Change Actor's name on battle?

Hyraga

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Greetings. My question is practically what the title says. I'm creating a story where one character meets another, but doesn't know their name yet, so this new character appears with "???" in her text messages. The problem is that when starting a fight, her actor's name appears below, revealing her name ahead of time. Is there a way to modify the name during combat without creating a copy of the actor with the modified name? (I know that could be an option, but if there is a way of having to use multiple events for subsequent fights, it would be helpful.)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
have the actor use ??? as the name in the database from the beginning, and keep that until the name is revealed. and in the event that reveals the actor name just use the change actor name event command.

this way has the adventage that you can still use the menu and text codes for actor name and everything else until the moment you rename the actor, and then it will be automatically coirrected everywhere.

Hyraga

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry for my ignorance, but does the "rename character" command allow the player to give it a proper name?
My idea is that the character already has a predefined name, not that one can be chosen.

Look, I put an image of the point where I have the problem:

Captura de pantalla (178).pngCaptura de pantalla (179).pngCaptura de pantalla (180).png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but does the "rename character" command allow the player to give it a proper name?
no, the player CANNOT chose a name for change name.
you're mixing this up with "name input processing" where the player can set the name, but for "change name" it's the developer that decides on the name.

I understood what you want perfectly the first time, and that one will work like I specified.

Hyraga

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Man, I'm so Fking blind. I never saw that command.

It's like, although there are not many commands in the events, I keep ignoring them.

Thanks man, that solve my problem.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there may not be many event commands, but those that are there are extremely powerfull (like control variable) and/or specifically designed for all the usual ideas in RPG games...

Hyraga

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yes, I agree.
I don't know how to program scripts, but I understand a bit how they work, how the program reads each line in order.

And the event system that this program has is quite complete to be something that basically you only select options.
Obviously it does not have the same power as making a manual script, but it is very complete and you can make a whole game with it.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I honestly did not see that button, I had only seen the other that allowed the player to change the name, and I confused your information with that.

I'm going to create a new topic now with another question that came up now, sorry for being so annoying.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm moving on from RMXP finally. I've been stuck in a difficult decision between XP and MZ, and I've given up and moved on to MZ. Overall I'm really liking it, I wish tilesets were easier to setup like XP, but it's actually not that bad!
Have you ever gone full 'Ship of Theseus' while frankenspriting? Because I just did.
I saw my new eye doctor today, he reminds me of Satoru Iwata for some reason
I've been using a modified version of a script called Multiple Messages. It makes my text boxes look like a Mario & Luigi game! There is something about it that bothers me a little bit, but I shouldn't worry about that now.

Side note, Mist's walking animation is almost perfectly in sync with Loose Yourself by Eminem.
Starting work on some stuff for the community. Hopefully it will be fun, and useful to somebody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smudge