RMMV Celestial Legacy - A 15-20 hour JRPG style game

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Chazareth, Aug 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio Writer - Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I haven't got a chance to play the game (too busy) but the presentation is really interesting. It seems impossible to mix and mesh medieval fantasy and steampunk elements together, major props to you if you can pull it off. The game would be really unique.

2. Euphoniac

Euphoniac Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Trying to enter the arena's inn section gets the player stuck. Since I'll certainly spend much time in the arena in a short while, it would be practical not having to go to Isla Skalda or the airship for healing each time. Well, you can probably fix this type of bug in your sleep by now. :D

I also experienced the freezing bug dnel57 reported that happens when trying to enter the slime-hunting area in Isla Skalda during part 2 of the game. My party is composed of the minimum required to visit this location at this point (Phoebe, Barth, Xelltath, Malus). Maybe Garrett being absent causes this issue; I'll check this later.

3. Chazareth

Chazareth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been looking into this issue and can't find the problem. When it freezes, are you still able to use the arrow keys to change the player's facing? Can you still open the menu?

4. kenlan

kenlan Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    In the palace where you meets Lena you goes right through her when you tries to talk to her, (in front of the coffin).

5. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    @Chazareth: I'm unable to do anything, can't move and can't open the menu. It's literally a freeze; I don't use the term for no reason. :D At least I already won the prizes, which can be bought anyway as a last resort. Like I said, I'll keep this problem in mind when more people (re-)join my party.

Edit: While I'm at it: On the floating island (Tal'varoth) I can't leave the Relic Shop or the savior's room (at least the cutscene transports the player out of the latter one, but reentering later still gets the player stuck). I don't know if this is another one of those "things would work if you could leave and reenter the map" issues or a general problem. Speaking of which:

@kenlan: Try to leave and reenter the map (if possible), otherwise reload a save where you aren't on the map that contains the issue (preferably after shutting down and restarting the game). Sometimes doing this already helps when you can't interact with an NPC, a treasure chest or a door (map transfer point).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Darn, I just reached the end of the ruins, and kenlan was right: I can't interact with Lena, no matter what I do. :(

7. Chazareth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fixed. It was another issue with regions and events on ceiling tiles.

Fixed... ummm.... I have absolutely no idea what was causing it, though. When you told me the game froze, I knew it must have been a switch that was causing an event to run over and over and getting stuck, thus not allowing you to move or open the menu. I started messing around with various switches and just randomly stumbled upon one specific switch that, for whatever reason, caused the freeze.

This particular switch is used in the tower at the end of the first part of the game to open a door, so I have no idea how or why this switch is having influence on a completely different map, which has no events that use the switch. So for now, the transfer events to the slime wrangling field include a command to turn this switch off, which should solve the problem. I also changed the event in the tower, so that the door is opened via a plugin command manipulating the door event's self switch. Thus, the switch causing this problem is no longer in use.

8. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Thanks, both issues have been resolved. I was able to talk to Lena, and entering the slime wrangling map on Isla Skalda doesn't freeze the game anymore. It's very interesting (and worrying) what you had to do in order to determine the latter issue's cause - as if the game developed a life of its own. :D

The other issues I mentioned have been fixed as well (freedom of movement in arena and on Tal'varoth). Thanks again, you've just saved my evening. :)

9. dnel57

dnel57 dnel57 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you are going to do the Trials for Phoebe, save before you start it. You either have to finish it all or go back to previous save. Don't save while you are doing it unless you intend to finish it no matter what.

10. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I just discovered a fun way to cheat during the arena's survival gauntlet. While the normal escape command is disabled, it's still possible to use the Flee skill. Since you can't flee your way directly to the final fight, though, here's what to do:

- Use the Flee skill during the first three battles.
    - Win the 4th battle (3x Octopus or 2x Octopus, 1x Yeti) normally, otherwise you'll be looped back to the 1st battle.
    - Use the Flee skill during the 5th and 6th battle (choose "regular battle" for the 5th battle or you can't use the Flee skill).
    - Win the 7th battle (1x Adamanturtle or 3x Apis) normally, otherwise you'll be looped back to the 5th battle.
    - Use the Flee skill during the 8th and 9th battle (to increase the odds of survival and to be able to heal for the final fight, choose "regular battle" once again for the 9th battle).
    - Win the 10th (last) battle normally, otherwise you'll be looped back to the 8th battle. Since the last foe is susceptible to gravity magic, bring Lena for an easy win (well, you'll still have to fight as if your life depended on it). Look forward to receiving around 4000 arena points.

Even though it's technically cheating, I recommend doing it this way as long as you still can, because it really eases the burden on the player if (s)he can skip the 9th battle against Tyrant. I'm sure Chazareth will patch this opportunity out rather sooner than later. :D

11. Chazareth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You know what? I'm comfortable with leaving it in. It's oversight on my part that leads to an exploit (or technical cheating if you call it that), but some of the best games ever made have similar exploits. So maybe I'll just leave it as is, unless there's strong opposition to that. Besides, Tyrant may be a doozy of a fight, especially with the handicap, but the other two bosses you could potentially face on the 9th battle aren't so bad.

12. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Yeah, I get what you mean. Take Final Fantasy VI, for example (your game obviously draws inspiration from it): It was released in the (allegedly) bug-free pre online patch age, but now that it's almost 25 years old, players have glitched the hell out of it, which is part of its charm today. :)

By the way, I had farmed Cactaurs for a few hours and then I hit the level cap (60) even before going to Utopius. :D

13. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I can't enter the maintenance hatch in Utopius, no matter how often I restart the game or reload my save file or leave/reenter the map. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

14. Chazareth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fixed. Comment tag missing from the event. Again.

15. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Thanks for the quick fix.

Right now I'm inside the Crimson Hand's hideout. After activating the blue bottom switch, I get stuck when trying to go through the now open door in order to reach the gray treasure chest (which probably contains another key needed to complete this dungeon).

16. Chazareth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Fixed. More region jazz that I overlooked.

17. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Thanks again for the fix, and thanks in general for this wonderful game. I've just reached the ending (hopefully without missing any side quests etc.); the game was really everything I had hoped for in terms of story, battles, dungeon design, side quests and exploration incentives, especially during part 2 (Tazewell Mansion and Mantodea, for example, were among my favorites). The final dungeon was superb, although a bit difficult, which is why I'm afraid it might discourage some players from finishing the game (in particular those who don't acquire Hammer Knife and/or Miw Charm). It took me almost six Final Fantasies (hours) to complete. ;)

If you're still up to fixing things, here are some suggestions concerning (potential) (minor) bugs and continuity errors.

- Does using the defend command really reduce incoming damage?

- Remedies (which are supposed to remove all status ailments) don't work against Stop, Slow and Curse unlike Phoebe's skill Cleanse (might or might not be intentional, since it's possible that Remedy+ cures Stop, Slow and Curse).

- Ribbon (which is supposed to prevent all status ailments) doesn't prevent Death (might or might not be intentional, since Death is often times considered a separate category on its own).

- Mage Gauntlet/X-Magic: If the equipped party member doesn't have enough MP for casting the selected spell two times in a row, the selected spell will be cast a second time nonetheless without consuming any MP (might or might not be intentional).

- The two non-moving NPCs at the Acre ruins say that Dravax has entered the ruins, even when the player hasn't talked to Barth yet (which is what triggers Dravax entering the ruins). Also, the left NPC's dialogue doesn't change in part 2 of the game.

- Prison: Nothing happens at the end of the route "Do you get lonely?" > "Maybe you should take a break" > "Let me out", the guard doesn't even return to his post.

- Arondight: The Ether in the house in the upper left corner (pot) can be obtained an indefinite number of times.

