aaronjmcd2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi,

I'd like a switch to be flipped at some point during the game.  When the switch is activated it permanently changes the part of the end of battle text that says "37 experience received!" (or whatever number of experience) to "You stole 37 experience from the enemy!", or something like that.  How do I permanently change that text.  BTW, I'm a newb to all of this, so I might need it spelled out for me.  Thanks!  

Numieth

local demon appreciator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I think you could try the database, under "Terms". On the right side there's this big window with "Messages", among them one for "Obtain Exp". You could try changing that?

But maybe make a copy of the original message first. I haven't messed with that option myself yet, so this is just me guessing.

aaronjmcd2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think you could try the database, under "Terms". On the right side there's this big window with "Messages", among them one for "Obtain Exp". You could try changing that?

But maybe make a copy of the original message first. I haven't messed with that option myself yet, so this is just me guessing.
I'm glad I know about that now, but the question still remains as to how I change a term mid-game via a switch, or something?

tagg1080

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Here is one solution.

In rpg_manager.js there is:

BattleManager.displayVictoryMessage = function() { //My Custom message: $gameMessage.add($gameVariables[0]); //The default message:    $gameMessage.add(TextManager.victory.format($gameParty.name()));};Then at any point you can make an event that has a script that does:

$gameVariables[0] = "Testing End Message";And that seems to work fine.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You would need a plugin.

Moving to JS Plugin Requests

aaronjmcd2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here is one solution.

In rpg_manager.js there is:

BattleManager.displayVictoryMessage = function() { //My Custom message: $gameMessage.add($gameVariables[0]); //The default message:    $gameMessage.add(TextManager.victory.format($gameParty.name()));};Then at any point you can make an event that has a script that does:

$gameVariables[0] = "Testing End Message";And that seems to work fine.
Yeah, it looks great.  I don't know anything about code, what do you insert to maintain the experience points in the message--so I can still have a message that says, "You have taken 23 xp from the enemy."?

tagg1080

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
What I showed you, that new message is only in code and has nothing to do with the game's UI section Database->Terms->Messages.

You can always go into the database->terms-.Messages->"Obtain Exp" and change the default.

Or you can add your own, which is what I was showing you.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

A certain person better sell his stock while he still can, because it looks like it's going to take an unrecoverable nose dive.
7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyface3864