Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Dang, that's unfortunate. Well, here's hoping it's soon then. :p

I did notice the Yanfly console was reporting errors in the pixi.js file, they definitely weren't happening before 1.3.0. Wonder if that's related.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are a lot of issues.  You should usually expect that immediately after an upgrade, when the plugin developers haven't had time to update their plugins.  Long story short, at this stage it doesn't seem to be a plugin problem, so if you want to discuss the upgrade, this thread probably isn't the best place ;)

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Certainly, if the issue is, in fact, with MV itself, rather than the plugin, then I guess we're all set here. :p

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I seem to have fixed or at least helped the problem by increasing the width and height of the tilemap object.

alias_Tilemap_initialize = Tilemap.prototype.initialize;
Tilemap.prototype.initialize = function () {
alias_Tilemap_initialize.call(this);
this._width = Graphics.width + 64;
this._height = Graphics.height + 96;
};

You may want to change the 64 and 96 to something else depending on your results. I was using 32x32 tiles, so I tried using multiples of that.

@Shaz Making this a parameter might help users. I had success (as far as I can tell) with adding the tile width * 2 to the Graphics width, and the tile height * 3 to the graphics height, so you may want to make that the default. Or just use the default in the base scripts and tell users they can try changing it around to see if they get better results

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would probably be a "no" because 1: I do not modify that function or use those variables at all in the plugin, and 2: this is not an issue with the plugin as people have reported it when not using the plugin.

The correct solution would be to wait for the next update when KDKW will fix the issue with their own scripts themselves.  In other words - my plugin adds functionality to the core scripts - it does not fix their errors.

Seriously guys - the latest version of MV is only days old.  Give them a chance to list the remaining bugs and get them fixed.  Stop expecting plugin creators to jump in straight away and update all their plugins - things take time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That would probably be a "no" because 1: I do not modify that function or use those variables at all in the plugin, and 2: this is not an issue with the plugin as people have reported it when not using the plugin.

The correct solution would be to wait for the next update when KDKW will fix the issue with their own scripts themselves.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that happening with the plugin turned off. Fair enough. Still, I hope the code snippet I posted can help some people.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If I made the change you are suggesting, then I would have to monitor all the MV updates to see when they fix the problem, and I will have to modify my plugin again to take the fix back out (because their fix might not be the same as your suggestion).  Use it as a workaround if you can't wait for an official fix, sure, but it shouldn't be a part of a plugin that isn't causing the issue.  Changing the plugin would also not help those people who are having the issue who aren't using the plugin.  Maybe make a new plugin as a 'fix' so everyone can use it.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If I made the change you are suggesting, then I would have to monitor all the MV updates to see when they fix the problem, and I will have to modify my plugin again to take the fix back out (because their fix might not be the same as your suggestion).  Use it as a workaround if you can't wait for an official fix, sure, but it shouldn't be a part of a plugin that isn't causing the issue.  Changing the plugin would also not help those people who are having the issue who aren't using the plugin.  Maybe make a new plugin as a 'fix' so everyone can use it.
I agree, that is a better solution.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
bump, I'm wondering how this plugin is working for people using it?  I am thinking of giving it a try since I prefer 32x32 tiles but also prefer the MV engine to Ace's.  

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't looked at it since 1.3.1 was released, but I plan to port my game to MV (after much debate and delay) and will be using it, so if there are issues I should find them and fix them by the end of November.

Allerka

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's all working fine for me now, I'm not longer getting the screen tearing issue. However, I don't remember what exactly it was I did to correct it. I believe there was some re-importing of assets. Or maybe one of the updates to MV took care of it. I don't quite remember. It works, so I'm happy. :D

Nimbus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just wanted to report an error that I am running into. I don't think that it's related to the black screen issue that was discussed above, so it seems to be more directly related to the plugin than the engine.

I just updated my RPG MV from v1.1.0 to v1.3.1 and my HD tilesets seem all jumbled up now. I attached a comparison shot to illustrate what I mean. The tiles seem to get replaced as if things were not sized correctly. However, I made no adjustments to the image files, I simply updated the engine and followed the directions on the update thread.

I have my plugin set to 96x96 tiles with an HD A1 image at 1536 x 1152 instead of the default 768 x 576. As you can see in the screenshot, it works perfectly in v1.1.

I have tried turning off all plugins aside from Change Tile Size and the issue persists. I also made a brand new project with no plugins aside from this one, but it was still messed up. When I turn off the Change Tile Size plugin and revert to standard sized tiles, the graphical issues go away.

Upon pressing F8 in the playtest, I get the following error:

WebGL: INVALID_VALUE: texSubImage2D: dimensions out of range pixi-tilemap.js:602

The error goes away when I turn this plugin off, so I assume it is related. Apologies in advance if this issue is caused by the engine and not the plugin. The source of the trouble seems to be over my head though, so I was just wondering if @Shaz or anyone else around here might know what could be causing it. This is one of my favorite plugins so it would be a real bummer if I had to stop using it. Thanks for your help!

