Chain Reaction [BETA 1.3]

Discussion in 'RPG Maker Birthday Bash!' started by Rikifive, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Rikifive

Rikifive Bringer of Happiness Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    CHAIN REACTION

BETA 1.3 VERSION

<<< INTRODUCTION >>>
    Explode near other blocks to break them into particles, that can break other blocks creating a chain reaction!
    The 
    longer the chain will be, the higher the score multiplier.

Get as much points as you can and share your scores with everybody!

<<< FEATURES >>>
    > Unique gameplay! (as for RM)

> Custom fresh-looking menus!
    > Simple mechanics

> RAINBOWS! ~ Colorful Flashes and stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

<<< SCREENSHOTS >>>

Spoiler

< MAIN MENU >

[​IMG]

< OPTIONS MENU >

[​IMG]

<<< LEVEL SELECT MENU >>>

[​IMG]

<<< DETAILS & INSTRUCTIONS >>>

[​IMG]

< GAMEPLAY >
    [​IMG]

<<< PAUSE MENU >>>

[​IMG]

<<< RESULTS! >>>

[​IMG]

<<< CREDITS >>>
    - Created using RPG Maker VX Ace -

Created by: Rikifive

Scripting: Rikifive

'-> 'Text Cache' by Mithran

'-> Developer Tool: "Data Backup" by Hime

Graphics: Rikifive

Music: Rissquette

EliteFerrex

Sound Effects: Rikifive

Enterbrain

<<< DOWNLOAD >>>
    ► Download Chain Reaction BETA (Version made in 6 hours, posted before the deadline ~ I'm leaving it here to not cheat* and stuff)

► Download Chain Reaction BETA 1.3 (Updated Version ~ I guess it's after the deadline ~ so whatever is considered for the event ~ the 'legit' version is above)

* - to not update silently and pretend, that nothing happened

<<< OTHER INFORMATION >>>
    [ Arrow ] keys to move
    [ Z ] or [ SPACE ] to 'blow' yourself

[ X ] or [ ESC ] to pause

[TIP] You can move around while falling down when re-spawning to avoid falling on a block and instantly dying
    - At the current stage there are not many features, however I plan to add more energy to it ~ bosses ~ bonuses ~ levels with different mechanics etc..

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2016
  2. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is a fun little game, it's got an almost zen quality to it (except when you get insta-killed because you spawn next to a square! Ghhh!). It reminds me a to a ps2 game where you had to make fireworks explode.

Neat entry, man. If I had one nitpick is that  while I didn't feel it overstayed its welcome,maybe it goes on a little too long, as in you have too many tries. But that's just my opinion. Take it for what's its worth.

Screenshot of my second attempt, once I knew what I was doing. I ran out of time though :p

[​IMG]

Rikifive likes this.
  3. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thank you! (~ That's why you have some time to move before falling down to the party. =P)

~ What do you exactly mean? ~ Don't get me wrong though, I just can't seem to understand. =P

4. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do I mean by what? The nitpick? I just meant that maybe you had too many lives, but I didn't feel bored with it, so it's just an impression I got.

Rikifive likes this.
  5. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Nirwanda Ooh I see now ~ yeah ~ that's because there aren't many features at the moment, but I plan to make it 'progressing' along with the gameplay ~ bonuses, perhaps bosses and stuff. =P

Nirwanda likes this.
  6. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is impressive for 6 hours of work.  There's not a lot to it, unsurprisingly, but it seemed to work correctly.  I did two quick plays of it, and was going to complain that sometimes I'd land on a square and die right after respawning but during the second play-through I realized you can control where the green orb lands (a little mention of that would have helped).  Adding more features will make this a lot more replayable.  I did have a small problem though: it's in full-screen mode and there doesn't seem to be a way to get it into windowed mode.  I'm not a fan of playing rpg maker games full-screen, so it bothered me a bit.  Still, the fact that you finished a functioning game that quickly is impressive, so congrats.  :)

Rikifive likes this.
  7. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    The 'deadline' things seems to be helpful, because they're forcing me to work, not procrastinate. =P

~ Yes, yes ~ there are some silly mistakes there, due to lack of time and haste, but now I'm working on the details and more features, that hopefully will make that game better.

