change class doesnt change traits

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Blair Pendragon, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Blair Pendragon

Blair Pendragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I gave my class the regen trait, and when i switched to a new class, they still retained regen.
    so to combat this, i made them start as a different class, that doesnt have regen.
    Once they change to the class with the regen trait, the regen doesnt actually carry over.
    Thats when I realized none of the traits carry over.
    Is there a simple fix for this? or do i need to start getting scripts?

Bonus Question, Attack speed trait doesnt seem to change with the class either. Speed on actions seems to effect turn order, but as a base trait bonus it has 0 effect on turn order, i can have a character with 1000 speed, and one with -1000 speed, and they will still go in a 50-50 turn order, as long as their AGI is the same. How does this trait work? Is it not updating to the new class either? or am I just not understanding how this trait works?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    One thread, one question. Otherwise things get too confusing. Though I don't actually see a question being asked in the "bonus question" paragraph.

How are you changing classes? Is this the default class system, or are you using a plugin to add extra functionality (like subclasses)?

3. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    @Shaz
    No scripts, just using the default event change class.
    I just noticed dual wield, and the trait to have a certain class of magic did transfer, but the regen didnt, so now im assuming its just the regen (possibly the speed trait)
    I edited my post to clarify the question, as I forgot to ask it at the end.
    But while its another question, the reason I thought it was related, is because its also not carrying over, OR i just dont understand how attack speed trait works, so i also asked, just to make sure its not lumped in with the problem im having with regen, as it might not be.

EDIT: starting new files, and having the same character change class, roughly 50% of the time, regen passes on, and 50% of the time, regen doesnt.
    Seems to be random, with nothing different happening in the event, or other events (lack of other events really)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. DrinkableTrees

DrinkableTrees Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are you also applying the traits to the actor outside of the class traits? I had run into the problem before where I had allowed a Cleric to use Bows aswell as the actor that was the cleric. I later removed this but she retained the ability. I ended up finding that the actor still had the trait applied allowing them to make use of bows. Perhaps your class is successfully switching but you simply have the Speed and Regen trait also applied on the actor (with the exception of your dual wield trait).

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you later removed it but she retained the ability, it's probably because you were loading games that you'd saved when she DID have the ability. Actor details from the database get saved to the save file, so the only time they're loaded from the database is when you're starting a new game. Making changes to the actor tab won't have any effect when you're resuming a saved game, as the actor data is loaded from the save file rather than the database - unless that actor hadn't joined your party yet.

DrinkableTrees likes this.
  6. Blair Pendragon

First Language:
    English
    Well, I've found the reason for the issue.

I had set the regen for 10% of max (wish I had the option to set an exact number)
    and before I put on my equipment, their HP is 9.
    so the times i tested it with equipment (being above 10hp and w/o, is what was causing them to have regen sometimes, but not other times.

7. Zarsla

Zarsla Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English