Change angles of diagonal movement

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by ashikai, Feb 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    (I guess this is less a request and more of a "is this possible"? but if it's possible I'd like to request it~)
    The title makes this sound kinda weird and I guess it is.... but uh here goes.

Right now pressing two arrow keys to make the player move diagonally makes the player move at a 45° angle. Isometric tiles are made to follow 26.6° which... is a pretty huge difference. I've got an isometric game in the works, and walking down hallways is a bit of a challenge since if you try to walk diagonally you run into the wall a lot.

What I'd like is to be able to change the angle of the diagonal direction from 45° to 26.6° for the player (and for diagonal movements in events). Is this something anyone would like to try tackling? (Or heck, is it even possible to do in MV?)

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The main problem here is the grid - all events and the player need to be positioned inside the grid by default, and move from one grid position to another.
    And the diagonal position of the next grid position is 45°, going half that degree would place the actor between the grid, halfway on one and another tile.

So basically this will require you to disable the grid first - usually by going to a pixel movement system. And those have their own limitations and compatibility problems that need to be adressed befor you can mess with the move directions.
    I suggest searching for a pixel movement plugin first, selecting one you can work with, and giving a link for this request as a modification to that pixel movement plugin - that should be the fastest way to a solution.

3. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
  4. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Seemed kinda silly to make a new thread, so I hope it's ok I'm bumping this one.

I'm still looking for a way to change the diagonal angle degree for movement from 45° to 26.6°. Same plugin used, still not sure if this is possible. Happy to commission the script if needed. :)

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Left and right makes the player move one tile diagonally. If you're changing the angle, they would end up halfway between tiles. They would have to move two tiles in one direction, and one tile in another, to end up fully on a tile again. I think this would be pretty difficult, as you're not only changing player movement, but collision logic with the player and events as well.

If you want to commission, you should probably report the thread and ask for it to be moved to Classifieds - Requests.

6. ashikai

ashikai Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz okiedokie. I'll make a commission request and see if anyone's up for the challenge. :D

(thread can be closed)

7. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

Closed at OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.