Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A few months back I released a Beta of my very first RPG Maker Project. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/cat-quest-the-last-catmancer-beta-version-1-0-1-my-first-project.115022/

Most of the game's information can be found there. The game can also be viewed on YouTube by following the link in my signature.

The game could be considered a completed project. It is playable from start to finish. It has a complete story and everything else.

But I know it isn't the best it could be. And I have realized that I will need help to get it to that point.

So what am I looking for? Well as the title of this thread states, I need a dungeon designer. Or "redesigner." My game features nine dungeons.
Each dungeon is based on an element. Fire, Ice, Thunder, Water, Earth, Wind, Light, Darkness, and a Final dungeon that ties them all together.

My dungeons are... boring. Dull and repetitive. Looking at the gameplay videos will give you a concept of what my issues are.
They all consist of 10 randomly generated floors. A mini boss on floor 5 and a boss on floor 10. In between you just navigate the mazes and collect key shards. Collect all the shards to assemble a key to access the boss. Rinse and repeat. It gets old fast. The final dungeon is a travesty. I won't get into details here but again the video is on YouTube.

What I'm looking for is someone to:

A: Watch the videos or play through the game to see what I have so far.
B. Offer ways to improve and redesign the dungeons into something more fun and engaging for the player.
C. My only real criteria for each dungeon is that it sticks to the elemental theme.
D. You would not have to actually program and redesign the dungeons yourself unless you really want to. I am more than willing to do the work. I just need the layouts and ideas.
E. I am looking for very specific ideas however and not just general ways to improve overall.
Example: The Fire Element Dungeon. "Lets make a giant pool of lava in the center of the dungeon. The player needs to reach the small island in the center where the boss awaits. To do that they need to visit the rest of the dungeon and do such and such.
They would come across the Mini boss here. The Mini boss guards this certain item which does so and so and then..."
F. If you decide to leave the actual dungeon redesign to me, I will work to implement your ideas the best I can. I will then have you look over it again, until it is something we both are content with before moving on to the next one.

I unfortunately don't have much to give in return for these services. But I am willing to playtest any project you may have or offer my services as a decent spell checker. Hardly a fair trade which is why this is tagged as "Free".

If this project appeals to you, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to working with you.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have an idea that may help with 2 of them. For Earth, make the dungeon a forest instead. For water, why not try an underwater dungeon?

Just a quick passing thought that may help you get started until someone can come on board.

Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have an idea that may help with 2 of them. For Earth, make the dungeon a forest instead. For water, why not try an underwater dungeon?

Just a quick passing thought that may help you get started until someone can come on board.
The dungeons already have the thematic element down. Volcano, Ice Cavern, Desert during a thunderstorm, Underwater, Jungle Cavern, The Sky, A temple that climbs into "heaven" and a dark demonic world.

I'm just looking for ways to expand on them. As someone said "If I were color blind I would think they were identical."

I guess I mean the look is there, but the gameplay isn't.

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I have to go to an appointment so I don't have the time to watch the videos now and this post will be quick, but...
An easy thing I think can make a dungeon more interesting is when they have a side story tied to them. A little bit of lore. Think like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls. Even when you do a linear dungeon, having tit bits of story that you can piece together help make the dungeon stand out and push the player to explore. So this could be a way, like I said I didn't watch the videos, so I don't know, maybe your dungeons already have that, but if they don't this could be a step froward in making them more interesting.

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Another possibility is they could just be too long. By 10 levels about any dungeon is going to feel same-y. Most dungeon crawlers I've played usually change the theme every 3 - 5 levels to avoid that issue. So maybe that would help some too?

Ragpuppy87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have to go to an appointment so I don't have the time to watch the videos now and this post will be quick, but...
An easy thing I think can make a dungeon more interesting is when they have a side story tied to them. A little bit of lore. Think like Fallout or the Elder Scrolls. Even when you do a linear dungeon, having tit bits of story that you can piece together help make the dungeon stand out and push the player to explore. So this could be a way, like I said I didn't watch the videos, so I don't know, maybe your dungeons already have that, but if they don't this could be a step froward in making them more interesting.
Well, the dungeons themselves are already an important part of the main story's quest line. If you have ever played a classic Zelda title, that's very much what I was going for. Visit 8 dungeons to collect 8 mystical things to unlock the final dungeon etc...

Also @bgillisp I haven't had very many playtesters. But that does seem to be a general critique. "The dungeons are too long." Right now the appearance of the dungeon does change slightly at the halfway point. The earth dungeon goes from a jungle to a cavern for example. But the change is purely aesthetic. The length of the dungeons at this point has to do with about how long I want the player to be in the dungeon and what level they should be at the end. Each dungeon averages about a half hour. Battles and everything. If I could come up with a way to spread that half hour over a more engaging and unique experience rather than the whole "same thing but a different coat of paint thing" I would be set. That's what I'm recruiting for.

EDIT: I guess if it is really well designed each dungeon wouldn't even have to be a half hour, but I went into this project wanting to create a game that would take a certain length of time to complete. That can be changed however. if needed. I'd rather have a shorter well designed game than a longer boring and tedious one.

Last edited:

HeyItsKidd

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I can absolutely take a look at it tonight!

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I am feeling better about my update schedule, I feel like I am actually getting consistent work done even if it isn’t big updates.
It's a joy to work on a well-made map. I am not regretting this commission in the least!
I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokuboter