Chain Game II - Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Deckiller, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Well, the Link in A Link to the Past gets mugged 4 times.

ANYWAYS, back on topic... If we do a sequel, lets not start out with the dungeon items from the first game, we didn't even use them much more than the dungeons we got them in. besides the last dungeon item.

Though Zippo, Eric Shoes, and Dancer's Feather could've been fun to play around with in the overworld.
    The bottled spirit made sense because it wouldn't work anywhere else unless we could turn NPC houses upside down... 8D

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2013
  2. emirpoen

emirpoen Community Nightmare Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If you're thinking direct sequel, maybe make new items that are at the very least, remixed or improved items from game 1?

3. Espon

Espon Lazy Creator Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really wanted to reuse the bottled spirit again if I had a chance to make another chaper, but I was too busy.  The puzzles in the dungeon were designed to be easy, so I was hoping to make some that were a tad more difficult the next time.  Turning any building upside down would of been awesome though.  There would be so many secrets you could hide.  Kinda reminds me of Super Paper Mario where taking a different perspective can reveal hidden things.

valkill101 likes this.
  4. Xoltox

Xoltox Ehmm... what? Veteran

First Language:
    Hindi
    Should we have a stricter framework/rules for content? (For example, "each dungeon should have a special item", or "there should be a new character in each chapter.")

Neah, framework should not be strict just a little bit of limits should be kept to balance stuff

Should we be very strict about time limits? How should we handle instances where someone has to take a long period of time? Perhaps we should pass it on to a backup and ask the user to use their work in a later chapter, once they are free again?

We can decide like that every contributor can only make his/her chapter of max. ??? length...

How should we handle battles/gameplay? DBS, ABS, no battles at all? More exploration? Zelda-style dungeons again? Linear vs. non-linear?

Let the chapters decide that! Some chapters will be based on DBS, ABS other on Zelda style some on more exploration and like that bla bla...

Should the story be a direct sequel to the first chain game? If not, what kind of story would you like to see? Should we have a collection quest again to give the chain game some sort of objective and framework?

For the story i have a funny idea, every member who is willing to contribute will post 1 paragraph story then the other and finally after a certain paragraph we'll have a very funny and interesting story like -

Firen - Ralph is arrested by the empire.... bla bla...

Deckkiller - Eric comes and kills the jail guards and helps ralph to break out!.... bla bla...\

??? - They are most wanted in the empire....

??? - They run and fight, scavenge....

??? - They do a good job and are now good guys again...

??? - Meteor crashes on Eric! lol...

??? - The world is at end a big evil guy is going to....

??? - The bad guy slips and falls from his ship and dies! lol

??? - However his soul takes over Ralph !....

??? - Ernest rises to defeat Ralph....

??? - They both die fighting in the end...

And so on...

5. Lustermx

Lustermx Veteran Veteran

Should we have a stricter framework/rules for content?

Yes, but not to the extend of having a 'Zelda item' or having a new character. It should be more general things, such as at least 30 minutes of gameplay - this can be through things like mini-games and side quests, but preferably a push on the storyline. Each person should make an effort to understand the storyline of the previous chapters and build on from it. Any clear indication of someone not having played the previous chapters should be rejected from having their chapter in.

Should we be very strict about time limits?

Yes, but not so much; a week limit should be the rule.
    I think 7 days is plenty. Anyone who goes over the limit should have their chapter rejected.

How should we handle battles/gameplay?

The next chain game should have set theme and each person should follow try to follow that theme as carefully as possible. If the theme states 'No battles', then adding battles can strictly be forbidden.

Should the story be a direct sequel to the first chain game?

No, but I agree on having cameo appearances from the first game!

6. astigz23

astigz23 Novice Mapper Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Should we have a stricter framework/rules for content?

Yes! I recommend the for being a one-sided for framework and rules, so that it would not confuse the players.

Should we be very strict about time limits?

It should not be. Some people on this forum have a conflict in Time Zones, Just like me. Many people are active when I'm asleep.

How should we handle battles/gameplay?

Well, battles should not be common. We should focus on the story, adventure, and other game mechanics, like puzzles.

Should the story be a direct sequel to the first chain game?

No, but place the story in the same timeline with the first one.

7. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    We are talking about a time span of roughly a week, so I doubt that what time zone you live in would effect that. We also don't want anyone hogging the game for to long.

I'm not forcing you to change your opinion, but as someone who worked on the first game, I know what it's like to wait too long.

8. astigz23

astigz23 Novice Mapper Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Well, maybe you're right. My timezone is advance, so maybe it would not affect it at all. It's just my opinion anyway.

9. Deckiller

Deckiller Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hmm...we could do multiple scenarios that converge at the end. Sort of like Suikoden III.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
  10. Espon

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You know... it might be kind of interesting if everyone worked on a different chapter at once and were each assigned a set of variables, switches, maps, etc. that they can only use then put it all together and create the final chapters.

JJK_42 likes this.
  11. Espon

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The players would be able to choose the order that they play through the chapters.

Edit: Oh my god... I mindlessly double-posted.  I'm a horrible person.  ;_;

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2013
  12. Robin

Robin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    As long as people can ask for the game at the right time, so that they get the game in their possession, time zones are not an issue. You'll get the game for a few days, and you'll have enough time, no matter what time zone you are in.

13. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

We also should have a sign-up period and then assign when is their turn beforehand. It also helps those who have signed-up to make enough time to do it.

Let's say 15 happens to sign-up, now that would be an one lengthy game.

14. emirpoen

emirpoen Community Nightmare Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Are you suggesting a chain story on top of the chain game? Also, wouldn't it be too restrictive if the author of the paragraph didn't also get to work on their part of the game? Perhaps a story and portion of game swap may appeal to some people, but I'm not sure how big of a hit that'd be.

15. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I like the idea, but how can we keep order into the story? Maybe have the first chapter we start out with a hub town in the middle of the world map (like Majora's Mask) and you go to the areas around it in any order you want? That could work that way.

16. Espon

First Language:
    Gibberish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A hub town wouldn't really work because then many conflicting issues would come up as people add their own things to the town.  The chapters in Live-A-Live was split into various time periods and there was only one key element that all chapters shared.

A evil being known as Odio who takes on a different form in each chapter.
    Some of the chapters played vastly different than others, for example in the ninja chapter you had to try to assassinate (or try not to) as many people as you could, and the sci-fi chapter was kind of like a horror/mystery with almost no battles.

What we could do is something similar where each chapter is meant to be completely separate on its own with only one connecting element that must be included.

17. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Interesting, that could work out. Now I understand what you are talking about, I thought you meant a similar chain game like the first except that all at once. But different time periods with one thing in common would work out

18. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

It would be basically some kind of cross promotion even if it is not said out loud. What I like about Chain Game concept in it's current form is that stuff is interconnected. Previous chapters can potentially be a huge impact how the story plays out. Some fiction has futuristic societies who do not share their technology to outsiders and rest of the world most advanced weapon for their fighters is a sword so you can still have a wide variety of themes.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2013
  19. Xoltox

Xoltox Ehmm... what? Veteran

First Language:
    Hindi
    Yeah you're right but I just suggested that, it could be changed to perfection and then it definitely would be fun!  The only restriction would be that the next chapter's maker will need to link his/her chapter from the old one just a bit in the beginning.

20. Shadow of the Wind

Shadow of the Wind Indubitably a person who puts words into sentences Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello, Completely new to RPG maker.

Played all the way through the first Chain Game and had a blast.

Puzzles and story were a huge part of the success for me. Many of the items I had gotten early were kept on till the later chapters. When I did change items it was usually from borrowing from recently acquired champions who had unique items already on them. The items felt more like a style choice more so than a requirement. Liked how enemies could be avoided by just running by them in puzzle dungeons. Thanks for great game :)

Guess my idea contribution is that the items made in last game were fun and simple and don't need to be complicated; Especially, since the focus seems to be more toward puzzles and special items.

valkill101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.