Change to People2 sprite

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Little Paw, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, the difference is that Arin was generalizing, you were specifically name calling. And no, I did not like his message where he called men disgusting, but one in which he was talking about respect.

2. Bellflowers

Bellflowers Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think we should really be playing nice with people who deny women's humanity, but i dont want to break the rules.

I don't agree. there's never a reason to do these "sexy" character designs, they don't have to have a character who it would "make sense" (as if that were possible) to be designed a sex object. There is definitely something wrong with sexualuzed characters.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  3. trouble time

trouble time Victorious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Im not going to do a full response to @Bellflowers because im tired, and i decided to wait to reply and while the bantz would ve legendary iy doesnt fit here, but i just wanna say, my character designs are fine, sexuality is fine, and im actually black.

consolcwby likes this.
  4. Bellflowers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Uh huh. Yup. Sure. A POC with a skinhead as his profile pic. Totally. Im sure. Absolutely.

5. Adonael

Adonael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You really didn't read my post or understand it did You?

consolcwby likes this.
  6. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Bellflowers Unless you're saying that you're actually a bird, you can't really judge someone based on their avatar. Please be civil.

Tuomo L likes this.
  7. trouble time

trouble time Victorious Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    But Lorgar's my guy.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Lorgar

I mean i guess i do like vulkan but the traitor ptimarchs are almost all cooler than the loyalists because theyre so flawed. I mean Lorgar's quest yo find something to believe in eventually leafing him to daemonology and corruption is powerful stuff.

Tuomo L and consolcwby like this.
  8. Bellflowers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I understand your post. What I'm saying is that you don't have to create a character that is sexual based on their origin because as a writer you control their origin. Swap out your chain-thong amazon for a culture that values actual armor and you never need to make that kind of character. Swap out a succubus for literally any other lind of monster. Even if theres some in universe explaination or story to it, it doesnt have to be there."

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It doesn't have to be, but if they choose to put it in there, they are free to do so.

10. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Bellflowers Why would he do that if he liked that? It's his work we're talking about, stop trying to censor it to fit your political views. You are free to write/draw whatever you wish on yours.

consolcwby likes this.
  11. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I read through this thread and I gathered at some point it was a merging but I'm not even sure what we are trying to talk about here anymore (which is generally a sign that things have started getting toxic or the discussion is starting to run its course). It doesn't seem to be about the sprite change per se anymore. Which as far as I'm concerned is something I'm not going to take a real guess at. Maybe they decided to censor it to make it conform to a global market more and make it consistent for all people in their market, maybe it was simply some artistic choice like Cel said, literally maybe its just someone banking on a look from a popular game. I don't think assuming either way on something helps with this, its not going to get anyone closer to getting an answer and all its really doing is creating some sort of division in our forum that I don't think it really needs.

It seems the discussion is moving towards more being about sexuality in characters and how that's shown and if that's okay? I'm not particularly for all the goofy way female characters tend to be overly sexualized; like unrealistic armors and what have you mostly because it ruins the sense of immersion and realism which many games strive to obtain; It happens to men in games as well, although less so and in different ways often.
    I'm not going to say its wrong though, if people enjoy something in particular like that in their games then that's fine by me. Games are meant to appeal to different types of people from the get go. If people enjoy their muscle bound guys/over masculine warriors, etc... or scantily clad women, etc...in their games then there is a gametype for them. For other people there are other games, I'm not also going to try and fathom all the reasons why a company might choose to censor something but one reason might legitimately be to make their product more appealing to more people, which is frankly just good business sense a lot of the time.

As developers we can create our worlds and games how we see fit and we can try to make them how we desire them and for whom we desire them. If you want your game to have that sense of sexuality have it, if you don't that's fine to in my opinion. I also think one thing gets overlooked with sexuality in characters; the discussion is often it doesn't have to be there or its okay but I think often it gets ignored on whether its right for the world, the audience you are presenting to and if its right for the character. If you are trying to build a realistic world with your game, sexuality is one aspect of that as its part of real life and real people. Some people display their sexuality more than others, some people don't. Often times I think it gets overlooked that sexuality can be an actual trait of some specific individuals. For some of those individuals they might have a multitude of reasons, maybe it empowers them, maybe they use their sexuality to their advantage, or maybe they've become caught up in their own appearance and ego, maybe its how they feel comfortable.

12. Bellflowers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes they can do that but they really shouldn't. Its like @Celianna said "Hooray for people minding what they say and show to the world.

How is this censorship, suggesting that it is is basically saying that any criticism of anything is censorship. For one he wasn't talking about a game, I mean I mentioned someone else shouldn't have done their art the way they did earlier (and I stand by that, I don't think you'd disagree if you saw it) but not to Adonael. Its been established that when a creator chooses to change their work that its not really censorship its just someone choosing to do the right thing.

its not just some simple thing though, I'm saying that the way things are over-sexualized is hurting people, it leads to the victimization of women. Sure some people like those games, but some people also like to murder small animals and that's wrong just like this is

13. Vox Novus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Bellflowers That's a generalization and being exposed to some sexualized characters in a video game is not going to make any reasonable moral person into someone who wants to harm women. Also making the assumption you aren't referring to things like hunting either with your ending statement, comparing people who like sexy characters with someone who kills small animals for pleasure is an extreme and inaccurate comparison.