ChangeTilesetProblem.jpg

ChangeTileset_ErrorMessage.jpg

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's working okay for me in 1.3.1

Some things to check:

- is your img/tilesets image the 48x48 sized one?

- is your img/newfolder image the 96x96 sized one?

- does the plugin point to img/newfolder?

The error message (and that line in the script) almost seem to be saying the source texture is too small to copy the relevant parts.  As if your img/newfolder contains the 48x48 sized image.

If it all looks good from your side, would you be able to zip up the new project you made for testing purposes, and pop it up onto dropbox for me to take a look at?

Nimbus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm that is very odd that is works fine on your end. Not sure if relevant or not, but the issue happens AFTER I update my project using the 1.3.1 NewData folder. If I load up my backup copy (made with 1.1) in MV 1.3.1 without copying over that new js folder & index.html, I don't have any of the graphical issues.

I double checked and:
- The img/tileset folder is the 48x48 ones (768 x 576 for A1)

- The img/HDtileset folder is the 96x96 ones (1536 x 1152 for A1)

- The plugin points to img/HDtileset

Here is a zip of my test project.

For reference, I attached a screenshot of what I am greeted with upon a brand new test play.

Thank you so much for your insanely quick response!

TestWorld.jpg

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you don't copy the 1.3.1 js folder into your project, then you haven't updated to 1.3.1.  You might be using the new version of the editor (if there are changes to the editor), but the game itself is running as the older version.  This is why when you don't copy over that folder, you don't have the problem.

I'll take a look at the file and let you know what I discover.  It's taking a while to download - something's slowing down our internet connection today.

Edit: @Nimbus the problem is that your tileset images are too big.  It's not a bug with MV or the plugin.  You're using a tile size that is twice the default, which means your png files are also going to be twice as big.  If I copy the 48x48 tiles into the HDtilesets and change the plugin to use 48 as the size, it works fine.  I'm not sure if the limitation is with javascript or Pixi, but the images are just too big for it to handle.

The plugin was actually created for people who wanted to continue their games from earlier engines, where the tile sizes were all smaller than MV.  While it should work with larger tiles, you're still limited by what the engine/language/libraries can handle.  I tried changing it to 72 and it still didn't show properly.

Not sure there's anything I can do to help you with this one, if you're set on using such large tiles.  Sorry.  You might be better off sticking with 48x48 and seeing if you can find a zoom plugin that will make everything look twice as big.

Nimbus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aww that is quite disappointing. You're right though, I wasn't really using this plugin for its intended purpose. I just liked being able to increase the tile size so I could create higher resolution artwork and make things bigger and clearer on screen.

What makes me most curious though is the fact that everything worked just fine in version 1.1 of the engine. Tiles appeared the way I intended and it didn't spit out any errors. I may just revert to that version and slowly work my way through the individual updates to find out exactly which release started the issue. Even though newer updates provide some added features and bug fixes, I was happily on 1.1 for a long while so that might be my best option for the time being.

Thank you so much for all of your help! It really made my day how willing you were to jump in and lend me a hand. :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1.3.0 and 1.3.1 introduced the newest version of Pixi.js which had a lot of performance improvements.  The line throwing the error is from one of the Pixi scripts.

Nimbus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you! I'll revert to 1.2 until I absolutely need to update.

(I was secretly hoping I could do 1.3.0 to use Yanfly's Doodads plugin, but the very nature of that plugin would have probably conflicted with larger tiles even without this issue).

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might still be worth considering a zoom script with 48x48 tiles.

Nimbus

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's actually a really good idea! Essentially, a zoom is the exact thing I was using your plugin for. It never dawned on me that I could change the zoom of the camera instead of the size of the assets, but a quick search already brought up a couple of good ways to do this.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I love that we can go beyond the standard resolution with MV, but everything just feels so tiny to me when you do that. A zoom plugin definitely seems to be my best option!

Edit: I used Masked's Map Zoom plugin and managed to get the exact results I was looking for! Rather than using double sized tiles, I just have to set the zoom level to x2. I need to re-export all of my characters so they're not huge, but since I created them in the smaller size and blew them up to match the larger tiles, it should be a fairly painless process. I very much appreciate your help, @Shaz!

ZoomPlugin.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been averaging 2-3 hours sleep for almost a month now. Starting to space out all the time ^^;
tfw, after your game being intensively played by many people, after 5 years, patch after patch released, suddenly an innocent person reported another bug.
"Never let a sense of morals/
Prevent me from doing what is right"
- Clutch
OMFG. I had typed \fiPhilosophia Hermetica\fi in a forum post and didn't notice it for AN HOUR.

(Anyone else ever catch themselves doing this?)
Stream will be live shortly with a guest stream! Feel free to drop by and listen to whatever weird stories we're telling~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TsuruharaYuki