Change Event placed Above Characters passability?

KitteyWolf

FriendlyFur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey! So- as the title states, I'm wondering if there is a way to make an event, that gets drawn above the character, but that the player can't actually walk under?

I'm using character sprites that are taller then 1square, and I ran into an issue while I was setting up doorways. When they walk under the doorway their head sticks out above the next tile up.
Screenshot_2021-01-31 Imgur The magic of the Internet.png

What I'm hoping, is there is a way to make the above event-tile not passable, but still draw above the character.
but unable to be walked on. event-tile over body removed to show how the next tile up needs to be above character
Screenshot_2021-01-31 fRMgY4o png (PNG Image, 818 × 656 pixels).png

Edit: FIXED THE STUPID PICTURES ;3;

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you'll have to draw two tiles, exactly like you did with the doorway.

star passability means the tile gets drawn above, but for passability look to the tile below as star has no passability on its own.
so you draw the carpet as the floor in the doorway, and the wall for the tile above as normal.
and then cover both tiles with the star-tile top instead of only covering the doorway.

KitteyWolf

FriendlyFur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you'll have to draw two tiles, exactly like you did with the doorway.

star passability means the tile gets drawn above, but for passability look to the tile below as star has no passability on its own.
so you draw the carpet as the floor in the doorway, and the wall for the tile above as normal.
and then cover both tiles with the star-tile top instead of only covering the doorway.
I'm using EVENTS not tiles is the thing-
setup so i dont need to waste a tilesheet on having every wall type with different passabilities. and instead can just use events to get the same effect

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then it would be even easier to make it like that, just use a larger event covering both tiles.

events are not limited in size, only the editor cuts off at the grid because you need to be able to click on the tile above the event.
but if you make the event covering the doorway two tiles large as well, then it will cover up that part as well.

KitteyWolf

FriendlyFur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then it would be even easier to make it like that, just use a larger event covering both tiles.

events are not limited in size, only the editor cuts off at the grid because you need to be able to click on the tile above the event.
but if you make the event covering the doorway two tiles large as well, then it will cover up that part as well.
First of all-- I dont know how to make an event larger then 1 square.
And secondly- it seems like that means i'd need to put together a combo of every single different type of top ceiling block, since its not always just going to be a straight line up. sometimes it'll be a turn one way or another

i'm hoping for a possibly easier way to do it? but maybe there isnt a way...

Last edited:

GmOcean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So, you're using an event to act like a ceiling tile. And when the player steps on that tile, their head peaks through the tile above that right? So.. just put another event above that one?

KitteyWolf

FriendlyFur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, you're using an event to act like a ceiling tile. And when the player steps on that tile, their head peaks through the tile above that right? So.. just put another event above that one?
Thats what I'm DOING. but the issue is that they can then walk up through that event because it automatically lets you walk under it. making it so you walk up onto the upper parts of the walls.

this is what i'm trying to avoid.
example.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thats what I'm DOING. but the issue is that they can then walk up through that event because it automatically lets you walk under it. making it so you walk up onto the upper parts of the walls.
then you're doing it wrong, an event there should NOT override the block of the wall.

please show us what you're doing (the event code page), then we can tell you where you did that wrong.

KitteyWolf

FriendlyFur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then you're doing it wrong, an event there should NOT override the block of the wall.

please show us what you're doing (the event code page), then we can tell you where you did that wrong.
you say i'm doing it wrong... but all i've done is set the event to be above the characters... [which is what i need it to do to]
example.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and what is below that event? still the regular wall tile or what?
Because an event above has no passability, you need to set that passability on the tile below it.

EDIT:
I just realized that all your screenshots above are ingame screenshots, please show us the map in the editor as well.

Last edited:

GmOcean

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As Andar is saying.
You have 2 tiles like so:
[ 1 ] - Wall Tile
[ 2 ] - Floor Tile (Player steps here).
above both of those tiles you put the event. This makes it so the player can walk through Tile #2 but not Tile #1, while having their head covered.

KitteyWolf

FriendlyFur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
and what is below that event? still the regular wall tile or what?
Because an event above has no passability, you need to set that passability on the tile below it.

EDIT:
I just realized that all your screenshots above are ingame screenshots, please show us the map in the editor as well.
As Andar is saying.
You have 2 tiles like so:
[ 1 ] - Wall Tile
[ 2 ] - Floor Tile (Player steps here).
above both of those tiles you put the event. This makes it so the player can walk through Tile #2 but not Tile #1, while having their head covered.

Ok seriously... This is literally what I've done for literal years, and its always acted this way. I've just never had an issue with it until now because i was only using 1tile high sprites. and i could just set the above tile to 'same as players' so that a player couldnt walk up on the walls.

so i have no idea how i'm doing anything wrong.
its just
[1] top wall[ceiling] i've triple checked its set to X
[2] floor
example.png

KitteyWolf

FriendlyFur
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok seriously... This is literally what I've done for literal years, and its always acted this way. I've just never had an issue with it until now because i was only using 1tile high sprites. and i could just set the above tile to 'same as players' so that a player couldnt walk up on the walls.

its just
[2] floor
View attachment 177727
like it works just fine on the horizontal walls. i have no idea why i'm getting screwed over by vertical walls
[crap i meant to have this be an edit not a reply. whoops.]

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
its just
you're not exactly doing something wrong, you've just fallen foul of something intended to be used differently - and it took a view of your map as well as you mentioning the ceiling for me to finally understand what's going on.

Ceiling tiles are passable - intentionally, because that is to allow the simulation of a two-level-dungeon where the player can climb on a wall and walk on top of it.
That works due to a hard-coded directional passability on all ceiling tiles - you can check yourself that you can't set the directional passability for those ceiling tiles in the database. Part of that hardcoded passability is that you can always enter ceiling tiles from the bottom. Not from any other side, but always from the bottom.

Under normal circumstances that doesn't matter, because there should be two lines of the wall/side tiles below any ceiling tile as that would be the usual height of the wall - and if the wall had a ladder then you would be able to climb there up to walk on the ceiling.

in your specific use of the ceiling tile, that wall part is missing on those specific door openings, and that is why you can walk up there if you don't block that tile in any other way.

you'll need to use at least one regular wall at the top end of that wall opening to block the ceiling access, and then you need to cover that wall with either an event or a star tile to give the appearence of having a continuous ceiling.

There are a few other ways to get what you want as well, but they all need more work and/or tricks due to the hardcoded ceiling passability.

MikaTeapot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use yanfly region restrictions, pop your event down as usual with "above player" then place a "restricted to all" region on top. It's how I do mine.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's definitely discouraging when streamers give a try-to-say-it-nicely (i.e. bad) review of your game demo. It's like jumping into a cold pool. Bad initally, but it gets better with time. And you are now more alert and see better.
Some screenshots of the pub and lodging with the beginnings of clutter taking shape
TTp8uCw.png

jtC202e.png

bSXgyVl.png

eRx9PUF.png
Backgrounds are not my strong suit... :kaodes:
DazI8jt.jpg

Just realized I forgot doing the clouds... woops
Went to get some stuff for February 10, the birthday of my favorite ink monster...
I have a little one-person party for Bendy every year, complete with the life-size plushie I made. And yes, I bake a birthday cake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shepradatory