14. Bellflowers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    just cause something is a generalization doesn't mean its innaccurate. and my comparison wasn't the best (its late where I am), but I stand by my statement. Its not about "reasonable moral people" cause reasonable moral people can see the kind of harm that's done. If it really didn't affect people then nothing would ever need to be changed anyway.

15. Vox Novus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Bellflowers I think you and the discussion are getting far beyond the scope of game development now if you are going to go into what your definition of moral or reasonable people is (and granted I lead you into that). You are also choosing to look at and make inferences from bad cases without looking at the whole (you are generalizing the entirety of sexy characters in games, specifically the depiction of women and making a blanket statement about the people that play those games). Thinking you can reasonably label a large group of people like that is a gross misnomer.

Parallax Panda and consolcwby like this.
  16. Bellflowers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Vox Novus I already explained that as developers people can choose what to put in there games, any justification for sexy character designs is also made up and not a shield against criticism. They don't have to be that way. It flat out sends a harmful message when people portray women as sex objects and because whatever explanation some one comes up with is just as fictional as the boobs it doesn't matter the justification. The realism excuse doesn't fly either, i mean people don't have health bars or respawn in real life, and as far as i know the vast majority if video game armors don't bother with helmets and pauldrons are usually way too big. They used a similar excuse to exclude POC from Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and it doesn't work there either. Its a game, sacrifices to realism are made for fun, but that also shouldn't excuse harmful messages

17. Vox Novus

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Bellflowers Just because games have functional unrealistic elements like a health bar doesn't mean they cant still evoke realism and immersion in other aspects. I answered you in my initial comment, I raised the thought if you are trying to portray a realistic world, a setting, a story; does not sexuality factor in to that (paraphrasing myself)? Can it not factor into that? Sexuality is a genuine real life trait some individuals show, simply choosing to not express it in a setting with characters that are meant to be life-like or based on real life is ignoring something about people that some people legitimately express. Should we ignore anger, hatred, sadness, pain, violence? Should we ignore every setting where those types of things would be expressed just because we as developers can, If you don't personally want to that's fine, if that's not your audience that's fine. That's not what you chose to respond to me about though, you chose to respond with a generalization for how you view the types of people who play sexy games and somehow came up with a comparison to people who have psychological issues and murder animals for pleasure. Notably to, I was not even specifically talking about sexuality and women but that's what you made it about.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  18. Bellflowers

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Vox Novus i already said the comparison wasn't the best, and realism doesn't hold any relevance. You addressed the health bars, but not things like lacking helmets or stupid armor 'designs like...well any armor in Warcraft really. In fact realism is often sacrificed to make games more fun. Its more consistency and relatability people look for in games but they say realism even if that's not the most accurate, its better you strive not to break suspension of disbelief, its why people can get immersed in completely bizarre settings because the world fits together. That's why people can accept giant swords and space ships. Displaying sexy characters is different than displaying hatred or violence, those can be displayed negatively without something like sexy villianess which is its own problem. Violence also isn't as complex a thing as sexuality, its why children's media can,be fairly violent but sex is basically kept out.

19. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To suggest that violence isn't as complex a thing as sexuality is to ignore the vast amount of research into the subject.

This thread has moved far from the OP's question about a particular sprite. If it continues to do so, I shall conclude that the original discussion has run its course and will close the thread.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  20. Adonael

Adonael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A waitress often dresses in tight close and a a revealing top and also, not always, flirts in way to get tips.

Males even do this. Wearing shirts to show off their arms or in some establishments wear nothing but speedos showing off their whole body to make tips and money.

What if you want to make something historically accurate? Brothels were comment place where both women and men, yeah men, are paid to act sexual and well, we all know what happens there.

What if it's a character by design flaunts their sexuality? I know plenty of women and men alike that do this.

God forbid having a woman in a bikini on a hot summer beach right?

The view you share @Bellflowers is not a mature one or a logical one. I know women are very competitive and I don't understand why so many have problems with women/ media they think are sexier than they are or what have you, but the real issue is the toxicity and animosity women have toward one another.

You can't realistically ignore sexuality whether or not it is in books, movies, games, etc. I would go into detail citing sources and why, but as the moderator already said, this post is on the verge of closing.

Also, just because someone is being portrayed as sexy does not automatically qualify as that person being treated as an object. Fem's have really skewed that word.

To be treated like an object is to be possessed and only there for the user's enjoyment when they want you. That's the end all be all of it.

So if the character is sexy and acts sexy, yet is portrayed with love and depth of character, they are treated as a character and not fan service or a way to see women/men as sexual objects as you implied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.