change the save location script

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by Jomarcenter, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Jomarcenter

Jomarcenter jomarcenter-MJM Veteran

First Language:
    ENGLISH
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    can anyone make a script that allowed the program save the save data on outside of its default save location on the pc (like the user files) since windows vista/7 user will have problems saving the game if they are not administrator to their pc so that people can play that game even if they are an administrator or regular pc user.

2. mobychan

mobychan CodeMaster Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Even Windows Vista/7 users (without admin rights) are able to play the games, just tell them to extract it to another location (for example their Desktop/a folder there) and everything should work fine.

Or are you trying to use that strange installer again?

Stay away from it, you really don't need it, jomar

3. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Err, do you mean saving your game progress?

The default location is the same folder as the executable.

Your analysis of the situation is a little questionable.

UAC may cause problems, but I don't think I've ever seen UAC go nuts when you're trying to create a new save file.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  4. mobychan

mobychan CodeMaster Veteran

First Language:
    German
    On RMRK Jomar stated, that he wanted to use some program to create a "real" installer for his game, which would most likely install in program files or something, where a "normal" user may not be allowed to create new (save) files.

But I guess he shouldn't have a problem when saving in a folder that's not "protected" (a folder on the desktop for example)

5. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    He's using a crappy setup package then if it doesn't allow the user to manually specify their own installation path. Any decent setup creator should have that built-in.

He should go explore better alternatives like Inno Setup even if it requires you to learn their scripting language.

But for saving files in a custom location, Jet wrote something for that, but I think he put it directly into Application Data in your user folder, which is also kind of questionable.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
  6. Corlagon

Corlagon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Huh? Any decent program should work from the default location without requiring administrator priviledges. I'm surprised Enterbrain would still ignore a rule that has been in place for over ten years.