pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I execute Change Class, saving level, my actor doesn't learn the 1st level skill of the new class. Is this expected behavior?

EDIT: In fact the general behavior seems to be that skills are gained during level, based on your class, and never lost.

Last edited:

Sullien

Dev Candidate
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
It is.

When you change class, skills previously acquired are kept, while new ones aren't gained until level-ups.

If you wish to change skills as well you can remove the specific skills from an actor and grant them the skills they would have gained on their new class instead.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would that also remove a skill gained from some other method than leveling in a class? It seems like it would.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Would that also remove a skill gained from some other method than leveling in a class?
Not if you do it right. We're not talking about switching an option in MV, here, you'd have to code it in. So you can make your code account for skills the character currently knows that aren't on their class list.
Of course, if you're changing class more than once, you won't be able to continue keeping track of that as easily, so it gets complicated.

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think what I could do is save the level as a variable, change class, learn the level 1 skills, and then level the character up. Then I could remove the old skills. For more than one class change, I guess I would need to flag each time a character learned another skill...
Fortunately, none of this really affects my project that much. I'll just change how I was going to implement a few things. It was just surprising behavior. I guess I thought the skills by level were templated somehow, not that you just learned the skill when you leveled.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I just finished Variables I lesson! Urrah! I'll be publishing it soon. :smile:
Hopefully brighten your Monday.
SwordSkill wrote on alice_gristle's profile.
Hey, wanna give my project a try? I promise it will be easy.
Seeker Clones.png
Work on the Decepticon Seeker sprites is taking longer than I anticipated. I have five down: Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp, Acid Storm and Nova Storm. Three left to go: Ion Storm, Sunstorm (needs rework), and Slipstream. After completing their walking sprites, should I wait to post them after I've done a transformation sequence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Klaus_LP1