TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I'm looking for a script that will allow the player to change the party leader from the menu, so a different character can be seen walking around the map. It doesn't need to serve any mechanics-driven purpose, wouldn't change anything about combat--just so you can look at a different character for a while if you want to.

I encountered this system in Aveyond (Rhen's Quest) and I thought it was streamlined and elegant, and I liked being able to lead with different characters from time to time. How it works behind the scenes, I haven't the foggiest.

Right now, the only way I've been able to find to do this is using an entire party-changing script called by common event with an item in the inventory, which allows you to re-order the entire party (and the first character is the party lead, visible on the map.) It works, but it's clunky. I don't intend to have more than four characters, so I don't need a full-on reserve party/party changing feature.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• Aveyond_Menu_Party.png
    Aveyond_Menu_Party.png
    228.9 KB · Views: 6

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no need for a script - that is the purpose of the formation screen.

the formation screen let's the player change the party order.
the top actor is always the leader, the top four actors are the battle party and everyone from position five and lower is a reserve party member.

ovate

tale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
https://bluecoralgames.com/scripts.php

Found a script called "Large Party + Party Formation" for RPG Maker XP.

Edit: also "Party Formation" by itself

Without a formation command however you can press right key on the menu to change party order when you used this script.

Last edited:

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Andar, I'm sorry, I don't follow. Can you give me a more detailed breakdown, please? I've never encountered a command to bring up a formation screen. Is it in event processing, and I'm just not seeing it? Buried somewhere in the scripts?

Ovate, thank you! I'll take a deeper look, but it sounds a bit like it would end up giving me the same run-around I'm doing now.

AeroFunk80

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm looking for a script that will allow the player to change the party leader from the menu, so a different character can be seen walking around the map. It doesn't need to serve any mechanics-driven purpose, wouldn't change anything about combat--just so you can look at a different character for a while if you want to.

I encountered this system in Aveyond (Rhen's Quest) and I thought it was streamlined and elegant, and I liked being able to lead with different characters from time to time. How it works behind the scenes, I haven't the foggiest.

Right now, the only way I've been able to find to do this is using an entire party-changing script called by common event with an item in the inventory, which allows you to re-order the entire party (and the first character is the party lead, visible on the map.) It works, but it's clunky. I don't intend to have more than four characters, so I don't need a full-on reserve party/party changing feature.

Thanks for your time!
Do you have the "Formation" option selected under the System tab in the Database? You can do what you're requesting by checking that box. Then the formation option will appear on your menu screen. Not sure what it's set to by default.

1632175798967.png

*EDIT* Nevermind. Helps if I check with version you're asking about. I assumed it was MV :) Sorry.

Last edited:

ovate

tale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Andar's reply, probably refers to ace default menu command.
That's where formation was first implemented by default?

Script preview: whoever is top, seen as party leader on map.

partychange.gif

Last edited:

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Ah, did I post in the wrong forum? I thought this was the XP board, whoops. I don't have any tick boxes, no. That must be the where the miscommunication was.

Thanks, Ovate! The gif is a big help, that'll do exactly what I want--I couldn't visualize it. Now I just have to cross my fingers it'll play nice with Lambchop's Journal. I'll give it a try! Thank you!

Do you happen to know what Fomar's terms of use are? I don't see them mentioned anywhere in his HBGames thread.

Last edited:

TeiRaven

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Brilliant, thank you so much! It works perfectly, does exactly what I want and doesn't seem to argue with the other scripts I have. I'll add the terms to the script comments for my own reference down the line. Thank you again!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I just don't know why, but it's funny.
5.gif
Ugh. The one time I forget to save every hour or so is also the day my computer crashes. That's life!
Even though I spent 100's of dollars on my game already. I think I might just have to give it away for free. Since I haven't heard back from people if I could use some of their graphics. Even from a global mod here. Maybe I can make a donation thing.
you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sousou123232