Chaining or Comboing Skills by Button Input During Battle

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by GreenBanana, Nov 15, 2018.

1. GreenBanana

GreenBanana Active Chain and Combo Input Skills plugin Veteran

Active Chain and Combo Input Skills plugin
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If this script already exists, then I don't know what terminology it's being identified by in order to search for it. Otherwise, I've been striving to convert two importantly and inexplicably neglected VX Ace scripts into MV plugins, but as learning Ruby and JavaScript is not as easy for me as it is for other people, it's been slow going. These two scripts bear functionality which are extremely similar in fashion.

Chaining Skills
    In this context, chaining skills refers to creating a skill which can allow the user to instantly use another skill on his or her turn in battle, selecting from multiple available choices. This is based upon the YEARepo script, Active Chain Skills.

In battle, the user selects a skill which has been given a note tag referencing other skill IDs to which it can be chained (and these in turn can be chained to still more skills). When he or she uses this skill during battle, a prompt comes up for multiple learned chain-able skills and their corresponding buttons. When one of these buttons is pressed, its corresponding skill is used as soon as the present skill finishes playing out. It's actually much simpler than it sounds in practice.

For example, a grapple skill could be chained to one of various throws.

Combo Skills
    In this context, combo-ing skills refers to creating a skill which can allow the user to input a string of buttons while using a skill on his or her turn in battle which will unleash a prompted series of other skills from multiple available choices, which the possibility of certain combinations activating a finisher. This is based upon the YEARepo script, Input Combo Skills.

In battle, the user selects a skill which has been given a note tag referencing other skill IDs which can form a combination of skills. While the skill is playing out, the player presses whatever combination of buttons corresponding to a prompt of multiple learned skills to play out that series of (traditionally five) skills one after another. As a bonus, a specific combination can be set to activate a finishing move at the end of the sequence. It's actually much simpler than it sounds in practice.

For example, a series of karate moves could be combo-ed together in quick succession.

Since I'm not the best at explanations, I recommend that people try the two VX Ace scripts found at the links cited above to develop a clearer understanding of this game play mechanic.

2. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bump.

3. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You can use my QTE plugin to do both, but more easily of the second type.
    What you'd have to do is create a skill that creates a free QTE and then use the try sequence function.
    If your player knew Kick (DownUp) Punch (UpLeft) and Chop (DownUpLeft), using try sequence when they enter the sequence DownUpLeft would cause them to cast Kick Punch and Chop in succession.
    You can use the addon window to show the available possibilities too.

Having only certain skills available for some attacks will rely on having the actors know all the spells but locking the skill types not needed using states in the action initiating the QTE.

4. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This methodology sounds a bit un-intuitive for this purpose. Sorry, but thank you.

5. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I'm interested in what you find unintiutive.
    I mean to make my example above work, it'd basically be:
    Creating the skills and giving them sequences. (as simple as <qteSeq:["up","left"]>)
    Creating the combo starter skill, use an action sequence on it to trigger the qte and cast the appropriate skills.
    It'd look like this:
    Code:
    <setup action>
    eval: $gameMap.QTE(["free",3,"cancel"],300,[],true)
    eval: $gameMap.trySequence(user,target)
    break action
    </setup action>

And that's it, it works.

Anyway, I'm just trying to help you achieve what you want to do. If you don't feel like answering that, don't there'll be no hard feelings. And I certainly gain nothing by having you actually use my plugin so if you find it unwieldy I completely understand you ruling it out.
    I don't know of any other plugin that can do that. It's been 2 years since I created mine and all other requests of that kind have been unanswered, so I'm not too hopeful.
    Then again, last time I said something like that, 2 others plugins came out a week later. Let's hope it works this time too!

Aloe Guvner likes this.
  6. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    At the risk of venturing off-topic by only pursuing this one plugin rather than any and all which may fit the prerogative of the request:

In a testing environment, the castSequence function provides more along the lines of what one would expect from combo skills: A trigger skill which branches off into specific skills which can be invoked in any order of the player's choosing.

In a real world example, which involves a plethora of different plugins from different sources, the QTEwindow plugin has some strange reactions based upon its position in the plugin list. At the bottom (just above its Skill Possibilities Window plugin), it seems to only allow comboing to a skill that is as many entries below itself in the database as is set in the maximum input length. Elsewhere (but still below Yanfly's Action Sequences 1 plugin), it may only work once and then confuse the battle order.