'How to Play' thingie will be added in future ~ because I plan to add some features (like bonuses and bosses), that may be kinda problematic to discover by yourself~

Uh ~ many people seems to complain about the forced fullscreen in my games ~ I don't like the windowed mode, because it looks kind of silly and non-professional (I'm using it only for quick tests, but playing any game normally has to be in fullscreen for me ~ It's like playing a console game on windowed mode on TV =P), but if that really is an issue, then I can add an option to change the mode in game. (Also at the moment you can change the mode using the default shortcut (ALT+ENTER) because I hadn't disabled that)

~ Of course it's not like I'm judging anyone or something, don't get me wrong. ^^

I'm actually kinda surprised by myself, that I've managed to craft something in time. =P

Thank you very much! ~ and thank you for your input! (=

8. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    <<< UPDATE >>>

Game has been updated to version BETA 1.1.

< Changelog >

Added Main Menu - because I don't like 'menu-less' games, that are just throwing the gameplay at you ~ I've decided to make one. =3

[​IMG]

Added Version Number in the Title Screen - formalities / it will come in handy

Fixed Layering Error - player's orb is now 'above' the blocks when spawning ~ there are still some little issues to fix (like hitboxes)

I'm leaving the first 'Entry' version in case if the update was after the deadline etc..

9. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi there, Rikifive! I had a quick play of your game, which for some reason was taking me a long time to download. I'm afraid I ended up playing your pre-deadline version, because I didn't come across anything like an option for arcade and challenge mod.

It also looks like hiddenone covered most of my points! I am not a fan of games instantly going full-screen. Even if you might not like it in windowed mode, the point is that the player might at least like to have a choice about it. (For instance, playing your game during office hours ;)  )

Anyway the first thing I saw was a black screen where these things were coming at me, and I didn't even know I could hit Enter and cause a chain reaction due to the lack of instructions in the game. There was also no option in the version I played to exit.

Once I figured it out after a confusing first game - I thought this was like Undertale where I just had to avoid getting touched ;)  I restarted and accidentally hit Enter. Then the game exploded for me, literally. I had fun! My longest chain was 116, and my final score was 283,292. 

Fun game overall, and congrats on finishing :)  Apologies for not being of much help. 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
    Rikifive likes this.
  10. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Hello! ~ Yup, the pre-deadline version is just a bunch of instantly popping-out confusing stuff. ~the Arcade Mode etc. aren't available at the moment anyway ~ I've just 'reserved' the space in the menu with it, since I'll be working on them.

Oh that's a good point there ~ I hadn't thought about that to be honest ~ Okay, okay, you got me ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ ) ~ you both are right with this, I'll add options menu, where you'll be able to change the mode and perhaps something more in future. ~ Thanks for pointing that out!

I know it's all terrible D: ~ And you have the rights to complain about everything =P ~ I didn't have time for implementing these details (instructions etc.) ~ I was working so fast, due to deadline + the fact that I had to go to sleep, because I had to wake up very early for the job. =P I'll be organizing better the game and of course, add the pause menu to be able to rage-quit it. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

I can tell, that the arcade mode will contain various levels with other mechanics ~ 'avoiding getting touched' will be one of them. =3

~ + there will be bosses, where you'll have to hit them with particles ~ the higher the chain will be, the more damage boss will receive. ^^

I'm Glad you had fun! ~ At the moment everything has poor quality, but that's good it's at least kinda playable. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

Thank you very much! (=

~And thank you for your input! ~ No worries, you've helped more than enough! (=

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Alkorri likes this.
  11. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is the first game I actually wanted to try out and when I start the game...

Auto-full-screen mode ---> Flickering screen ---> Eyes killed within 3 seconds ---> ALT+F4.

dayum, I really wanted to try this out, sounds like a fun time-killer game, and it is not the typical game type on RPG Maker. 

I suggest you put in Zeus' Fullscreen++ script. That is known to fix these flickering issues on full-screen.

And of course, like the others already wrote, option to play it in windowed mode.

Rikifive likes this.
  12. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Aw I see ~ Actually I'm going to blame this on the RM itself. I don't think it's 'Powerful enough for a developer' when the very basic options are acting weird + having many limits. - The issue you had was the very default RM's feature - a simple simulation of ALT + ENTER shortcut at the start.

I tried the script you have suggested, but it was not working well for me ~ there were black borders that I don't like.

Anyway, the issue should be fixed in the update.

Thanks for reporting that.

<<< UPDATE >>>

Game has been updated to version BETA 1.2.

< Changelog >

Added possibility to play in windowed mode - this mode is now selected by default

Added Options Menu - added an option to switch between display modes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sixth likes this.
  13. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I agree, it is not your fault for sure, it happens with the default full-screen mode, triggered by a script or by the player (with ALT+ENTER), it happens either way.

