Change actor's equippible items.

Aquin25

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a set feature where a character is supposed to be able to equip new types of armor that they couldn't before. I can't find a setting to change the "what's equipable" feature in the events, so I was wondering if anyone's found a workaround for this?

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
switching to duplicates of the classes that have the new armor type included.

adding states that allow the new armor types, keeping in mind that by default states will be removed from "recover all" events so either need those events checking if should readd the states again (if switch on...) or not using "recover all" in events and instead using series of change HP/MP/state ect... all separately.
or just using plugins that can bypass recover all removal of those specific states, like yanfly's buff/state core.

or equip requirement plugins that just require switch to be on to equip armor when the armor's type is still the same type as all the other armors. (ie. can already wear "heavy armor type" but this specific piece of heavy armor cant wear until the switch is on)

Aquin25

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The idea is... there is a way for the character to take an action that would expand what they can wear.

In each of the 3 armor types (As in like... hat, body armor and accessories for an example)... the protag's equips are very limited, but the other party members can equip all of them.

Said action would allow the protag to wear these armor pieces as well... but which ones can happen in any order depending on the players actions.

Any recommendations on how I'd go about accomplishing that with your suggestions?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yanfly's Equip Restrictions allows you to allow or restrict equipping on a per item basis via a switch. So when the protagonist takes whatever specific action, you set the switch in an event and they can now equip whatever item you wish.

Aquin25

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Good call.

Looking at the addon though... it seems I can restrict gear so that it acts via a switch. Is there a way to limit the restriction to a specific party member though?
From the looks of things, the switch prevents it from being equipped by anyone until it's flipped. (My intention is that from the beginning, all party members except our protag can wear it. They can unlock that option down the line)

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for that a state would be better.
gear type available to others from the beginning but only available for the protag when the state gives him the gear type.
can use buff/state core plugin so the state ignores "recover all" removal.

the non plugin options around the recover all issue i had already mentioned earlier when i gave 3 different possible work arounds.

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Note that by default adding state 1, the death state, also removes all other states. I'd recommend a plugin that implements either:
  • ...persistent states, so the state remains on death, e.g.

• ...or conditional passive states, so the state is active only when a switch is on (or something), e.g.
Note that by default, states without an icon will not be visible to the player.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So yes, for your situation the switch requirement isn't ideal.

I think your two best bets (about equally complex) are: to use Tiamat-86's idea of a state that grants the armor type proficiency. You would, as caethyril pointed out, have to use a plugin to keep the state on the actors at all times.

Or, using Yanfly's Equip Restrict, it does allow you to use a skill, so you can make an "armor proficiency" or whatever skill whose usage scope is never, so the player will never see it in any skill lists. The characters you want to use the armor right away will start with the appropriate skill, and you'll grant it to the player character in the event he learns it.

Note that the plugin specifies it won't work if the skill is granted via the trait box in the actor or class, so you'll need to give it to the actors via event command in-game.

So either way you're creating some entries in your database (states or skills) and using a plugin (the Equip Restrict or a permanent/passive state).

Aquin25

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So... looking over the suggestions. Here's what I'm going with.

I installed the passive state plugin. That way, I can have it basically set up that. "Oh, all other party members can equip this type of armor. The protag cannot" from the beginning.

The state will allow the protag to equip the armor once activated via a switch.

(Edit: Forgive my noob status, but the plugin instructions in my opinion are being a bit obtuse. It states how to properly add the note for the conditions, but not how to tie them to which state. Can I get a bit of help one last time)

Last edited:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for the passive states route you would have <Passive State: X> notetag on the actor with X being the ID of the state that allows the new equipment,
and would have <Passive Condition: Switch X ON> notetag on the state with X being the switch ID that unlocks them being able to use the equipment. the state will have the armor type in its traits section.

the equipment itself would just be a armor type that the other actor have available from their default traits but the protag only gets that armor type from the state's traits. nothing is needed in the armor's notetags.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The notetags are in the skill.

To use this method, you need to do this:
1 - Have your piece of armor that is its own Armor Type (or in whatever grouping you want to bestow).
2 - Make a state, in its traits add one that gives Equip Armor of that type.
3 - Make a skill, in its note section give it the tag <Passive State: number-of-state-from-2>
4 - Give that skill to the main character when you want him to be able to equip it. The other actors or their classes can just have the equip skill in their traits to begin with.

Edit: Tiamat's method will work the same. The only difference is activating the ability to equip via changing a switch or granting a skill, both of which are a simple event command. Whichever way you want to organize it works.

Last edited:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
linking the passive state to a skill is just a different method instead of using a switch.
in that method the state doesnt need a passive condition but would also want (not entirly required though) a plugin that can hide the skill. if had different state and skill for medium/heavy/legendary then would always have these 3 skills showing but grey'd out and can get very annoying to always see those in battle.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if had different state and skill for medium/heavy/legendary then would always have these 3 skills showing but grey'd out and can get very annoying to always see those in battle.
No - if you set Skill Type to none, it won't show up anywhere. (you can also do Occasion: never, but if it's not in a skill category owned by the actor/class, they'll never see it)

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Reading your original posts it reminded a lot about the classic games class systems.

You can create different classes for your character and change their parameters, so you change his/her class through the game course based on the player actions.

Class change, if I recall well is in the first page of the event commands, on the right side. ;)

Also, it's also possible to create two or more classes with the "same name" but different parameters. You know what's happening behind the scenes, but the players feel will be that his/her actions in-game only added that feature and nothing more.

Aquin25

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In the end... I implemented the state. Seems to work just fine.

Set it up so that the switch activates the passive state, and it seems to be working out exactly as intended.
Thanks for the help, everyone.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

How would you judge a game you played? Art/Graphics? Story? Gameplay?
Learn MV sales goal = 2%
NSFW game sales goal = 2500% (no jokes) :guffaw:
After gathering, sorting out & reconsidering hundreds of enemy battlers over the last two das, finally my favorite part begins: Inventing names and lore for them all :D
I'm running a sale for Learn RPG Maker MV on Itch.io, can I compete with NSFW games earning goals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuteoreo