Change the screen resolution, but not the graphics

akaneko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there a way to make the screen display less tiles without changing the graphics?

uglywolf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You mean something like [Zooming]? Which your map is like closer to the screen?

If that's the case, why don't you check out Galv's Screen Zoom?

Last edited:

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It changes the graphics, I mean just makes the screen display less tiles, everything is bigger
It does not do anything to the graphics. They remain at their 48x48 tile size. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do if it isn't resolution related.

C64_Mat

System Masters
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Screen Zoom is a great solution if you have small spaces which don't need to scroll, but it'll be more work than it's worth to actually make a full game playable whilst zoomed in due to the fact the camera tracking, boundaries etc still work on the assumption you can see what the game's resolution sees.

You need to change the resolution of the game using a plugin.

Screen resolution refers to the quantity of pixels which can be maximally displayed across a full screen, therefore - in 2D artwork at least - directly affects the amount of information you see, which sounds like what you want.

So for example, tiles in MV and above are 48x48 pixels square.

If you were working in a 480p resolution (480 pixels from top to bottom), you'd be able to see ten rows of those tiles across the display of the full screen. This is a resolution 480 pixels top to bottom, divided by the 48 pixels of one tile from top to bottom.

If you were working in 2160p (aka 4K), you'd be able to see a whopping 45 rows of tiles across the screen. This is a resolution 2160 pixels top to bottom, divided by the 48 pixels of one tile top to bottom.

Of course, different displays have different maximum resolutions and, depending on whether the image is filtered and smoothed or not, at lower resolutions images will look either blocky or blurry, as there's less information being displayed in the actual physical space of the screen.

I hope that helps you to make an informed decision on how you'd like your game to look and play. Try and lock this down first, because changing it afterwards when dealing with 2D tile and sprite based graphics is a nightmare, as you end up either cutting out our creating extra material to match your display. This is especially true if you're using a custom UI.

akaneko

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Screen Zoom is a great solution if you have small spaces which don't need to scroll, but it'll be more work than it's worth to actually make a full game playable whilst zoomed in due to the fact the camera tracking, boundaries etc still work on the assumption you can see what the game's resolution sees.

You need to change the resolution of the game using a plugin.

Screen resolution refers to the quantity of pixels which can be maximally displayed across a full screen, therefore - in 2D artwork at least - directly affects the amount of information you see, which sounds like what you want.

So for example, tiles in MV and above are 48x48 pixels square.

If you were working in a 480p resolution (480 pixels from top to bottom), you'd be able to see ten rows of those tiles across the display of the full screen. This is a resolution 480 pixels top to bottom, divided by the 48 pixels of one tile from top to bottom.

If you were working in 2160p (aka 4K), you'd be able to see a whopping 45 rows of tiles across the screen. This is a resolution 2160 pixels top to bottom, divided by the 48 pixels of one tile top to bottom.

Of course, different displays have different maximum resolutions and, depending on whether the image is filtered and smoothed or not, at lower resolutions images will look either blocky or blurry, as there's less information being displayed in the actual physical space of the screen.

I hope that helps you to make an informed decision on how you'd like your game to look and play. Try and lock this down first, because changing it afterwards when dealing with 2D tile and sprite based graphics is a nightmare, as you end up either cutting out our creating extra material to match your display. This is especially true if you're using a custom UI.
I just want the screen to show less tiles but it doesn't affect the battle screen, i figured out how, thank you

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
:biggrin: :thumbsup-right: Hello!

Try this, enable the Community_Basic Plugin, it comes with the RMMV:
Community_Basic-WindowSize.png

Use resolutions divisible by 48.

Edit:
I just want the screen to show less tiles but it doesn't affect the battle screen
Sorry, I don't think I understood your request, I did the test now and depending on the size the battle is with menus and enemies superimposed on top of each other.

o_O

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"16. Do NOT contact other members by private message, on the forum or status feed, inviting them to put additional tools (such as leaderboards, ads, etc - whether yours or another person's) into their game."
Oh no. Necessity is the mother of invention. Do I want to know what happened?
Early WIP for my next entry. Since it's early you're going to need to wait a little longer than usual. What's that? You'll find out in my next update!
12.PNG
20 festive cards can now be unlocked in BiteMe!

The cards are permanent, but can only be unlocked in December!
Once the year is over, you won't be able to unlock the cards, or to upgrade it.
https://johndoenews.itch.io/biteme-storymodeCard141-160-Ad.png
Finally showing some updates again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuNWukng