-2 Starfall ready for the skeletons.

I'd love to hear your feedback on the rest of the demo, so I do hope you give it another go at some point. 

Another idea is to make the battles scripted (I'm seriously thinking about this), so that it feels more fast-paced and not too stressful. What do you think would be best? I believe it's important that the early parts of the game leave the player interested for more and not frustrated.

:D

Castle Oblivion is like a classic in RPG maker land! So glad to see a remake with such beautiful maps! Downloading demo now~

:)
It sure is! A true RM classic indeed. Glad to see you giving it a shot. Hope you'll enjoy and I'd love to hear your thoughts on it later! ^^

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'd love to hear your feedback on the rest of the demo, so I do hope you give it another go at some point.
I've done some more, but will have to stop for a day or so as RL is somewhat demanding at the moment.  Here is what I have so far.  These are unedited notes, so may be a bit jumbled,

Mapping – nice.  I like what you’ve done within the tile limitations of VX.  They are well thought out and interesting.

The title menu command comes up twice.  If I’m not fast, it goes on to the one which leads to the flashback.  Okay, it then waits, so I’m not forced to repeat it, but I think it would look better, and flow more smoothly, if it didn’t do that.  It should go to the Castle entrance only once, on New Game.  Oh, and that reminds me, ‘Continue’ was highlighted at the beginning, making it appear to be a valid choice, even though I had no save file.

Your music is good and well chosen for the different locations so far, but it doesn’t loop.  If you’re in a place for any length of time e.g. exploring the town, the gap between the track ending and then starting up again is very noticeable. 

There is a sparkle on the sign outside the inn, but no text.

I find it odd that NPCs have their name appear in a nice little separate text box at the top, whereas Vincent appears at the bottom, not in a text box and with a colon after it.

This is a bit confusing.  There is an Inn, but when I leave the town, it appears that I can’t come back.  I have 500g, but all the shops are shut, even though I’m getting all these hints about a flower which cures Sleep.  So a set of signals is telling me that I can return, but in fact I can’t.

On a side issue, if I can return, why would I, as a character, want to use the Inn for 10g when I’ve got my own house with my own bed?

In the Castle now.

Rest Room has a set of stairs going up, but they go nowhere and there is no message telling the player why not.

Dining Room.  When I walk in front of the 2 tile high chair top left, the top of the sprite’s head vanishes.  That’s because the top tile of that chair is set to star (I’m guessing here).  You might want to place that chair back with an event instead.

For the first part of the first conversation with Tikal there is no music.  Is that intended?

Typos etc.

Intro:  “it’s torrential downpoor”  should read “downpour” and I would make it “a torrential downpour”.

Uncle, outside pub “Making you deadly attacker…” should read “Making you a deadly…”

When Vincent returns and is standing outside the castle

“…strong enough to take him on in the first.”  Should read “…in the first place.”

Gilgamesh

“But even decades taught you nothing of etiquette.” I think that would be better if it read “But even decades have taught you nothing…”

In the first conversation with Tikal, Vincent says that there is no such thing as witchcraft.  She replies

“It most certainly does” which is actually a reply to “witchcraft does not exist.”  The reply to “there is no such thing as witchcraft” is “There most certainly is.”

Luiishu535

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The reason there's a black screen first is because the script I'm using must load the tint/rain etc for some reason. I'm not sure if it's possible to change things in the title screen, like showing certain things only once, since it's not technically in-game. I'll try to fix the highlight bug somehow.
The title menu command comes up twice.  If I’m not fast, it goes on to the one which leads to the flashback.  Okay, it then waits, so I’m not forced to repeat it, but I think it would look better, and flow more smoothly, if it didn't do that.  It should go to the Castle entrance only once, on New Game.  Oh, and that reminds me, ‘Continue’ was highlighted at the beginning, making it appear to be a valid choice, even though I had no save file.

Your music is good and well chosen for the different locations so far, but it doesn’t loop.  If you’re in a place for any length of time e.g. exploring the town, the gap between the track ending and then starting up again is very noticeable. 
I usually fix the music/loops at the final stages of development. Thanks for pointing it out though!

