Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Change VNM's Message Caret
upload_2018-11-28_0-29-21.png

Introduction
This tutorial helps you change the Message Caret or indicator found in VNM's default messages.

The Tutorial
  • Create a spritesheet of your message caret. Okay, let's say I want Ralph to terrorize my Visual Novel Maker game.
upload_2018-11-28_0-40-8.png
Behold his majesty
  • Afterwards, import this spritesheet in Visual Novel Maker using the Resource Manager. Just make sure it's in Graphics/Pictures. I personally like putting it in a folder called "New UI" just so it's organized.
upload_2018-11-28_0-37-16.png

• Go to Database -> Animations and replace the Message Caret Animation on slot 1. Remember, all the frames start at 1 and not 0!
upload_2018-11-28_0-41-48.png
  • Next, go to the Script Editor. Copy Layouts -> Templates -> Template_MessageBox and Paste it to a new folder with a new name just above Main. This is important so updates won't overwrite your changes. Here's an image of how I handle it.
upload_2018-11-28_0-48-33.png
  • Now on the New_Template_MessageBox (or whatever you called it), look for Lines 63 and 96 that contains the code:
Code:
"image": "message_caret",

and then rename it. In my case it's RalphCaret
Code:
"image": "RalphCaret",

You can easily replace it by pressing CTRL+H and inputting it like this in the search and replace bar:
upload_2018-11-28_0-53-6.png
Afterwards, press the Replace button.​
  • Now hit save and test play and it should be changed!
upload_2018-11-28_0-54-45.png
OPTIONAL:
  • Depending on your image, sometimes it may not align correctly with your messages. You will need to do an extra step. Look for Lines 51, 52 & Lines 84, 85. The codes should look something like this:
Code:
$ -> o.dstRect.x = o.parent.controls[0].message.caretPosition.x
                $ -> o.dstRect.y = o.parent.controls[0].message.caretPosition.y - 20
Code:
                $ -> o.dstRect.x = o.parent.controls[0].message.caretPosition.x
                $ -> o.dstRect.y = o.parent.controls[0].message.caretPosition.y - 10

The first code handles Custom Show Message and the other is for regular Show Message.
What you want to do is add +/- offsets to the x/y depending on your needs.
Let's say I remove the -10 offset in the .y axis:​

upload_2018-11-28_1-0-9.png

Now as you can see, he's not aligned to the message at all without that -10 offset. That is the purpose of those lines.

And that's about it!
Enjoy!​

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Well, I've decided I'll take a break on making Forgotten Eclipse...and Make a mod for FNF
Trailer for my new game.
last one for a while
MythicRuss wrote on gothicvoid's profile.
hi, i was looking thru ur awesome stuff, and was looking around the internet, how in the heckin heck do i get the hiddendoors to open? im addng them to the doors event but they just appear as solid walls, btw am total noob lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiboQuinn