Chain Game II - Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Deckiller, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C-C-C-Cashmere

C-C-C-Cashmere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think a wiki is much more professional and easier-to-reference than Google Docs. Google Docs may get messy, whereas a wiki is clean and easier to use. I'd definitely spend time organizing the wiki.

Is it possible to organize a real-time conversation discussing the game? I'd like to do, say, a Skype meeting, or meeting via IRC. These are the dates I am available PST[GMT-7] timezone: Sun-Fri 3pm-6am, Sat 11pm-6am. Most of those hours I'm free, sometimes I'm not though. Or we could just have an IRC channel where we meet, and discuss with whoever's there.

Deckiller likes this.
  2. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I like the wiki, maybe I could work on a logo for it.

How about for a meeting, we have livestream with Dec working on the project, okay, that was a joke.

Edit: Added the logo to the wiki. Hope I didn't need permission to do that...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
    Deckiller likes this.
  3. valkill101

valkill101 Alien Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The wiki will be a great help, just wish I knew how to go about adding things into it in the future since I've never worked on a wiki before. Will we be going on a first come first serve basis with who goes next on each completed chapter like the first chain game?

4. Deckiller

Deckiller Phoenix Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As far as a real-time meeting goes...it would have to be a meeting about hammering down the loose framework and not coming up with specific arcs or anything. We don't want to create a situation where a few of us come up with a lot of ideas and expectations for the entire game, because then the chain will lose its organic flow and some users may feel that they're being forced into a box. I think it's cool that we want to make items more involved, keep the puzzle focus, and have a four-chapter prologue, but we should also be as flexible as we can and avoid setting up too much in early chapters. (I set up a whole bunch of systems and secret areas in another chain game and it just set the barrier to entry way too high.) I'm not even thinking about the story as I make the first chapter, except with one idea in mind: four messengers are going to bring four heroes from four areas back to the hub town to meet the king for an assignment, and my chapter will cover one of those heroes.

I really want to make sure that the game invites creativity without having to follow a very specific script. A couple chain games I've been involved in have failed because a few users (myself included) devised and ran with a few ideas, making it a little too exclusive. There was a really high barrier to entry for those games. I'd like to avoid making that mistake again while still having a chain game of good quality. We can always go back and fine-tune things and smooth the edges if necessary, by making areas accessible by using a certain item or key...or just fixing continuity/balance issues (especially since there won't be a RSW looming, haha.) With that said, though, we definitely have a lot to get 'on paper' (rules, the first four chapters and their format, a loose gameplay/battle structure, the wiki, etc.) Feel free to add me on skype (my username should be obvious haha). I'm always on skype unless I'm entertaining at home or at my day job.

Edit: who wants to go after me? I'm thinking we can do a "modified first come first serve basis", where we have someone in line and then a backup in case they can't do it.

Edit 2: For IRC, how about #radiantchain on SynIRC? I'm in that channel. We can use it throughout this project perhaps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  5. valkill101

First Language:
    English
    I'd like to keep track on how this all goes, so I'd rather go fifth or six so that I can get a feel for it like with the first chain.

Deckiller likes this.
  6. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    I'll go after you. I'm a bit nervous, but it can't be too bad, right?

Seacliff, valkill101 and Deckiller like this.
  7. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Nah, I did only a decent job on the first game, and most of that was typos, un-fixed glitches, and bad mapping (don't worry, I've gotten better since then). But don't be like Clord and keep the game for two hours (I know he didn't know how long to keep the game and I'm thankful for that to give an example). Just keep these lessons in mind and you can't do worse than okay.

8. Deckiller

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    First area's done:

[​IMG]

Lustermx and valkill101 like this.
  9. Cartridge

Cartridge It's all about the guns, man Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    So, mister Deckiller, this looks all awesome and such, but where can we 'sign up' for the chain game? or am I missing something?

10. C-C-C-Cashmere

First Language:
    English
    I think what happens is you just download the latest version, edit it, and then upload it with the stuff you've added. That's the essence of it being a chain game. The base game hasn't been completed yet, but it will be soon so you get to creating straight away. The equivalent of signing up is basically stating in this thread that you're interested.

11. valkill101

First Language:
    English
    Holy bananas Deckiller, that map looks sweet! Can't wait till I get a crack at this when it eventually comes to me.

12. Deckiller

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, I'll be making a blog page once the first chapter is near completion and we hammer out any lingering things.

13. Cartridge

First Language:
    Dutch
    I see. I'm looking forward to this!

14. astigz23

astigz23 Novice Mapper Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Why not? This may seem be helpful for the creators in creating the chapters. Instead of playing throughout the game to know what's going, they could check the wiki.

I will vote for that.

Oh, and why not both? If the wiki is down, they could check the docs...

15. Lustermx

Lustermx Veteran Veteran

I'd prefer it if you could make a thread and pin it in the Project Development sub-forum or something. I personally think it'd gain more popularity that way.

16. astigz23

astigz23 Novice Mapper Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    That would work too.

17. Lustermx

Lustermx Veteran Veteran

Well, in any case, the first map looks really good! I'm getting really excited for this now.

The first map/chapter usually kicks off people into wanting to put forward their ideas. I suppose it's also quite hard to kick off the first chapter in the first place, so hats off to you Deckiller.

(And I'm assuming Richard is the main character, maybe?)

18. postnjam

postnjam procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Can't wait to get involved and make a chapter, never did get to claim in time. Eyes peeled for a place.

19. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Considering there is even more interest for this chain game, I suggest that people who were part of the first chain game should wait for those who hadn't gone yet, just to be fair.

Epic map by the way.

Cartridge and valkill101 like this.
  20. Cartridge

First Language:
    Dutch
    I'm with this. New round, new contributors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.