Catching an npc's attention

fanaticmouse

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, first off I have no idea what else I would call this kind of thing...and I'm not sure if there is anything like this existing 'cause I'm not sure exactly what I need to search for. Anyway:

I'm looking for a kind of plugin that, when a button is pressed, causes the player to wave (or whistle, whatever is preferred given you have the sprites/sounds) and notifies nearby npcs. Like in Pokemon Sword & Shield I believe whistling causes wild Pokemon to notice you if you're nearby. Something like that.

On the other hand, if this is achievable by combining existing plugins like Yanfly's Button Common events and, I don't know, Galv's Event Detectors, I'd possibly prefer that method. The only thing I'm not sure how to make work is to remove the line of sight and make npcs react to the player's whistle instead. In which case I guess requires its own plugin. Maybe?

In my case I don't need the npc to approach the player once they've noticed them, ((just have a small animation like waving back, or something)) but I guess it would be a good addition for others who'd need something like this.

Thank you in advance. :kaoblush:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
eveng dector, event sensor which are in range are capable of doing that really.
you can also use variables of player X and Y and NPC X and Y of the map.

if player is in ranger of 4, you can wave, depending if the npc walk around or have a static place.
you just need to use condition brances and probably when a buton or item is used to do things.

mog hunter has a plugin for character animation if you have the master demo, when walking, running
or idling show different animations.

Hyouryuu-Na

Currently Inactive
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Bangla/Bengali
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1. Conditional branch- when a button is pressed, play animation.
2. Within that conditional branch, run plugin command to move event towards player.

You can use any pathfinding plugin. I use Qpathfind.

fanaticmouse

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the advice!
@ShadowDragon Could you expand a bit on what you mean, though? I'm not the smartest out there haha
I'm not really great at explaining but I do need every npc within proximity of the player (give or take 5 tiles) to react to the wave. Which means if I have the wave in a common event the npcs should..react to that common event? I considered using Galv's event detector but I'm not sure how exactly I should set it up or if it's suitable, sorry.

(Also, does this constitute as being under this topic anymore? Maybe plugin support?)

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cant explain it exacly how its done while im not on my pc unfortunatly to look into the plugin.
But if you look through the plugin, I think you are able too, but its also a little bit of searching.

If you are new to MV engine, Try to know the basics and eventing, so it would be easier to figure it out.
or I could give an example when I got my pc which I dont have at this point.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, first off I have no idea what else I would call this kind of thing...and I'm not sure if there is anything like this existing 'cause I'm not sure exactly what I need to search for. Anyway:

I'm looking for a kind of plugin that, when a button is pressed, causes the player to wave (or whistle, whatever is preferred given you have the sprites/sounds) and notifies nearby npcs. Like in Pokemon Sword & Shield I believe whistling causes wild Pokemon to notice you if you're nearby. Something like that.

On the other hand, if this is achievable by combining existing plugins like Yanfly's Button Common events and, I don't know, Galv's Event Detectors, I'd possibly prefer that method. The only thing I'm not sure how to make work is to remove the line of sight and make npcs react to the player's whistle instead. In which case I guess requires its own plugin. Maybe?

In my case I don't need the npc to approach the player once they've noticed them, ((just have a small animation like waving back, or something)) but I guess it would be a good addition for others who'd need something like this.

Thank you in advance. :kaoblush:
One/Any/All Of these might help :)
https://yanflyengineplugins.itch.io/button-common-events
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/sensor-selfswitch.48715/
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/galvs-event-detectors.67977/
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/ulse-1-7-0.48292/
https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/frog-trigger-distance-fire-touch-events-at-a-distance.88311/

Made a small example... Something similar to this?
"Waving at Event" Demo: Click Here to Download
Press "o" on the keyboard to "wave"...
Have to be within 3x3 grid of the event to "wave"
Demo uses sensor-selfswitch & a small piece of custom code to trigger the "o" button.
Code:
Input.keyMapper[79] = 'o';var _iit_ctb = Input.isTriggered;Input.isTriggered = function(keyName) {if (this._latestButton === 'o') if ($gameSelfSwitches) if ($gameSelfSwitches.value([10, 1, 'B']) && !$gameSelfSwitches.value([10, 1, 'C'])) {$gameSelfSwitches.setValue([10, 1, 'C'], true);}  _iit_ctb.call(this);};
(Would normally have shown Yanfly's Button Input with this but since the plugin is no longer free I wont re-post that script)

Last edited:

fanaticmouse

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ct_bolt Wha-!?? Thank you so much!! It seems to be what I'm looking for, albeit in a simpler manner haha... I actually do have Yanfly's button to common events, would it be better to implement it with that?

One more thing, what I've planned is a side scroller-ish game, so is it possible to detect if the player is on the left or the right of the npc? Is a conditional branch checking the player's x position suitable for that..? It would be weird if the player was on their right and the animation of the npc waving back was facing the left...

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ct_bolt Wha-!?? Thank you so much!! It seems to be what I'm looking for, albeit in a simpler manner haha... I actually do have Yanfly's button to common events, would it be better to implement it with that?

One more thing, what I've planned is a side scroller-ish game, so is it possible to detect if the player is on the left or the right of the npc? Is a conditional branch checking the player's x position suitable for that..? It would be weird if the player was on their right and the animation of the npc waving back was facing the left...
Like this? Use "ctrl" to trigger. Will only trigger if the player is left or right or the event.
See demo :)
Demo: Click Here to Download

Let me know how it goes :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I cannot get the Benny Hill Theme out of my head
A wave of cold air has hit Canada... I know it's "always cold", but this one is especially cold... I'm freezing to death lol.
Have fun with English: a "fire grenade" is not portable napalm but a fire extinguisher tool.
2 days ago someone tried to convert me to Islam. Today youtube tried to convert me to Catholicism. The only thing left would be to meet sone Jehova's witnesses.
I just successfully tested changing music by region, and changing it between continents on the world map after getting on/off the airship. I had to override the default audio transitions with eventing to make it change smoothly but it worked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emarald04