But only with certain hardware (or maybe with certain OS), my old laptop didn't have that issue, but my new one can't play any RM games with the default full-screen mode, unfortunately.

Thanks for the update, gonna check it out now!

Edit:

Okay, after trying it out, here is my review:

While this game is certainly limited in features right now, the concept is great, and certainly unique to this engine.

I rarely play games like this, only when I wait for someone maybe.

The game filled my expectation of being a "dayum, I can do better, lets try it again!" or "okay, just one more time!" type of game. 

Seriously, I don't know why, but I just want to blow that little green bugger up some more times. :D

The title screen is another great thing. I don't like plain and simple menus nowadays, and your title screen is surely not in that category.

As a menu designer myself, I gotta say, good work on this! I love the effects, the flashing in the back, not too bright, not too frequent, and colorful, it looks great.

The music used fits the game too. But I like the title music more, the other one is too "disco" style for me. :p

All in all, I am eagerly awaiting the updates you plan to do. This can be made an interesting game if designed well.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    Rikifive likes this.
  14. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    As far as I like RM and working with it ~ sometimes it's just makes me sad by how limited or poorly optimized it is. =/

~One thing here, second thing there and it may be enough to cause lags or even worse things. ~Not mentioning the silly limits like Input etc. ~ thankfully there are solutions, but still some limits in this engine are funny.

No wonder why the game's scripts are written in a pretty simple way ~ no fancy things like animations and stuff, but just everything static and simple ~ adding something more may be destructive for weaker PC's. ... And it's funny in general, that I can play 3D games and stuff like this on high settings with a good performance, where I'm having lags in RM lel. "Simple enough for a child" - That's where I agree.

Okay ~ I didn't mean to rant on anything and complain all over the place. =P ~ That's what I get for forcing stuff on players I guess. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No problem ~sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you very much! My main objective is always to make games as unique-looking as possible and I'm kinda using RM to cheat, because it's pretty easy to make something uncommon in here. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~ And I just like to design something by myself, than using pre-made stuff ~ even if that would be terrible.

I'm actually kinda surprised ~ I'm glad that worked for you despite the low quality and lack of features! :D

I'm very happy, that you liked the title screen! I was pretty randomly throwing stuff at this hoping it will work. =P It's not very detailed and stuff but I enjoyed working on it. =3

There's also one thing I wanted to do with the music ~ to make it 'work' with the gameplay ~ for example the little flashes in the backgrounds fitting the beats or simply different gameplay (its speed etc.) depending on the calmer moments of the theme etc. but this will just not work in RM, because it doesn't have frame skip - if it lags, then everything will go off + I'd love to know how to stop the BGM when the game is out of focus (e.g. minimalizing). =/  ~ A small thingie, but it would make everything 'cooler'. ^^

Thank you very much for your input and thank you for helping me with my silly scripting problems back then! ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
  15. Rikifive

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    <<< UPDATE >>>
    Game has been updated to version BETA 1.3.

< Changelog >

< Menus >

Added Level Select Menu - Now levels have their space prepared =3

Spoiler

[​IMG]

Added Level Details - clicking [SHIFT] button in the Level Select Menu will show more information about the level & gameplay.

Spoiler

[​IMG]

~Silly, I know. ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ )

< Gameplay >

Added Pause Menu - You can now pause the game and even 'Rage Quit' from there!

'-> there is a slight delay between being able to pause after unpausing the game to prevent the player from spamming with it to simulate the 'slow-motion' thus making the gameplay slightly easier

Spoiler

[​IMG]

Added Results Screen - Instead of silly 'Game Over' there is a nicely made results screen and additional score bonuses, that are coming with it.

'-> You can press and hold [Z] button to hasten it.

Spoiler

[​IMG]

Improved Hitbox Detection - Player's Orb, blocks and particles have more accurate hitbox.

Added Max Chain Count - It shows the longest chain of the current try.

'-> the longer the max chain will be, the higher score multiplier bonus in the results will be.

Added High Scores and Max Chains - they're displayed on the Level Select Screen.

Added Autosave Feature - Your scores are saved after each round ~ when getting to the Title Screen.

Added Flashing when breaking blocks - When a block is destroyed, a simple light white flash will happen

Increased Time available on the 'Beta Level' from 150 to 180

Slightly lowered the speed of the block particles

Slightly lowered the distance, that the block particles can travel

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016