- Mountains north of Arondight, summit (map containing two bridges): The map lacks obstruction mapping everywhere; the player can access (and walk in) the air from anywhere. The same applies to the first map when descending from the summit to the eastern side.

- Northwold: The inn and item shop signs on the building (outside) are interchanged.

- Northwold, inn: The female NPC still talks about "the creepy guy in the corner" even after Xelltath has already joined the party.

- Ice Castle: When returning from the second room to the first room, the second room can't be entered again unless the players leaves the castle and reenters it.

- Pyramid, floor below the boss floor: The Serum in the upper left corner (pot) can be obtained an indefinite number of times.

- Pyramid, hole leading to the Sanctum + dungeon in Holy Forest, hole leading to the last Sanctum: When the player is prompted to jump down the hole and chooses "No", the prompt won't appear again in both cases (game-breaking).

- Pyramid: I wonder how the people in the camp know about the closed door inside the pyramid (Sanctum), when they shouldn't be able to reach said door without beating the pyramid's boss. Dravax was able to bypass the boss easily, too. It seems only the player has to abide by the rules. On the other hand, I know it's nearly impossible to avoid the "How the hell did they get here before us?" trope in JRPGs.

- Colossus doesn't have a northern entrance on the world map, so if the player takes Colossus's northern exit and then walks south (before triggering the cutscene north of Colossus on the world map), (s)he will enter Colossus from the south.

- Tazewell Mansion, 2FL East Stairwell and West Stairwell: Walking from the stairs, the player can "descend into darkness" (walk into the wall).

- The Psychopath enemy encountered in the woods leading to the last Sanctum doesn't spend MP when casting spells (might or might not be intentional). Could be a general problem or could be nothing; I've never understood how/when enemies can use TP like the player when it comes to VX ACE and MV games.

- On the way to the last Sanctum, first "minecart" (floating stone) section: If the player enters the map, then leaves (to the south) and enters it again, the first "minecart" won't be there (game-breaking), which also means the player can't return here later to grab any treasures (s)he has missed. This bug has already been posted by dnel57 and kenlan, but since it was still there in the version I had played, I included it in my bug list.

- On the way to the last Sanctum, "minecart" sections: The player can leave the white platforms (in all dungeon rooms) to walk in the air.

- When being able to control the ship freely and talking to Barth below deck for the first time: One of his dialogue panels mistakenly labels him as Xelltath.

- Switching from ship to world map by interacting with the steering wheel from the left side (instead of from above) gets the player stranded without a ship and unable to move (game-breaking). Previously reported by dnel57, still present in the version I played.

- Isla Skalda, first map: The Phoenix Down in the pot can be obtained an indefinite number of times.

- Tower of Mantorok: As it has been previously reported, the player can walk in the air on the pillar jump map and also on the boss map (might have been fixed already).

- Both airships' movements aren't smooth, as if every motion was shown several times instead of once. Furthermore, the airships tend to turn invisible (temporarily) when flying over certain world map tiles.

- I don't understand why most shops don't sell tents anymore during part 2 of the game (with the exception of Tal'reshar's item shop, Delphina's item shop, Valkyrion's vending machine, the final dungeon vendor and Acre's docks' item shop, the latter one being the only item shop without an "upgraded" inventory during part 2).

- Desert camp (part 2): The Hi-Ether (pot in uppermost tent) can be obtained an indefinite number of times.

- Floating island (Tal'varoth) (part 2): The player can walk in the air going left or right from the airship's landing stage (stairs).

- Floating Island (Tal'varoth) (part 2): Two of the NPCs on the upper plateau (dark-skinned woman on the left side, little girl on the right side) move weird (as if they float rather than walk).

- Floating island (Tal'varoth) (part 2), after the savior has been awakened: When returning to the savior's room, the savior can be seen lying on the floor.