There is a sparkle on the sign outside the inn, but no text.
It WILL have text! ;)

I find it odd that NPCs have their name appear in a nice little separate text box at the top, whereas Vincent appears at the bottom, not in a text box and with a colon after it.
That only happens when text boxes uses the dim background (when characters are thinking, in this case).

This is a bit confusing.  There is an Inn, but when I leave the town, it appears that I can’t come back.  I have 500g, but all the shops are shut, even though I’m getting all these hints about a flower which cures Sleep.  So a set of signals is telling me that I can return, but in fact I can’t.
You CAN return, just not in the demo. The shops aren't shut (except the Tea House). Vincent is a very strong and experienced knight at the start of the game. He feels prepared as he is and only thinks that visiting the shops would be a slow down in his search for Azen.

On a side issue, if I can return, why would I, as a character, want to use the Inn for 10g when I’ve got my own house with my own bed?
The Inn is mainly for travelers/knights who passes by while on the road. I might change the dialogue of inn keeper, asking Vincent what he's doing there when he has his own place to stay.

Rest Room has a set of stairs going up, but they go nowhere and there is no message telling the player why not.

Dining Room.  When I walk in front of the 2 tile high chair top left, the top of the sprite’s head vanishes.  That’s because the top tile of that chair is set to star (I’m guessing here).  You might want to place that chair back with an event instead.
The Transfer Arrows indicate where the player can or can't go.

I set the event priority to above characters. It has been fixed now.

For the first part of the first conversation with Tikal there is no music.  Is that intended?
Yup.

Typos etc.
Most of the have been fixed now. I was in a bit of a rush when I released the demo. All of the HEAVY testing sessions are usually saved for the full game beta testing.

Thanks a bunch for your feedback! A lot the things pointed out are usually taken as minor stuff by most people, so I'm glad you were observant enough!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
A lot the things pointed out are usually taken as minor stuff by most people, so I'm glad you were observant enough!
It's all the little things like that which make the difference between a game which comes across as polished and cared for and one which doesn't.  Obviously in an early demo there will be loads of things like that, but my experience is that it makes it a lot easier to sort them all out as I go along, rather than say "oh, I'll do all that at the end", by which time it's become a mammoth task, and I'm likely to miss something.

I'm aware that I've not done any feedback on gameplay as such.  That's because I've played so little.  I hope to do more soon.

Miss Nile

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Egyptian Arabic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your maps really set a wonderful example of how it's possible to use the RTP to make beautiful maps. I really like your screenshots. :3 One thing though that's irritating is the message box in the very first screenshot. Why is it hanging in the mid air like that? XD Also, in another screenshot, the name box would be better located at the far left?

I'll try downloading it when I have more free time. It's really looking good. ^^

Luiishu535

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's all the little things like that which make the difference between a game which comes across as polished and cared for and one which doesn't.  Obviously in an early demo there will be loads of things like that, but my experience is that it makes it a lot easier to sort them all out as I go along, rather than say "oh, I'll do all that at the end", by which time it's become a mammoth task, and I'm likely to miss something.

I'm aware that I've not done any feedback on gameplay as such.  That's because I've played so little.  I hope to do more soon.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I've made loads of progress on the game lately, I think I should take a few days to go back and do some polishing. Looking forward to your feedback!

Also, I hope you'll noticed that a lot of the feedback you gave me on CO3 has been carried over and used here (the option turn on/off the text sound, no dash-disabling and an auto-dash option). Too bad that the Option to turn on/off battle animations doesn't seem to work. I hope I can fix it somehow.

Your maps really set a wonderful example of how it's possible to use the RTP to make beautiful maps. I really like your screenshots. :3 One thing though that's irritating is the message box in the very first screenshot. Why is it hanging in the mid air like that? XD Also, in another screenshot, the name box would be better located at the far left?