In either case, I've been unsuccessful in utilizing the Skill Possibilities Window, which never seems to show up. I'm also uncertain as to the utility of only allowing the actorID rather than the user of the trigger skill, since multiple actors can be assigned the same skills. It also would seem to be incompatible with the castSequence function, as its help text indicates it only works based on the qteSeq length of all skills in an actor's repertoire.

7. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You're right, let's not derail this thread further, sorry.
    I've answered in the spoiler below about the issues you're having. I suggest you PM me if you want to resolve them with me.

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried and have been unable to reproduce your issues. That's using the whole yanfly's suite of plugins and my plugin, placing it at the very bottom. Specifically, I've tried setting the combo starter to skill 15 and have had no issue comboing with skills in the hundreds with a length of 3. Are you sure your actor has learned all the skills?
    In the same way, the SPW window is working just fine.
    [​IMG]

My combo starter action sequence is:
    Code:
    <setup action>
    eval: $gameMap.createSPW(user._actorId,5,1)
    eval: $gameMap.QTE(["free",2,"cancel"],300,[],true)
    eval: $gameMap.trySequence(user,$gameTroop.members()[0])
    eval: $gameMap.removeSPW()
    break action
    </setup action>

Screenshot of skill setup just to show you it combos just fine with skills below sequence length:
    [​IMG]
    Anyway that means we can rule out errors within my plugin. Which leaves you not using it properly, or a compatibility issue.

As you can see in the first screenshot I've been using it to create movement in rows on a grid and combo actions for a fighting game based prototype of mine. So I know it works.

8. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It seems the QTEwindow plugin is incompatible with Yanfly's abandoned child STB plugin of the Battle Core. Unfortunately, I'm looking for a chain and combo skill plugin that won't be dependent upon turn order, and exists solely within a character's present action. Thank you for your assistance, though.

I'd also need a display of the skills chainable to their initiator, so the player knows what their options are for chaining, although the castSequence and castSandSM functions are nearly what the purview of this plugin are seeking.

9. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Ah yes, STB is notoriously bad with forced actions, which is part of why in my opinion it was discontinued.
    Truth to be told, there is no other way than forcing actions to make combo skills, so you might be out of luck unless someone specifically makes one that's compatible with yanfly's stb.

If you check, the display of the spw is indeed tied to the casting actor in my example, using the user._actorId script call :)

10. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is there a method, then, to make it only display the pertinent actions to a castSequence or castSandSM combo starter skill?

11. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well, the way that doesn't require any scripting is having your combo starter skill lock out all skills that aren't pertinent to your castSequence action array.

If you don't do it like that there currently is no way to do that.
    It wouldn't be that hard to add that functionality to the SPW though, as long as you provide the action array before beginning the QTE.
    Would that be satisfactory? You'd have to add a script call to restrict the SPW to an array of skills before showing it.

GreenBanana likes this.
  12. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sounds like it could work as a band-aid, and I'm guessing removing "break action" could allow the initial skill to still play.

I still invite anyone to provide alternative plugins for the same function, though. A collaborative workshop's more conducive to development and education.

13. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A further trouble has come up with the one suggested script thus far: When removing STB and CTB Yanfly battle systems and returning the battle core to the original DTB, enemies will stop getting turns after a QTE skill has been used.

14. Astfgl66

Astfgl66 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Well, this has never happened in my projects. In fact testing it right now, QTE skills don't prevent enemies from getting turns. I'd add that there is no way my plugin would do that, because all the plugin does is force actions, which is a default behaviour of the engine, and doesn't mess with the turn order.
    I'd check if other things are preventing your enemies from taking turns.
    If all else fails, feel free to send me a pm with the exact way, step by step, to reproduce your bug.

15. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bump.

16. Tome571

Tome571 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  17. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  18. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  19. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your game looks pretty interesting, and it's clear a lot of effort went into it (although the English text might benefit from some proofreading). Unfortunately, it appears as though you're using @SumRndmDde's abandoned Timed Attack scripts which, while neat, aren't the same thing as the skill chains and skill combos available from @Yanfly back on VX Ace which allow players to pick and choose skills to chain together on the fly while a skill plays out. Sorry.

20. GreenBanana

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Bump for community benefit.