Change Tile Size

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Shaz, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    18x16 is 288
    9x16 is 144

(I made a typo in my previous post - wrote 18, looking at your map size, rather than 16 which is the tile size. It's got to be the height or width x the tile size, so 16)

However, do you have a screen resolution changer that will also change the game screen width/height? The default is 17x13 tiles, so if yours is only 9, you'll need to resize the game screen itself. The community basic plugin that is added to new projects by default should let you do that.

Play around with those numbers a bit and make sure the game window is the right size. See how that goes.

And you must be using another plugin for that overlay because the default parallax only does the background image. That image might also be the wrong size, but the plugin might also be incompatible with this one, so you might need a little fix there too.

2. BITDev

BITDev Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmmm. I'm still not 100% sure it's working as intended... I sized all 3 parallaxes down to the proper sizing for the map, and now it's created a 'tiny' window in the dead centre of the screen that is, far too small.

I also already have a resolution changer, so no worries on that! as for what plugin I am using, I'm currently using https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...nimated-parallax-add-on-updated-7jul17.80917/ as it's a goodie for what I want to achieve here.

as for the issue itself, I'm not sure if this was intentional or not from the outcome of sizing things down? but if so, here's a screenshot of what happened after I adjusted it to 'fit'

Is this how 16x16 is intentionally suppose to be? I feel as though it might be an error on my part just not fully realizing how tiny it is. :rsad:

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So the parallax looks okay now, but the overlay doesn't. The overlay wouldn't cater for a resized tileset. Maybe you should just put that at the normal/full size and see if it works properly.

16x16 is really tiny. The default MV tiles are 4 times the size. So your window is going to be really small, or you're going to have a massive amount of tiles on the screen.

4. BITDev

BITDev Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I decided to try to resize it to its normal scale and using instead, a 32x32 instead of 16x16, and, it seems to have progressed into the RIGHT direction! it's perfectly sized and looks about right, the only issue is the non purple - area at the top is where the editor parallax is peeking out from, and, it seems to be locked and unable to scroll, and is still, essentially, 'locked' in one position of the screen.

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It can't be perfectly-sized if it's not covering the entire game window. Check your sizes again. If you can't get it, I suggest you make a new thread and ask for help with the parallax/overlay plugin. I don't believe it's got anything to do with this plugin.

BITDev likes this.
  6. GRass8888

GRass8888 Villager Member

First Language:
    portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i am quite confused oh what is necessary to do
    is there any video tutorial?

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @GRass8888 it would be really helpfull if you tell us what part confuses you - we can't provide you with help unless you give us details.

that said, the point that a lot of people failed to understand is that you can only change the tilesize in the engine, not in the editor.
    So basically you need two complete sets of tilesets to work with this plugin.
    One set needs to be resized to 48x48 even if that results in quality loss. This is to be installed normally and will be used in the editor.
    The other set of identical tilesets just in their original size will placed into the folder of the project, and this plugin will redirect the engine to use those other tilesets instead of the 48x48 ones.

8. GRass8888

GRass8888 Villager Member

First Language:
    portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    literally everything i even tried to re-read lot of times

9. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then say what you've done and where you're confused. There are already steps on page 1 that walk you through everything. If you want help with everything we're just going to repeat what's posted there. Be more specific and show screenshots so we can see how you're trying to set it up and where you're getting stuck.

10. Restart

Restart Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm going to try to break it down to be more step-by-step

Step 1: Gather the three sets of files you need:

1) The plugin script -> download from pastebin
    [​IMG]
    Put that in your project folder in /js/plugins

2) The new 'real' tiles of whatever dimensions you want to use in your project.
    You'll need replacement tiles if you wanna replace the tileset, duh ;p
    Put these in a 'img\REALtilesets' folder.

3) Placeholder 48x48 tiles for the RPG maker editor.
    We can't change how the editor program works, so when you are using the editor, you have to obey its house rules - and that means you have to use 48x48 tiles in the editor. Practically speaking, that means you should resize your 'real' tiles so they fit in 48x48. If you're doing 16x16 tiles, for instance, you need to stretch your entire tilesheet by 300%.

I'd suggest putting them in img\PLACEHOLDERtilesets

If you're finding resizing to be tedious, the easiest way to resize multiple files is to use Irfanview's batch conversion options. Just open up irfanview and press 'B' to bring up the batch editing tool.

Select all the image files, then press 'add' to add them to the bulk conversion list.

Set the output format to png, then click the 'advanced' button. You'll want to set the resizing ratio appropriately to turn your real tiles into placeholders (so if you have 24x24 tiles real, set the ratio to 200%). Keep resample off, because it causes blurring between adjacent tiles. Click 'ok' to leave advanced options.

Set the output directory to where your decided to keep your placeholders ( I recommend img\PLACEHOLDERtilesets), then click 'start batch'

Step 2: Install the plugin
    -Press F10 to bring up the plugin manager
    -Double click on an empty bar to get the add plugin window
    -Click on the blank bar under 'Name:' to bring up 'change_tile_size(mv)'
    -The 'parameters' box now has parameters listed. The first one should have the name 'Tile Size' and the value '48'. Double click on the '48' to change this value to whatever tile size you want to use.

Step 3: Edit your game
    While using the RPG Maker editor, you need to use your placeholder tiles (because the editor refuses to change from 48x48). That means that while editing the map, rename the 'PLACEHOLDERtilesets' folder to 'tilesets'.

You will now be able to edit your map and events and stuff, as normal. Everything will be weirdly stretched (and if you used irfanview, there might be weirdness with transparency), that's just how RPG maker rolls.

Okay, done editing your game? Then

Step 4: Playtest your game

Rename your 'tilesets' folder back to 'PLACEHOLDERtilesets'.
    Rename your 'REALtilesets' to 'tilesets'
    At this point, you can build and run your game, and it will use the new tileset size.

Need to change anything? Go back to step 3, and rename your folder accordingly.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Shaz likes this.