- Ruins in desert camp, first map (part 2): If the player descends the rope on the right side (which is the only accessible one when first entering the map from the south) and then returns right away, (s)he will come up at the left side (on the plateau) instead of the right side. Which means: This rope on the inside map in the upper left corner suffers from wrong transfer coordinates.

- Tal'reshar (part 2): The NPC outside the synthesis shop can't be talked to (she's "transparent" and can be walked through).

- Mantodea (part 2): The inn building lacks an inn sign.

- Ocean floor, on some of the non-cave maps (part 2): Walking on the map's right edge changes the color composition of the map's left edge.

- Valkyrion, right upper floor after activating the engine (part 2): Lena's sprite can be seen in the upper right corner (bathroom).

- Delphina, Capital Tower (part 2): When returning to the administrator's office on the second floor (at least after obtaining the Valkyrion), all party members' sprites except for Garrett's can be seen on the screen's left edge.

- When docking the Valkyrion at the Ocean Temple (part 2), the Valkyrion occupies the wrong cave (it should be the lower one instead of the upper one). The Orichalcum Fragment can be obtained (when missed the first time) regardless of which cave is occupied later, but when the upper cave is occupied, the player can't access the Ocean Temple island on the world map anymore, which is the best/only place to farm Infernal Essences (before encountering Horrors in the final dungeon) in order to craft Infernal Stones (while Zombie Dragons can be fought during the arena's survival gauntlet and Infernal Stones can be bought at the arena, it's a real waste of time and arena points).

- Utopius, maintenance hatch (part 2): There are several opportunities for the player to walk in the air on the first map and in the library.

- Arena (part 2): Defeating Tormentor during the survival gauntlet's ninth battle nets the party its drop (Cursed Ring), which lets the player synthesize more Rings of Varda (might or might not be intentional).

- Summit of the mountain north of Northwold (part 2): When returning here after completing the respective side quest, Kaldreth's sprite can be seen standing there (can't be interacted with).

Thanks again for a great game. To all players who enjoy(ed) classic old-school JRPGs like Final Fantasy VI, I urge you to check this game out.

Chazareth likes this.
  18. Chazareth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank YOU for playing, I'm stoked that even one person like it. I fixed most of the issues you listed above, except for two that have been brought up before and I can't seem to fix. The game has a Version History file that lists known bugs, so I added those in the hopes that it will help players avoid them while I work on finding the problem.

19. Euphoniac

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I'm sure you'll find solutions to these issues someday, and all players that refrain from playing in unexpected ways will be safe anyway. :D

While cleaning up my playthrough notes, I thought that maybe other players could make use of my (hopefully complete) synthesis list of materials. Some needed materials that can't be obtained from monsters must be bought (using money) at the synthesis shop in Tal'reshar. Certain materials like Magic Powder, Arcane Dust and the Stones (Infernal, Mind, Power) can be bought (using arena points) at the arena, but the purchase of one-time-only arena shop items should be prioritized (and especially Magic Powders, as you can see below, can practically be found anywhere). Speaking of the arena, many of the monsters listed below can also be encountered here during the survival gauntlet. Furthermore, there's a synthesis shop in the final dungeon that sells the rarer steal/drop items of monsters, but it can only be unlocked by finding a secret passage and then beating an optional boss. While everything else in Tal'reshar's synthesis catalog is only "nice to have", I recommend to synthesize the available armors as soon as possible. One Ring of Arcana (doubles item drop rate) is useful to get 100% guaranteed Eternal Essence drops from Ancient Dragons, but you'll find at least one Ring of Arcana anyway over the course of your journey. When it comes to the decision between Hourglass (doubled EXP) and Wisdom Charm (doubled JP), both of which must be used to craft each other, I recommend the latter one, since you'll probably reach the level cap (60) anyway. Finally, you'll also have to make use of synthesis if you want to craft the two (upgraded) versions of Keiji's ultimate weapon.

