RMVXA Centauri

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Ceiphyr, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Ceiphyr

Ceiphyr Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    CENTAURI (v1.8)

06/13/19 - v1.8 final update - good luck !

Synopsis
    Centauri is a platformer game of five short levels. There is an optional tutorial to learn all the required mechanics to master every level. Basically you can run and you can jump over a small distance while avoiding enemies and collecting gems. From the custom menu you can reset your current screen if you get stuck.

This game is hard. You will die instantly when touching enemies, spikes etc. and you will be teleported back to the start of the screen you died on. The game offers two secret levels in each level and two additional challenges after completing each level - "speedrun" and "one-life":

In "speedrun" mode you must go to the level exit before the timer runs out. In "one-life" mode you have to complete the whole level without dying or else you will be teleported back to the very start of that level. You can only move in the four basic directions, and there is no pixel movement so be careful when approching difficult screens.

There are different timers, one for game time and one for level time which you can always improve in your playthrough. They will only run while you are playing a level so you can take a break on the world map before trying to get a new speedrun record. This game also offers a lot of achievements for collecting different gems, going really fast and even dying a lot (or not dying once). Furthermore you can upgrade your rank based on your overall stats - Try to get an A-Rank!

Your progress will save automatically whenever you quit the game or return to the world map during a playthrough. There are two savefiles available and you can only delete a file while it is loaded. The game will always show your current stats when quitting to avoid an unwanted loss of a file.

So if you like a short but challenging game and are a fan of platformers in general and/or you like to hunt for achievements, collectibles, speedruns etc. you (hopefully) will have a little fun with Centauri.

Screenshots
    World Map
    [​IMG]

Desert Level Screen
    [​IMG]

Game Stats
    [​IMG]

Known Bugs
    • you can sometimes move through an enemy
    • time related achievements are not awarded immediatly after finishing the game
    • burning animation (HUD) sometimes stays visible when exiting lava in level 5

Download

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Tw0Face likes this.
  2. Tw0Face

Tw0Face Chief Executive Officer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Finally another non-RPG made on RPG Maker. You don't see them too often.

Quite well designed game. I appreciate the idea. The tutorial stage seems to cover everything you need to know for playing. I made it until Stage 3 and it's a fun game so far. I'll continue later that day. I'm looking for some inspiration and this comes quite in handy.

The hidden stages aren't that hidden but I like how they are much harder to complete.

Which script did you use for making the HUD? I kinda like the HUD fading in and out by just pressing a button.

Sometimes I feel like the SHIFT-jump, especially if I try to jump over an enemy, doesn't work quite well. Sometimes I feel like the jump is simply ignored causing me to run immediately into the enemy instead. You could check on that, but maybe it's just me and I lack the ability of jumping over an enemy in a proper way.

Somewhere In the first stage, it was a hidden stage as well, there was a switch that, when pressed, prevented me from progressing. Not sure about this; kinda like a trap option or was it a bug?

I also like how the game doesn't punish the player too much for dying. When you die, you don't have to start all over and you don't lose all your former collected gems. That makes the game quite non-frustrating.

Good job!

Greetings,
    Tw0Face

3. Ceiphyr

Ceiphyr Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you for playing !

I don't really like the jump option as well (that's why I disabled it in later stages), but I wanted to try it out and realized kinda too late that there is no good option to make it work with all those moving events, collision and so on. I know for sure that my next game won't have jump ability.

The HUD is more like a fake HUD lol. I used Yanfly Gab Window to make it work and just resized everything and put timer to something like 9999 seconds before the message fades out, so it pretty much will always be visible. Same concept for all the windows on the map.

Also that lever is indeed a trap :)

Thanks for your compliment and feedback, I appreciate !

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Tw0Face likes this.
  4. Tw0Face

Tw0Face Chief Executive Officer Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

I did it! :mrsatan:

The game keeps telling me I did quite bad, but I had much fun with this little game. :D It was hard, but fair. Hope you'll make more games like this.

I had this feeling like that boulders in Level 5 have always hit me a bit too early. That said, it was a bit laggy sometimes when there were many moving events on a map causing me to have a harder time finishing this stages. Did you make the collision using x- and y-coordinates of character and boulder or by using touch/collision event? Maybe this issue can be tweaked, but I think it's because of how RPG Maker engine handles events in motion. Maybe pixel movement would solve this, but I'm not sure about this.
    Nah, I liked it so far. It was just a bit inaccurate though, but I got used to it.

Greetings,
    Tw0Face

Ceiphyr likes this.
  5. eluukkanen

eluukkanen Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    oh neat, I really like rpg maker platformers! Perspecive from top down can have some interesting levels

6. Ceiphyr

Ceiphyr Warper Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Good job! It's nice to see some casual stats for once. I forget that people don't have the knowledge of your own game.

Yes I used x/y method and an additional one frame hit timer (maybe I should do 2 frames then). Pixel Movement completely destroys the game at this point. Trust me, I tried :guffaw:. My next game has pixel movement.

EDIT: Actually I just realized I used the 1 frame invincibility window only in jump levels. I will fix this. Thank you for pointing out!

EDIT2: v1.5.3 now online. This will make collision a bit smoother (and the game easier I guess.)

Yes, it's quite a challenge with this engine but a lot of fun ! :)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019