I'll try downloading it when I have more free time. It's really looking good. ^^
Thanks! ^^ I'm glad you look at what I've done with the RTP instead of looking at the RTP, if you know what I'm saying. ;)

The first message box in mid-air because it's a character introduction. I usually like to have them in mid-air since it doesn't melt in in the actual dialogue. I'm not sure why the text box is like that (I've never thought about to be honest). I'll investigate and see if there's something I can do!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I hope you'll noticed that a lot of the feedback you gave me on CO3 has been carried over and used here
Yes, I noticed those things, but I'd forgotten that it was me who had mentioned them.  I'm therefore doubly pleased to see them, but obviously I'm biased on this.

I can't make any suggestion about the battle animations as I know nothing about VX scripts.

Luiishu535

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Neat! I'm definitely not a scripter, but I try my best to experiment with what I have. I think the feature of turning turning on/off battle animations may only be compatible with the battle system (Melody) which it was made for.

You'll surely notice that there's a graphical bug with the caterpillar system. It's not game-breaking, but it's really annoying me since I've tried to fix that same problem for years without luck. Me and my friend are still trying though!

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
The screenshots remind me of a time when RTP wasn't a bad thing... I don't know why, maybe because it's a remake?

I don't say this often in the forums, but I'm looking forward to playing this one.

Luiishu535

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The original CO was release in 2007, very early in VXs lifespan. At that time, the RTP was new and fresh for everyone, making it wildly more acceptable.

I'm glad to see you're not one of those who decides to hate on a game, simply because it has RTP in it. 

Lustermx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I finished the demo and it was a whole lot of fun! I found it enjoyable start to finish and definitely wanted to play more once it ended.

Most of the issues I found were already mentioned in the thread, but nothing game breaking, only minor stuff! Looking forward to the end result, and over 200 maps is amazing!

Luiishu535

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sweet! Glad you liked it. I've made a lot of progress lately, so look forward for a progress report soon.

It looks like this game will end up with 300+ maps. ^^

WalkerMage102

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright, so I've got a question. I've never played any of the Castle Oblivion Series, but I really want to get into it. The thing is, I don't know where to start. I could play the original, but would it be worth it to just play this remake after that? And what about the second one, will you be remaking that as well? Also, at what point should I play the prequel, Foundation? Lastly, no matter what order I play the games in, should I play the third one last?

Luiishu535

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The story follows the series chronological order.

I'd suggest to start with Foundation, as it's the prequel.

The remakes are actually a bit different in terms of story etc. If you can't wait, then I see no problem in trying out the originals. CO3 is definitely the finale, but it can also be played as a stand alone game.

If I get enough help and support/demand, there will be a remake of CO2 as well.

WalkerMage102

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The story follows the series chronological order.

I'd suggest to start with Foundation, as it's the prequel.

The remakes are actually a bit different in terms of story etc. If you can't wait, then I see no problem in trying out the originals. CO3 is definitely the finale, but it can also be played as a stand alone game.

If I get enough help and support/demand, there will be a remake of CO2 as well.
Alright, I'll play Foundation first, try the original as I wait for the remake, then play 2 and 3. Thanks!

WalkerMage102

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh, and one more thing if you don't mind. Since CO3 is a continuation of the originals, will the Remake(s) also directly connect to it as prequels?

Luiishu535

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The remakes will be shaped to fit CO3, so don't worry about it. There won't be a lot of plot holes coming from the remakes at least. The concept and basic premise is the same as the originals.

I guess you could say that the remakes are bit more spiced up.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

If you're an artist of illustrations, you're doing fine.
If you're an artist of writing, you're doing fine.
If you're an artist of programming, you're doing fine.
But if you are all three above (and more) you cannot allow any distractions in your life.
After working out some initial confusion, I managed to get Yanfly's Improved Battlebacks successfully working on a test battle, changing the battleback and getting it to scroll during combat. This means that I can have graphically dynamic battles on moving platforms, like the roof of a train or the deck of a ship/airship...
Place Events Like Tiles Through Replacement, & Take Notes Free Form | RPG Maker News #41

the singularity is upon us:
1621133810311.png
MV's plugin command setup is the current bane of RETRO's existence. To a degree, so is MZ's. Especially when trying to make MV's plugin command interface play nice with MZ plugin commands with complex arguments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kalahan