Synthesis list of materials:

- Arcane Dust:
    1. Arthropod's steal item, encounter on world map near Tazewell and Acre
    2. Octopus's steal item, encounter on world map near Northwold
    3. Tormentor's steal item, encounter in Mantolok's Lair

- Arcane Shard: Arcane Sprite's drop item, encounter on world map in desert region

- Cactaur Thorn: Cactaur's steal item, encounter on world map in desert region. Cactaurs almost always flee on their first turn, so your stealer has to be fast enough. Furthermore, killing a Cactaur is worth 15000 EXP and 60 JP - strong multi-hit attacks like Garrett's Shadow Dance limit skill or Keiji's Retsu skill are the best way to dispose of them, for all other attacks are likely to miss, and late-game the Hammer Knife, if you manage to obtain it, is the best method to use.

- Dragon Scale: Ancient Dragon's steal item, encounter on world map on island in northwest corner - forest tiles around Mantodea

- Eternal Essence:
    1. Ancient Dragon's drop item, encounter on world map on island in northwest corner - forest tiles around Mantodea
    2. Zombie Dragon's drop item, encounter on world map near Delphina and on Ocean Temple island (cannot be reached from the world map, only via Ocean Temple)
    3. Nyarlothotep's drop item, encounter in Mantolok's Lair, final area

- Greater Mystic Essence: Dimensional Worm's steal item, encounter in Mantolok's Lair

- Infernal Essence:
    1. Zombie Dragon's steal item, encounter on world map near Delphina and on Ocean Temple island (cannot be reached from the world map, only via Ocean Temple)
    2. Horror's steal item, encounter in Mantolok's Lair

- Magic Powder:
    1. Acerodon Bat's drop item, encounter in Lava cavern north of Arkala on southwestern part of world map
    2. Sacred's drop item, encounter on world map near Tazewell and Acre
    3. Haunter's steal item, encounter in Celestial Ruins in Acre's Royal Palace
    4. Radscorpion's steal item, encounter on world map in desert region
    5. Wicker Bee's drop item, encounter on world map - forest tiles - near Tal'reshar
    6. Yeti's drop item, encounter on world map near Northwold
    7. Avian's steal item, encounter on world map in Delphina region
    8. Darkmantle's drop item, encounter on ocean floor
    9. Terminator's steal item, encounter in Utopius
    10. Apis's steal item, encounter in Mantodea's water hole
    11. Crimson Hand's steal item, encounter in Crimson Hand's headquarters
    12. Snapper's steal item, encounter in pirate cave
    13. Swarmer's steal item, encounter in Mantolok's Lair

- Melange: Sand Worm's steal item, encounter on world map in desert region

- Mind Essence:
    1. Octopus's drop item, encounter on world map near Northwold
    2. Nyarlothotep's steal item, encounter in Mantolok's Lair, final area

- Phoenix Ash:
    1. Genbu's drop item, encounter on world map on island in northwest corner - forest tiles around Mantodea
    2. Adamanturtle's steal item, encounter in pirate cave

- Power Essence:
    1. T-Rex's steal item, encounter on world map - forest tiles - near Tal'reshar
    2. Death Lord's steal item, encounter in Mantolok's Lair, final area

- Ryozan Silk: Argiope's steal item, encounter in ruins reachable via the camp in the desert

Feel free to add anything I might have missed, and have fun synthesizing. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  20. Chazareth

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I finally found out what was causing this issue. To make the transition between the world map and the deck of the ship, the player is being transferred to a small in-between map with an event that makes them get on or off the ship (this happens while the screen is faded out, so the player doesn't actually see any of this happen). When accessing the wheel from the left side, the player is transferred to the map where they get on the ship, but they are unable to do so because they are facing to the right, and the ship spawns below them.

The wheel is now only accessible while standing in front of it (from the top) by using a conditional branch to check the player's facing: if they are facing right (meaning they are standing to the left of the wheel), nothing will happen.